U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 AM

67 posts, read 140,798 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SW Missouri from Colorado when we retire next year. We bought a condo in a gated golf community just about a year ago. We have been spending as much time as possible there since we purchased it so we can start getting aquainted with the other people in the community. We have made friends and learned to take advantage of the ammenities. We love the general area because there is so much to do and since it is a tourist destination there are plenty of opportunities for part time work if we want it. The off-season is pretty quiet but golf is open year round if the weather permits and there are lots of social activities at the club house.

It took us about 5 years to find our "Place" but it was definately worth the time spent. Funny thing is we came back to the first location we found even down to the first community we looked at! I know we will still have some adjustment when we move but I think getting aquainted before we move will really help with the transition.

The biggest transition will be missing the kids and grandkids. Luckily they all love the area we are moving to so we expect to see them often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM

857 posts, read 4,471,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Then we moved to Georgia. Now don't get me wrong, I like Georgia. A lot. But suddenly, I'm in a new place with a new culture, and to my surprise I find it more challenging than I expected. I used to love moving to a new place, but for the first time in my life I am terribly homesick. I am spending more time than I would like to alone. And the dreary winter days are depressing--that's a first! Thank god spring is coming, I'm sure things will look much better soon. Anyway, I just thought this was worth discussing. I still like the idea of moving to a new place for retirement, but in hindsight I wish I had waited a little longer to adjust to retirement first before also having to adjust to a new town. And I wish I had moved in the spring, not the winter.
When I moved to GA many years ago I felt like it was a big adventure. I acted like a tourist. My son and I would go into Atlanta every chance we got and see what was there... CNN, World of Coke, Cyclorama, Zoo Atlanta, etc. Nowadays I try to avoid going into Atlanta, but there are plenty of things to do in the burbs.
What county did you move to? there are so many schools around GA that you could take some classes at. That might be a good place to start getting familiar with the area. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
I'm in Lumpkin County (Dahlonega). It's a cool town, and has a number of good features for retirees. I think we just made the move a little too soon. We moved in the winter becuase I lucked into finding a tenant for our Virginia house... but if I had it all to do again I think I would have waited to adjust to retirement for at least a year before moving. And I like the idea of visiting your new property for extended vacations before moving, too. Shoulda done that!

But, it's ok now. Spring has suddenly arrived and it's amazing what a difference that makes.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,048,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm in Lumpkin County (Dahlonega). It's a cool town, and has a number of good features for retirees. I think we just made the move a little too soon. We moved in the winter becuase I lucked into finding a tenant for our Virginia house... but if I had it all to do again I think I would have waited to adjust to retirement for at least a year before moving. And I like the idea of visiting your new property for extended vacations before moving, too. Shoulda done that!

But, it's ok now. Spring has suddenly arrived and it's amazing what a difference that makes.
That's my plan after I retire. A month to test live the new place. I figure I'll have a year's worth of work to finish the remodeling I need to do to spruce my house up anyway so that will also allow me to adjust to retirement before I make my big move.

In retirement classes I've taken, that is one of the things they warn us about - not making too many changes all at once. It is a huge life change.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:08 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,884,992 times
If you like animals, volunteer at the humane society there:
Become a TLC Volunteer (http://www.tlchs.org/Become%20a%20TLC%20Volunteer_files/become_a_tlc_volunteer.htm - broken link)
I adopted one of my cats from them when they had available animals at a PetsMart in Atlanta. I was living in Georgia at the time.
Being a foster parent for a couple of kittens or helping to socialize dogs or puppies will keep you busy.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:32 PM

857 posts, read 4,471,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
If you like animals, volunteer at the humane society there:
Become a TLC Volunteer (http://www.tlchs.org/Become%20a%20TLC%20Volunteer_files/become_a_tlc_volunteer.htm - broken link)
I adopted one of my cats from them when they had available animals at a PetsMart in Atlanta. I was living in Georgia at the time.
Being a foster parent for a couple of kittens or helping to socialize dogs or puppies will keep you busy.
Excellent idea. My brother and my sister both do lots of volunteer work with animals, and it had become their social life. You meet lots of people with a common interest and you get to do something good for some deserving pup or cat.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM

6,988 posts, read 6,981,700 times
Louisville, KY

We are retiring from So. Cal to KY - although we have visited the Louisville area often for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

Catnap,

I am from KY originally and haven't lived there in 15 yrs., but I sure do remember that everyone who moved to Louisville from out of state absolutely loved it there. I'm sure you will, too. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,951,905 times
Thanks Staywarm2 - we can't wait to move - glad you have fond memories of KY - we certainly have been impressed.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

200 posts, read 234,829 times
Great subject! As my dh and I near retirement, we toy with the idea of moving south to warmer climates, but dread the idea of leaving our children and grandchildren behind. Family is important to us. I do have a sister who would love to have us join her in FL, but she tends to hibernate during the opressive summer heat. So I'm left wondering what advantage there is over 6 months hibernation from the heat to 6 months hiberation from the cold. As my sister points out, "you don't have to shovel the heat." Good point! But I still wonder if it's worth the move. We believe we would be happier just a little further south, south eastern KY, eastern TN, western NC or northern GA perhaps. We're even considering southwestern MO and northwestern AR. We do love the mountains, the treed ones, not the rocky ones. The advantage to MO and AR is how centrally located they are for travel around the country. And there's Branson for added amusement. But is leaving family worth it? We don't have the finances to make a wrong decision. We have much to think about, so I'm very interested in hearing about the experiences others have had or are having with their retirement moves. I hope we hear from many more on this subject.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 20,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Give yourself some time to get through it.
I believe knoxgarden has got it right. I once had a whole book on the subject of moving to a foreign country. The authors found that people who had moved to a different country tended to go through three stages: (1) Elation over being in a new and fascinating place; (2) Frustration over being in a place where nothing works like it should; and (3) Adjustment to the new environment when it became familiar.

Hey, I moved from Virginia to Georgia myself. I got married there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or