Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Is the OP, Normie, still in Georgia??
(He started this thread in 2008)

If still there, give us an update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I recently came to the same conclusion as Normie...that I will need some time in between retirement date and moving date...time to adjust to not working, and getting a better idea of just how much money I will really have to live on. And then a good amount of time to plan the move, wherever it might be. I think moving in the spring or fall is the best time (no extreme weather to deal with and no major holidays).

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I recently came to the same conclusion as Normie...that I will need some time in between retirement date and moving date...time to adjust to not working, and getting a better idea of just how much money I will really have to live on. And then a good amount of time to plan the move, wherever it might be. I think moving in the spring or fall is the best time (no extreme weather to deal with and no major holidays).
We waited about a year retired in place then moved 2,000 miles in September. That was two years ago and we have no regrets on any score. It was relatively painless.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We waited about a year retired in place then moved 2,000 miles in September. That was two years ago and we have no regrets on any score. It was relatively painless.
Our plan is to stay in place for a year or two because we figure just adjusting to retirement will be enough for awhile. We do plan to travel extensively before we relocate.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is the OP, Normie, still in Georgia??
(He started this thread in 2008)

If still there, give us an update.
No, we finally decided to move back to Virginia. Georgia is a wonderful place but I discovered I missed my friends, family, and familiar places much more than I thought I would. We started making trips back "to visit" and those trips became longer and longer, so after awhile we faced reality and moved back.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
No, we finally decided to move back to Virginia. Georgia is a wonderful place but I discovered I missed my friends, family, and familiar places much more than I thought I would. We started making trips back "to visit" and those trips became longer and longer, so after awhile we faced reality and moved back.
It's good that you made the move while still young. I hope you reconnected with all your friends. And you can always visit Georgia in its best time of year.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
This is an interesting thread idea. It was be very interesting to hear what the other side finds out after they move.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Can I ask why you moved in the first place?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Can I ask why you moved in the first place?
We had taken many wonderful vacations there and loved the town. It's a really special little town, and we still love it. We moved back because we missed a lot of people that we knew back in Virginia, not because we hated the town. Also, living in a vacation spot seemed a little boring after awhile; we were used to living a busier metro area. When we moved back, we had no difficulty reconnecting with our old friends, in fact it was almost like we had never left. I'm glad we rented out our house instead of selling it. I'm also glad we made the move even though it was difficult. It was good to know what it was like to move to our dream house in the mountains even though we didn't end up liking it as much as we'd hoped.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
We had taken many wonderful vacations there and loved the town. It's a really special little town, and we still love it. We moved back because we missed a lot of people that we knew back in Virginia, not because we hated the town. Also, living in a vacation spot seemed a little boring after awhile; we were used to living a busier metro area. When we moved back, we had no difficulty reconnecting with our old friends, in fact it was almost like we had never left. I'm glad we rented out our house instead of selling it. I'm also glad we made the move even though it was difficult. It was good to know what it was like to move to our dream house in the mountains even though we didn't end up liking it as much as we'd hoped.
Very wise to hang onto your home base. I have very fond memories of Northern Virginia. I lived there in the 50s when my father was stationed at Quantico and again in the 70s when I was stationed at the Pentagon. We seriously considered it for retirement but neither the cost of living nor the tax structure were really favorable for our retirement incomes.

Is Virginia still owned and operated by VEPCO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement