Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

Thank you phonelady for bringing up this topic. I am petless right now and I keep debating with myself about getting another. Not only am I concerned about who would care for a pet if I traveled, but also taking care of them when you are ill or immobile, even if that's temporary. My past few pets required fresh vegetables and it was always a pain to have to go out in bad weather to buy it. The same with live crickets and I can't stand stocking up on crickets. I've been thinking about a cat again, but concerned about the expense and the care requirements. At least, kitty can eat packaged and canned food. I don't want the responsibility of a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I will only want a cat or two when I am older. Less maintenance. I will miss having a dog, but pet other people's. and even walk them. for a while I didn't have a dog and would tell neighbors with more than one to 'give me one' to walk, lol.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't even want them before i retired . too restrictive .

Just what I was thinking.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Thank you phonelady for bringing up this topic. I am petless right now and I keep debating with myself about getting another. Not only am I concerned about who would care for a pet if I traveled, but also taking care of them when you are ill or immobile, even if that's temporary. My past few pets required fresh vegetables and it was always a pain to have to go out in bad weather to buy it. The same with live crickets and I can't stand stocking up on crickets. I've been thinking about a cat again, but concerned about the expense and the care requirements. At least, kitty can eat packaged and canned food. I don't want the responsibility of a dog.
You can order anything online now.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I would LOVE pets but can no longer afford them. The cost of vet bills is prohibitive even when the animal is healthy. If it gets sick there's no way I could pay.

Some foster programs will cover the food and vet bills. Just a thought. Puppies and kittens will generally get adopted pretty quickly, but "mature" animals not so much. I know someone who fosters quite a few dogs.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Why not foster? You get to love the pet and spend time with them but the rescue pays for everything! And you can do long term or short term. Lots of rescues will even deliver food and supplies to you!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:43 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love pets and I am a big dog person. Right now I have a 17yo GSP, a 5yo Weimaraner, and a 2yo Doberman. All rescues. I love them but I know they do restrict my movements. Many times I have had to just stay home because it's hard to even find a pet sitter who is comfortable with 3 large dogs. And they do eat a lot! I have had to admit going forward there will be no more big dogs. The day will come when I can no longer hoist a 100lb dog into the back of the SUV to go to the vet. It's just not safe to have a dog you can't lift in an emergency.

My dogs are well trained and socialized. They are walked regularly and have great lives. When they are gone I will miss them especially since I have never found little ankle biters with the personality of my big guys. I imagine I will always have a pet. If I had unlimited funds, I would probably have a lot of them!

I hear ya! I'm on my 5th Doberman and also have a rescued Collie. Just lost my Pointer/Rottie mix at 14-yrs-old. Frankly, I wouldn't want to live without my dogs - ever. Never permitted to have them as a kid, and it was SUCH a desire of mine. That desire, once fulfilled, never faded - and never will.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I don't have the problem of getting kitty sitters when I go out of town. I've got several neighbors who are more than willing to step up because they like my cat. If they have pets, I return the favor.

It's the what happens if I die first thing that worries me. I've heard there are pet "retirement" homes where someone from a nice pet sanctuary will take a pet in perpetuity for a donation or mention in a will. Of course it's always better if you can find a friend or relative to take the pet in.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well I know when these dogs go to the rainbow bridge , I don't want anymore pets . I would like to travel after I retire and you simply cannot travel with pets . I also don't want to leave a pet behind to have my family have to re home . Do any of you feel the same way ? I have already told my adult kids and my husband that these will be our last pets . two are elderly and probably have 5 yrs at the most , the youngest one is 4 which means she will be close to 14 or 15 when my husband wants to retire . So are there any of you already retired or close to retirement who feel the same ? I also want to note that I wish older people would think about it long and hard before they get a pet for company knowing that the pet might outlive them .
Here's the deal. I don't want a pet to outlive me or to be alive during a time when I am in a terrible decline and can no longer dispatch my responsibilities. There will come a time when having a pet becomes an extreme expression of selfishness and irresponsibility. One man's opinion, YMMV.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I hate to admit it, but I am getting more and more ready to be pet-less. I have 2 old boys age 14 and when they go, it might be the last.

I have always had trouble with animals peeing in the house, both cats and dogs. My loveable dog now has Cushings disease, drinks a ton of water and has many accidents lately. I just moved into a new house, bought all new drapes, and half of them have pee on them already. He is a sweetheart and I love him to death but this is getting expensive. Now he wears a belly band when I am not home.

And I had a cat who insisted on peeing on the dining room carpet no matter what I did. Ended up replacing the whole wall to wall carpeting. The cat had to take valium. I should have done the same.

The vet bills are enormous when you have a sick animal. There are NO inexpensive vets these days. So, as much as I really really love them, I hope I am done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement