Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 PM

11,928 posts, read 8,254,040 times

Advertisements

I've been in the same spot for about forty years but I know what you are saying I think. I am slowly becoming invisible.

That is not always a bad thing. Young people would be surprised at how much amusement you can have when people aren't noticing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,925,079 times
I've been invisible for a long time. As soon as no one can see me, I will visit the closest bank vault.

Seriously, if you live long enough all your family will be gone. You have to make your own life. Doesn't matter if you live across the country or in your parent's basement.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
I think this would be a concern primarily for the very elderly or those who have few remaining family for whatever reason, and those who recently moved to an area without many connections.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,995,735 times
I absolutely know I am vanishing ! I was always 5'5" all my life. Today I am 5'1". I guess that's called vanishing (or shrinking). LOL

Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,189,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
That's a fascinating idea..

Its hard to fathom my relatives moving south..

My "people" are New Englanders, and sad to say, elitists.

To them, my current status is that of the dictionary photo of something like a hillbilly.

I am not saying that's how "New Englanders all think.. I said my people.

So there's a double edged sword for me.

I left because of their bias.
Well then be the first. Someone has to start to spread the roots.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM

761 posts, read 599,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I do feel that way, in the sense that *who* I was, my identity, is gone. I have to recreate myself here in this new life, find a new identity, and figuring out how to do that.
I'm sure your identity has come with you..
maybe once you share it in this new life, it will shine once again.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It might depend on how tightly you are connected to that home base and family. I lived 150 miles from my home and family for 35 years so I got used to being out of the loop (I have a tiny family). Now, I moved another 1000 miles four years ago and I don't see much of a change. It is relatively easy to stay connected via the internet or skype or other means. I actually have a new life that I enjoy but have ties back to the old life as well. I have old friends coming to visit this week who are passing through town. I take a trip back home almost every year.

One thing I have going for me is that I live in a town on a main east-west interstate route so I'm a convenient rest stop when people are making cross country trips. I never planned it that way but I get to see old friends or family more now than when I lived 150 miles from home.

That east-west interstate has made your connection even tighter.

That's really a great stroke of luck and a piece of information to those who might be

planning to move in the future.

A strategic move (even though it wasn't intended).

Old 05-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Some people just have a hard time moving away. They don't want change. They get "homesick". When I was a young person I went away to college, several thousand miles away, and in effect started a new life. My wife and I have done that numerous times. Each time is a new adventure with new opportunities and new experiences.

If you do not have an adventurous spirit and new adventures and new opportunities are not appealing maybe you should move back to your "roots". Don't be surprised it that turns out different than you expect also. Most of us find we cannot live in the past even if we might want to.
I think as we age our spirits change along with our realization of mortality.

We have lived away from "home" for 15 years.

Everyone has moved so there's no real "home base".

I think life would be more dull there too.

I know people are brusk there, not a lifestyle I would desire to become accustomed to ever again.

Yes, your right about the adventure part..
time to get the fires lit. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is so true. Today is what matters.

After I retired I was going thru stuff and items that were from my life in the town where we lived up to 15 years ago-before we moved to our present and final location. I actually felt weird looking at that stuff. I don't quite know how to put it, but I felt this is not me-this is a past life that held mixed memories. I ended up getting rid of all that stuff. It felt very freeing.

The Sierra Nevada land is home and always will be. Our life is built here and where we used to live isn't and actually never was.

Sounds like nirvana.

Everyone would be so happy if it was one of life's goals to acheive that kind of homesite satisfaction.

Spectacular!

Old 05-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We are living in Central Mexico and lived here for 5 years earlier in our retirement. Neither of us are Latin American, nor is our Spanish as good as we'd like. We love our adopted country.

With Skype phone video (free!), email, free unlimited calls to US from our landline in MX (for only 20 bucks a month for the total landline service!)...easy to keep in touch.

Our new home here is much larger, has a great swimming pool and a separate casita for guests so we expect lots of family/friends to visit.

...and I'll bet the food is wonderful!

this is so awesome to hear.

thank you for sharing this. You are brave, but make it sound easily adaptable.

So, one question.. is winter there cold at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement