Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,535 times

Advertisements

I, also, don't think it is a good idea. Generally, in retrial, you are standing on concrete floors for your entire shift. Your legs will start to hurt really badly. The quick, repetitive motion will start to hurt your joints. You will be expected to be able to lift and carry really heavy things. You are watched constantly by managers and your speed is constantly evaluated. Your schedule tends to change which makes it hard to plan other activities. Your wages are really, really low and after earning a high income you will wonder why you are putting up with all the cr** for this pittance.

As a part-timer it would be unlikely that you would be offered health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
I read your initial post and came to respond with - Do it! Life is short.
However when I read that an additional $1500 per month for insurance would be prohibitive , I reconsidered. It seems with your level of education if your desired part time job ends, you should be able to pick up some contracting, teaching , tutoring or other work that would cover the cost to self pay insurance. This seems something that at age 61, with your earnings and financial situation, you should be able to make work.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:54 PM

890 posts, read 882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbheeler View Post

Pros? Cons? Do you think this is a crazy idea?
CRAZY! Retail is hard work. Either keep working your job, or spend down some savings and buy health insurance.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
No offense meant to you but two people "PhD-level professionals" working for 30 years and ONLY have "just over a million dollars" .... I must say you do not know how to live frugally at all.

I don't think your idea is crazy but I believe you are going to be shocked at what $9/hr is going to do for you.

However, I could be wrong and you knew you were blowing your money having a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
quite honestly I was thinking the EXACT same thing but you were brave enough to "say" it knowing full well how this board will react . Now lets sit and watch while we both have our a$$es handed to us.
I don't know the specifics of their finances, and understand what you are saying, but PhD doesn't translate to wealth or outrageous income. A dual income PhD couple each earning $110k per year in high tax, high expense areas may be very middle class lifestyle wise. $210k annual income after taxes in NYC, LA, San Fran, etc. is comfortable, but hardly lavish, after taxes and housing expenses. Now that income in much of the Midwest, South, or intermountain west, would be exceptional, and failure to accumulate some decent wealth would indicate a pretty labish lifestyle without much thought to the future/retirement.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
No offense meant to you but two people "PhD-level professionals" working for 30 years and ONLY have "just over a million dollars" .... I must say you do not know how to live frugally at all.

I don't think your idea is crazy but I believe you are going to be shocked at what $9/hr is going to do for you.

However, I could be wrong and you knew you were blowing your money having a great time.
what? Phd's do not automatically make large sums of money and/or large salaries. Also many are teachers and professors.

And many Phd's acquired their Phd because they love knowledge, enjoy learning, love having expertise and enjoyment in the field of their endeavor, and like the challenges.

It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder about acquiring knowledge so you tried to find a way to put these two people down - learning and acquiring of knowledge are honorable goals, and making contributions to society should not be derided.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-30-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 05:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
I worked in a group home 12 years ago and a 60's-age women had the "sleeping shift". All she had to do was be there in case something happened, which almost never did. She got to sleep.

She only had the job for insurance and was able to insure her husband also, who was self-employed. The premiums took her entire paycheck, but it was the only way to get insured.

Easy and fun job. Then again, this was awhile back, and in a progressive state like MN. Just a thought. Not all jobs are retail.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
What makes you think you would be happy with a $9 hour job? Even part time.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM

154 posts, read 149,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
''ACA'' is ''Affordable Care Act'' is ''Obamacare''
I know. Someone had said something about ACH. I guess that was a typo.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbheeler View Post
I am a PhD-level professional, aged 61, with a lucrative career in my chosen profession. I've been doing this for 30 years and I'm worn out/burned out. My husband, aged 60, is also a PhD-level professional, still happy and engaged at work. We have just over a million dollars in savings/investments, own our home free and clear, and have no debt or dependents. The main thing that keeps me from retiring right now is the prohibitive cost of health insurance (he is on mine, and has none at his job).

A wild idea, or so it seems to me: what if I chucked it all, and just took a part-time job in a retail field that I would enjoy (related to my interests and hobbies), that included health insurance? I realize we're talking maybe $9.00-$10.00/hr, and I'm used to low six figures. But my husband makes nearly that much, and we know how to live frugally. I think I would actually be happier, would enjoy the more flexible schedule, and would still have health insurance.

Pros? Cons? Do you think this is a crazy idea?
Why save up for if you're not willing to spend it.
Over and over, people accrue a sum of money then spend their time worrying about the money.
Sorry but you're starting to sound silly, I'm retiring from retail in 2 months, I don't think you would last a month, its very hard physical labor, ok if you're used to the pace but you'll find it a shock.
Personally I wouldn't hire you.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
I would keep working until 65. Retirement lasts a long time for many people these days. If you retire at 65, you'll probably have at least 20 years of it. Or stop working and get a major medical policy and pay for the mundane things out of pocket until you're 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement