Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did the majority of your retirement assets come from?
Sale of my house? 7 8.64%
Sold my business 2 2.47%
My weathy kids gave me the money 0 0%
401K Investment returns from employer contributions 7 8.64%
401K Investment returns from my contributions 48 59.26%
Sale of individual stocks that went up 7 8.64%
My spouses assets and invested assets 10 12.35%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 955,964 times

Advertisements

Not much inheritance to speak of. What little my parents left, was divided many, many ways. I have a lot of brothers and sisters. The inheritance we received was more a symbolic gesture than anything substantial.

What assets I have now came from:

- Working really hard and contributing the max over the years to my retirement accounts. Plus employer matching.
- Stock grants and stock options from working in the computer software industry during the boom years. Two IPOs.
- Selling a succession of houses for much more than the purchase price.
- Growth of my invested assets throughout the 1980's, 90's, 2000's, and the current decade. There have been bad market downturns, but I've always held on for recovery.

When I finish working, I'll have a modest pension that I guess could be counted as an asset if you consider that it's income for life. I came to the public sector quite late, but I guess if I had come to it quite early, I'd have missed out on all those Silicon Valley stock grants and stock options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 AM

12,996 posts, read 7,368,577 times
Hard savings. Hard investing. Shoot-for-the-moon.
Rental condo was an unexpected inheritance and is extraordinary to our retirement income. Nice but not necessary. Rental functions as replacement to annuity income, a tax modifier, and a future taxfree stepup inheritance to our heirs.
We have also approximate like income sources current and future in SS+small pension, deferred GWLB annuities, and trading account. We have LTCi. age 67/70.
We derisked in 2008 half of our retirement accounts into annuities. Kept remainder consisting of 401k in 5h3 401k. And what was left in personal IRA went into trading.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:54 AM

10,807 posts, read 14,871,712 times
I, for one, have very little in the way of these assets that you speak of. Fact is if we cashed in all our assets right now we wouldn't even break even because we still have a mortgage on our home.

But, in my opinion, we are far from being destitute.

Nobody ever gave me anything for free in this life, I've never received an inheritance or anything like that, but what I have done is work hard and long in so doing we have a steady monthly income stream in excess of $5,000/month without having to work that is exempt from all state and federal taxes.

Our retirement budget is such that we should be able to easily save $1,000 a month in retirement. Yeah, we'll be able to pay off what is left of that mortgage really fast.

Assets come in many forms.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,915,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Why are assets from a spouse in the same category as invested assets? What happened to just plain working and building assets?

This survey does not seem to have been thought through. I will skip it and move on.
I too was puzzled by this choice: "My spouses assets and invested assets".

If the OP wanted to minimize the number of choices, he/she could have replaced the word and with or for unmarried people, people who do not need to rely on a spouse's asset or people with joint invested assets.

It would be much better if the two types of assets (spouse's assets or invested assets) are listed separately.

I also did not participate in the survey because the choices do not include our case. Our biggest assets are the joint invested assets.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,919,342 times
I also skipped the survey as it was open ended with limited response options.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 AM

105,901 posts, read 107,860,524 times
same here , no response .

Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM

10,296 posts, read 8,462,957 times
ditto

Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,302,238 times
Not there yet, but unless I manage to get into Stealth Start Up and it IPOs as the one who pushed aside Facebook, it's going to be my 401K contributions, with probably ~ a tie between employer 401K kickers and the inevitable sale of the Hillbilly Shack which happens to be in a mega expensive zip code that includes pre-IPO Facebook people.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,378,003 times
I'm not retired, so I'm answering for family members.

My grandparents always owned their business and were just good savers. I don't believe they ever had any sort of 401k or IRA. They had quite a bit just in the bank. They did have many long term (30 year?) government bonds which matured and were cashed in, and they bought rental properties and just plain old dirt and then they sold their business and then eventually, once they grandpa was gone and grandma was in a care center, the family house was sold. They sold off the various dirt and kept the rentals. So their retirement was a little bit of everything EXCEPT the standard 401k and IRA.

My parents are going to be almost exactly the same if they ever retire (dad's 65 and mom's 63). Self employed always and they have a lot of rentals and various pieces of dirt. They still own and run their business. But I don't think either of them have any form of 401k or IRA. They don't have that much money, but they do have a lot of assets. If/when they retire, they will have a lot of rental income, and several properties they can sell off, as well as the sale of the business.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,212,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
Is it just me, or is it odd that there's no choice for "made a lot more money than I spent".

That's my story.
Us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement