Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We are in the process of having a brand new 325,000 square foot replacement hospital built. It should open at the end of the year. One of our guys was going to retire this year and he was asked to stay for another year to get past that transition time of moving into the new place. He took us up on the offer and now will not retire till the end of 2018.
If I were in that situation I'd negotiate at least a 25% raise, if not 50%...I'm not sure if that would be enough if I had my mind set on retiring. So, put your money where your mouth is - and if they didn't want to pay I'm sure they'll get along just fine - they find excuses for everyone and everything else. EVERYONE is replaceable, even (especially?) the CEO and no one will remember in a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
At the time, the company was doing buyouts to reduce headcount in certain job categories - particularly overhead roles. HR got crosswise with a lot of people because many senior people they did not necessarily want to lose - took the buyouts. I picked-up a final year before my planned retirement with full pay and benefits ... without working. The multi-billion dollar company hasn't had any more buyout plans and the HR folks who promoted it - were pretty much promoted 'out-the-door.'

Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
We've had some "upper management" personnel changes/retirements over the past 5 years.

The folks coming in are much more amenable to change - and have a laundry list of projects the people in their positions prior did not have - the will or the stomach for.

They will want my help. I will have to say no.

Having been laid off once in my career - and having my office downsized when the recession hit 10 years ago - it's kinda satisfying to write my own exit. Not that I don't want to help them - it's just that my priorities comes first - instead of theirs.

I am very lucky to be in that position.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old retired folks View Post
A retired friend of mine loves to tell the story about the regal company President of his final employer begging him to stay with the company at least two more years when he announced his retirement. He had very unique skills and the customers just loved him and told the company president that they may cancel the contract if he did not stay.

The regal company president treated everyone like slaves and always called people to her office instead of going down to their office to talk to them. When the company president called my friend down, he would not go down to the president's office but asked the president to come to his office to chat. She would not do it because it destroyed her power and image. Neither would budge so he just retired on schedule, the contract was canceled and the company lost lots of money.

To me, this is the ultimate "take this job and shove it" I am going to retire NOW, story! Let those SOB's beg for you to stay and then tell them to take a hike!
Yep, they are desperate for me to stay but I'm out the door.
I ran my own businesses for decades, not into silly childrens games of winner and losers or battle of ego's.
If the boss wanted me in the office, I'd go.

Freedom is doing the adult thing when you have the power to do otherwise.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
She didn't beg me not to retire, but she knew I was eligible to go and offered me a promotion with a chunky increase beyond what is normally given for a promotion. I took it. It was a public sector job, and the increase boosted my final average salary, making my pension significantly better. I stayed an extra two years, but it was worth it.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Yes. I retired because of a disability. My supervisor was devastated when I gave my notice. She asked me if I would be willing to work part time and I said I would but the company wouldn't allow it.

She told me that if I were to leave she would be demoted or at least transferred to a less vital department within a few months. Three months after I left she was transferred to her former department in a lesser job.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
I worked in a rather small machine shop. The owner, founder, main boss treated all employees as if they were fools but he was unhappy that I wanted to retire. I did work part time for the 1st year being careful to follow SS rules.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
If you think you can't be replaced, just put your head in a bucket of water and when you lift it out, see how long the water takes to replace it. Today, there are a lot of foreigners more than willing to take your place for less money!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you think you can't be replaced, just put your head in a bucket of water and when you lift it out, see how long the water takes to replace it. Today, there are a lot of foreigners more than willing to take your place for less money!
Foreigners cannot do my work - they must be citizens.

Heck - even most citizens are unaware of how government works.

Case in point - the current office holder in the White House.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
I wasn't begged but my supervisor had to ask the general for an extension for me because I was a key component in the pending change in database programs.

I was caught in a RIF being a soldier (national guard over 20 years) every 2 years the military side of our office cringe and hold their collective breaths to see who will make the cut and who doesn't. In 2015 was one of those years. I was given a 9 month notice of termination. The trouble for my office was the change over was scheduled for November 2 months after my departure. They asked if I would stay knowing that I had time and resources to just retire and I told them I would but I was not going to ask the system and that they had to. I did that for a couple of reasons. It was selfish of me to request it. I also had no logical reason to. They agreed and began the process. I at the same time put in my retirement papers knowing that OPM requires a good three months to process it and if I waited until the last possible moment I would hurt only myself.

After going through regulations and other requests they could only get the general to approve a 6 month extension which I agreed to. I wrote a letter to OPM to hold my retirement for the corrected date and all was well. They even brought in my replacement about 2 months prior so that he could get the lay of the job. I actually had nothing to do for those two months as the new database turned out to be less maintenance on our end. They began a new path for the position. I left my legacy behind with my leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement