Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

Most perceived mistakes were followed up with...Lesson learned!
My bio dad had zero wisdom. He did though ( in his hypocrisy) say to apologize when we do harm. Funny, 56 years after harming our mom, he wanted to sincerely apologise. My Mom didn't accept deathbed apologies...Lesson learned!
I like the saying...So how did that work out for ya?!!! Most eat crow on their own.. I simply realize. It's their lesson to learn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM

242 posts, read 231,429 times
Now, my mother......her pearls of wisdom went like this:

Talk is cheap (she said this when my father would dream about buying land in Maine)
Be good (the parting words when each of her four daughters would go out)
If you don't like it, you can leave.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all
I have to see it to believe it!

Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Be independent, don't depend on others. So I did go to school, got a degree and being supporting myself ever since.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Never knew my dad other than a few visits. Literally no advice or help at all, ever. My mom's choices have served more as a cautionary tale, I suppose. The one thing she did tell me, that has been of use in my life everyday, is that you must stand on your own two feet and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. You have to do it for yourself, because no body cares more about what happens to you than you do.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
My dad was killed in 44, thus no advice from him. I was indoctrinated into religion to the point of having a sponsor that wanted me to go into the priesthood. The only advice that my mother gave me was to keep an open mind. I followed her advice and became a very happy atheist.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
My mom always told my sisters and me to make sure we were always able to earn our own living and never become totally financially dependent on anyone.

Not too common advice in those days but very good nonetheless.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
My mom told me to take typing in high school in case I "needed something to fall back on" since they'd planned for me to go to college anyway - which I did, followed by grad school. Even so, who knew that EVERYONE would be expected to type all their own reports, "memos", etc. when computers came into general use. Those old guys were crying when they lost their secretaries and had to type everything with 2 fingers!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:48 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
My dad told us to not make the same mistakes as him. We needed to stay sober, go to college and get an education, and not have too many children. I followed that advice except for too much drinking when I was a young adult. Of course, my mother had the opposite advice on education and family planning. My dad was also adamant on not buying things on credit while my mom took any credit she could get. You can see why they divorced when I was in first grade. I mostly followed my dad's advice, making larger purchases with six months no interest and paying it off and today I put everything on credit cards but pay off the balance each month. Again, I had some credit card issues early in adulthood but nothing serious.

I don't remember them providing that many "pearls of wisdom." My dad would say "If you don't like it, you can leave" but mostly I remember him saying "The world doesn't owe you a living" and I have always taken that to heart. I think his concern was some of my mother's family who had substance abuse issues and/or did not like to work but would expect hand outs. Because we were poor, he was concerned that we kids would develop an attitude that we had been treated unfairly by society and expect compensation or feel that we were above the rules. And a couple of my siblings have that entitled attitude. My dad had his weaknesses but he was a real hard worker.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Not much. I learned mainly by example...of things not to do or ways not to be.

I was one of 5 and not "advised" much. But I did hear my dad tell someone once that if he couldn't pay for it (in cash), then he couldn't afford it. That stuck with me. I've never carried debt except house & car, and paid those off as soon as I could. I'm also inclined to recognize when I can't afford something, taking pride in recognizing that (but not happy about it).

Much wasn't expected of girls in my family, back in the day. We were expected to marry and have a mess o'kids. I didn't.

Well, there was one thing my mother taught us. When we'd ask a factual or historical question, she'd say, "Look it up." We had encyclopedias. Thus began my lifelong compulsion to research everything, which led to my career job.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I realize, looking back, that my parents gave me next to no advice and guidance. They were very big on negatively judging any decisions I made, however. I've tried to give my kids the benefit of my experience and on things I learned the hard way, and they have appreciated it.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement