U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 AM

888 posts, read 810,434 times

Advertisements

I am already on Medicare and making quarterly payments. The beginning of April I applied for my SS benefits and a few days later spoke with a representative who called with some other questions. Here is the concern and only because it's a govt agency.

The rep and I agreed that I would see my first check deposit toward the end of June. The problem is that when I look online it says my decision is still pending. I requested a SS call back and she said it will say that until I receive the letter in the mail that says all is a go. How long does this letter typically take to get sent out?

I have a quarterly payment due in a couple weeks and understand that if I end up double paying they will eventually catch it. That's not my concern as much as this feeling I am lost in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 AM

5,394 posts, read 21,393,457 times
I had a similar situation and thought SS would handle my payment but when double checking with medicare they insisted I needed to send a payment. I sent one, SS did make a deduction, and six weeks later I got a check reimbursing the payment.

This is an organization that has such convoluted systems that they actually change your medicare number based upon what method you use to pay them. I'd pay them to be covered but don't be surprised if you get it back.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 AM

4,361 posts, read 3,698,498 times
I think it will all work out correctly in the end. I would pay the medicare payment if their is any question.
When I signed up I knew exactly what should happen. I made an appointment and went to the SS office so I could discuss the procedure and make sure all was done correctly. I spent the next 6 months making corrections. Some of the information I was told by SS was incorrect and I said I thought it was incorrect in the meeting. They said it was correct. It was not. But as I said in the end it worked out but it took a lot of paperwork and my knowing the when SS was giving me the wrong answer.

By the way on my next round of problems I went to a different office and they were excellent in solving the problems.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I had a similar situation and thought SS would handle my payment but when double checking with medicare they insisted I needed to send a payment. I sent one, SS did make a deduction, and six weeks later I got a check reimbursing the payment.

This is an organization that has such convoluted systems that they actually change your medicare number based upon what method you use to pay them. I'd pay them to be covered but don't be surprised if you get it back.
Yes I have been told by a few people that they do catch up with the overpayment. My biggest concern now is that my application will be good to go and the first check for retirement is made when they said it would begin. It's not the end of the world if it is delayed. I'm self employed and going to continue working anyway. It's more that nagging fear of getting lost in the system as usual.

I will say that I did get a phone call just a few days after applying online. From what I understand it can usually take about 6 weeks before you see the letter after conferring with the rep on the phone.

Another thing for anyone reading. Twice after making a call I elected the 'call back' option and both times they were within a couple minutes of the estimated time. Once was with a person you would probably like to befriend, today was with someone on temp assignment from a DMV someplace.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 PM

210 posts, read 150,873 times
I don't imagine everyone's experience is exactly the same but, when I went on Medicare, the premium was taken out of my federal pension check. I called around my 66 birthday to get it changed since it needed to come from SS which I had just started. It was a mess from there and took a long time to get it changed. I was paying twice for awhile but did finally get my money back about 5 months after the double charges began.

Just an irrelevant thing - Before I started SS on restricted application, my Medicare number used my SS. This changed to a Medicare number using my husband's SS since I was delaying my own. That was another hassle.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM

6,795 posts, read 3,862,667 times
Be sure to keep the benefits letter. You'll need the information on it when you file taxes. (Don't ask how I know)

Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
Just an irrelevant thing - Before I started SS on restricted application, my Medicare number used my SS. This changed to a Medicare number using my husband's SS since I was delaying my own. That was another hassle.
Yes, the SS number on the card is the one whose benefit is paying the premium. DH's has mine. Just curious, it's not been a hassle for us, why has it been one for you?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM

So back to the question. How long does it usually take after verifying info with the phone interview does that letter come in mail?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:31 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,399,632 times
With birth date in August, I applied on-line 3 months in advance in early May. The "verifying" phone call was in mid-May. The letter came in early August with first payment due in September.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:48 AM

210 posts, read 150,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yes, the SS number on the card is the one whose benefit is paying the premium. DH's has mine. Just curious, it's not been a hassle for us, why has it been one for you?
At the same time I fell and broke my wrist really bad. It required an operation, hospital, therapy, doctors, etc. So my number changed while they were billing the old number. Sometimes the old number would be billed even though I asked the doctor's office to change it to the new number. Anyway, I ended up with two accounts at mySocialSecurity, with one showing some of the billings and one showing the others. It took awhile to get them to understand the problem. When they did, it looks like they linked them and merged the new billings. The current ones and old ones remained in limbo. (If I remember right.) This happened to me but I have never encountered anyone that experienced the same problem. That's why I said it was probably irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or