U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 PM

10,129 posts, read 12,376,133 times

Advertisements

Not sure what to think of this.

I wonder.... I served 20 months 12 of which were in Vietnam but was honorably discharged and given 24 months credit. If you left Vietnam DEROS'd with less than 5 months left they just cut you loose because you were worthless to them anymore.

I found this link.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/military.html

69 is right around the corner for me so I've been in the full time work force for over 50 years with a heck of a lot higher earnings then a E-4 or E-5 got back then. With combat pay I seem to remember getting $333/month but I would love to pick up an extra $100/month.

Yeah, but with just 20 months active service my gut tells me I might be lucky to pick up an extra $2/month but we will see.

Oh, and sorry if this has already been discussed... I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Edit

From the website

Quote:
From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record
I guess they already gave me the credits. Drafted in 1968 cut loose in 1969.

Last edited by nicet4; 05-06-2017 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,573 times
My husband had received that same notice several years ago. We went to the Social Security Office and asked about it. We were told that the calculations made and showing on his Estimated Benefit Statement already includes everything that is due for his military service and that the information contained in that email is incorrect. For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. And this has already been figured into your benefit.

AARP says: How do I apply for these special credits? (How Do Military Special Credits Work? | Social Security Benefits - AARP)

A: According to Social Security, you don't need to. They will be automatically added to your earnings when you apply for retirement or disability benefits. However, it may be wise to ask your Social Security representative whether your work record shows that credits have been added to your account. Meanwhile, you may be asked for proof of your military service.

The person who sent us that email has since retired and has not mentioned to us any significant increase in his benefit due to serving during those years and beyond.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:33 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times
Certainly worth asking about. Even though I've retired and started Medicare, I'm delaying SS for the time being. When I do apply, I'll make sure to ask about this. Won't hurt to ask, and as the cliché goes, the worst they can say is "no".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,441,279 times
This is something I wasn't aware of but after looking at what they do, I doubt there will be much and possibly zero impact for me for the 4 years I was on active duty.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 AM

484 posts, read 478,424 times
So, for my three years of active duty I would get an additional $3,600 added to my lifetime earnings? Doesn't sound like that will make any difference in SS benefits when the time comes to enroll. Maybe an extra dollar per month??

Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 PM

5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
So, for my three years of active duty I would get an additional $3,600 added to my lifetime earnings? Doesn't sound like that will make any difference in SS benefits when the time comes to enroll. Maybe an extra dollar per month??
It won't add anything if your active duty years do not become part of your "highest 35" years of earnings used to arrive at your PIA benefit amount.

PIA = Primary Insurance Amount

Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
It won't add anything if your active duty years do not become part of your "highest 35" years of earnings used to arrive at your PIA benefit amount.

PIA = Primary Insurance Amount
I agree, my 3+ years of active duty US Army in the 1970s averaged less than $5K per year. This was way below my average annual earnings in the civilian workforce for the past 39 years, so a small extra amount added to my annual average military earnings will not impact my PIA calculation.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,890,013 times
The 1957 to 2001 service is already calculated in the benefit. The applicant does nothing. It was the pre-1957 service that required the applicant to present documentation. Those folks are either already on SS or dead.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 PM

870 posts, read 2,090,698 times
I have 27 years of "substantial" earnings (you need 30 years not to be impacted by WEP, see below), a defined term with a yearly income that varies, depending on the year. When I went in for my SS benefits to my local office I had a full breakdown of my yearly earnings prepared for the agent. They did not have one of my military years in their records and that gave me an additional year of "substantial" earnings.

This is important if you are impacted by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), that is, if you receive a pension from an entity which did not take out SS monies. Quite a few municipal governments do not take out SS (my last twenty years were with a MA agency which didn't take out for SS).

Rich

Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
So basically to ensure that SS has accounted for all of your military service years it is important that you bring copies of your DD214's. This is especially true if you have multiple DD214's covering different periods of time. If you have served in the reserves or national guard you will have DD256 and NGB Form 22 respectively. These may or may not help increase your SS benefits but it does not hurt to bring them while you are applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement