Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I just ran across this Navy training film produced just fifty years ago. How times have changed! I wouldn't have needed this film because my mother had drilled it into me at an early age. I know that this applies to almost everyone else here as well, but I believe that we can all enjoy a look back to better times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vVV8hRTxgE
Great video. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 AM

547 posts, read 506,742 times
There where many aspects of society back the that were positive.
Someone will always be along to bring up race because you know, racists talk about race.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Someone will always be along to bring up race because you know, racists talk about race.
Of course there were many positive aspects of society back then. However, most of us didn't live in Mayberry USA and actually had to deal with real-life problems that are certainly not reflected in a film like this one, or in so many of the television shows and movies of that era. And whether you like it or not, the "good old days" weren't that terribly good for women and people of color. That's not racist; it's reality.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
So people of color and women should ignore their reality?

People of color talking about the reality of racism makes them the racist?

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a perfect example of white privilege. As white people, one can ignore racism and pretend it doesn't exist because one doesn't have to deal with it everyday. Being free of such a concern is a privilege.

I challenge you to read this article from a white man: https://www.yahoo.com/news/7-things-...408985077.html

Why is it so hard to believe that people not like you are possibly living a different reality?

Old 05-14-2017, 10:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
It is not racist or sexist to understand the status of your history. Do you not realize segregation was legal and the law of the land back then? In what universe is knowing and understanding how that impacted you racist? Please do tell it should be enlightening! Are you suggesting that if I say I don't consider 1840 a great time to live because of slavery that I am being racist? Please share why my view of the world is racist, if I disagree with the good old days not being good for me or others?

Old 05-14-2017, 10:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So people of color and women should ignore their reality?

People of color talking about the reality of racism makes them the racist?

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a perfect example of white privilege. As white people, one can ignore racism and pretend it doesn't exist because one doesn't have to deal with it everyday. Being free of such a concern is a privilege.

I challenge you to read this article from a white man: https://www.yahoo.com/news/7-things-...408985077.html

Why is it so hard to believe that people not like you are possibly living a different reality?
Perhaps it is the status of others that makes it the good old days? Makes you wonder why someone would cares if you don't consider it the good old days. What triggered it in this thread is how the treatment of woman then was considered noble and good. If they feel that way that is their right, however to characterize the recipients of that behavior as something negative because they don't value it the same way?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:09 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile 1967

Hard to believe this video was made the same year as The Summer of Love.

I've never seen such a video but it's sad "manners" and "thoughtfulness" had to explained to young people or any person for that matter.

As a female, I have felt discriminated against but I attributed it to my vision issues rather than being female. I do remember a couple of times where women were treated differently than men.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
It 's crazy looking back where you could smoke (theaters and airplanes). All of our cars had seatbelts we just never used them.
I'm originally from the Chicago area. Theaters all prohibited smoking. My parents owned a second home in Colorado Springs. It was the same there. I never saw smoking in a theater until I first visited NYC.

People smoked in restaurants, airplanes, and generally where they would remain seated for a time. Business offices, including those of physicians, always had ash trays. I've never smoked so my memories of this are a bit scattered.

I believe that it was about 1965 when seat belts were first standard equipment on cars. My father was an early believer in seat belts. He made sure that our cars received them from the dealer before delivery. I wonder how many people today would use them if laws didn't require their use. I wonder why it was deemed necessary to pass those laws in this "enlightened" age.

Does anyone remember the great newsstands of the fifties and sixties? They had an unbelievable selection of periodicals and paperbacks along with a variety of emergency supplies. If I forgot my handkerchief, I could buy a single cotton handkerchief in a cellophane pack for a quarter. Drug stores had them as well. I hated Kleenex because I was allergic to it.

Does anyone remember tire ashtrays? They were miniature tires about five inches across with a glass tray in the center. Tire companies gave them to auto repair shops. A gas station owner gave me a new one, probably fifty years ago. I still have it on my desk. Mine, however, sees use as a paperclip repository.

Who besides me misses Post Toasties, Noodles Romanoff, Derby Tamales, Sara Lee Mince Pie, and really rich coffee cream? Remember when sweetbreads along with chicken livers and scrambled eggs were staples of late night dining? Remember when cars were big, comfortable, and fast. Now I still drive a 2002 pickup that I treat like gold, 496 cubes with a six speed stick including both compound low and overdrive, high and low range. I wish that I'd bought three of them. Remember when different makers' cars were instantly recognizable?

I'm fortunate to live where I do. Teenage girls can walk through the park at midnight. Men still hold doors for ladies. We have no "homeless." My local park is named Yellowstone.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-14-2017 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 03:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Fake news is nothing new; it's been with us for years. Honest news has always been welcomed, however. Here's an interview with Senator Joseph McCarthy from 1952. Based on the fake news of both the old days and of the present, it may come as a surprise to many. Longines Chronoscope was one of the most respected news presentations of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbjGG_vux8

Old 05-14-2017, 03:54 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
See, the "good old days" were only good for a very select group of people. Certainly not for me as a woman. Probably not for anybody of color.
"50 years ago"

I was drafted into the Navy in 1965..........52 years ago....and can assure you "people of color " had it good in the Navy.

Some played the "race card" quite well to ensure that white superiors gave them special consideration for fear of being labeled a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement