U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:01 AM

174 posts, read 108,887 times

Advertisements

I feel I will never be able to have both. My dream house isn't so dreamy, I just want more bang for my buck when I retire and move. Some areas that my husband and I have looked at I really like, however it would not be our first choice. Housing in those areas are so much more affordable. Lower priced, more square footage, lower taxes, near larger cities, etc. and have quite a few amenities we like such as a lake for boating. The dream location would be much closer to the east coast and within a few minutes from the beach. We love the beach and boating. Housing is so much more expensive, as are the taxes, insurance, and much smaller homes. I know it will come down to having to choose one over the other. When I look at the locations we love the best we would be settling for a house I feel I really can't see myself living in. Not at all what we would want. But would the location make up for it? Then when we look at houses in other areas we get so much more and so many options. But would we be happy living in that area? We know we will stay on the east coast, near beaches and where boating is available and near a larger city. We don't want to live in a quiet little beach town. Florida is not on my list, but hubby would jump on it. I think it is too far south to travel out of to get to other states or to visit our children. Given this situation, what factors would make you choose one over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,621,221 times
I'm very lucky. Woooohooooo I found both!!!!! Don't give up so fast!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,085,406 times
Hard choice. Would you be spending more time indoors or out and about. If you are a homebody - a dream home would be the choice - wouldn't it?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:26 AM

7,116 posts, read 3,476,672 times
We never planned on it, but we became a two house couple in retirement. Have a beach house (small town Central west coast FL) and a lake house (village in Central Mexico, on Lake Chapala).

Best of both worlds!!

Old 05-27-2017, 09:19 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
Once we settled on our dream city, we just wanted to move there ASAP and didn't care if it meant we'd have to sacrifice when it came to choosing a house. We were prepared to buy something really modest - possibly a fixer-upper - to get into the specific neighborhood we loved.
As it turned out we fell in love with a dream house here and happily paid considerably more than we had planned. But in our case we could afford it, the price was still under what we had made selling our old home.

My suggestion is to concentrate on finding the best possible location with housing you can afford, then start looking for a home there. If you don't love the location, living in the grandest house in the world won't make up for it.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,470,358 times
How long until you make the jump? Is it right around the corner, or do you have another 20 years to go?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:08 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times
Right where I am, this side of the green, green grass and clover.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 PM

9,274 posts, read 8,342,179 times
Dream location.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:22 PM

13,906 posts, read 25,364,805 times
I would go for the location! It's the same beach no matter what house you live in.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 590,513 times
I agree, go with the location you love. Then start browsing through some home improvement magazines, or surf the internet -- the changes you can make these days are incredible. Check out the changes that designer Mary Carol Garrity [of Nell Hill fame] made to the small lakeside cottage she and her husband downsized to!! You can change the house, but you can never change the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement