Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I think I know now why I dislike burials, saving ashes or visiting loved ones in a cemetery.(human & pet)

Each person should do what brings them comfort, but for me I like remembering their life.
Photos, good memories, stories, favorite places ect.

The remains reminds me of their death or their dead decayed body.

Having ashes around or visiting a gravesite is sad & depressing but remembering the life they lived
is inspiring for me .

I have told my kids I prefer to have my ashes spread at the beach and then there is no
depressing gravesite or ash churn for them. Remember my life, not my death.

I don't want my great grandkids looking at dirty ashes and being told "that is great grandma"
No way.
You don't actually SEE the "dirty" ashes, you know. At least it's cleaner than the dirt most are buried in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessiemom View Post
oh my gosh. Bury them! Sheesh.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You don't actually SEE the "dirty" ashes, you know. At least it's cleaner than the dirt most are buried in!
I know, it's just the idea that bothers me ..
I understand for others it is a comfort.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM

246 posts, read 278,954 times
I have had all 6 of my dogs cremated and have them in beautiful boxes on a shelf. When I die would like to have their ashes spread with mine.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I don't know?....the same thing that non-retired people do with pets?
Never thought it was a "retirement" issue. Is it?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 AM

36 posts, read 27,049 times
I have had many of my pets cremated. You pay extra for a separate cremation, without other pets. I have had three dogs buried in a pet cemetery, then three more cremated. I now have ten boxes of cats' ashes and three more of dogs. I also have six cats still living all 13+ years. I hoped to have us all cremated and ashes spread together, but that does put a burden on those who are entrusted to do it, so I am planning on gathering all of the ashes I now have and mingling them in one container and, since I may possibly be moving to another state, it's a matter of where to spread or bury them and leaving instructions to dispose of my own in the same place. I have moved several times, so there is really no place special to all of us and my pets are my family, so I just need to find somewhere suitable. My other pets from years ago are buried where they were born and lived out their lives but I've lived with as many as twenty cats and three dogs at the same time and most of the cats began as feral. So, if I live long enough to move again, I'll immediately look for a place there for all of us. I do believe in a hereafter and I'm positive the love between pet owners and their pets can never die, so I fully expect to see them all again. :>)

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Why would you not just let a pet go at the vet's? I realize I'm odd in that I don't much care what happens to the body after the spirit departs it (of course, you HAVE to dispose of human remains according to the law)... But I'm genuinely curious... I had one cat cremated... $100... And it didn't really give me any comfort. But, again, maybe that's just me... You can be reunited in the after life without your physical remains remaining together. What if a pet is lost forever?

Old 06-07-2017, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 11,274 times
Went through this just recently when my son had to make the difficult decision to have his Lab euthanized (I know that word according to Webster's applies to an "individual" vs an animal). Regardless, we were able to find a vet that came to the house and performed the procedure. Having been through one of these for a friend's cat in a vet's office this time it was so much better emotionally and private. Claymore died in his own bed in the arms of his best fried of fourteen years. This was a true battle hardened, tough young man I can not ever remember seeing cry since a toddler but I did that day. It still brings tears to my eyes thinking about how my son hugged that dog as we walked down the gravel road with "his" dog for the last time. Him carrying his best friend Claymore like a child as we made our way to Claymore's final resting place dug by his best friend on our own property in a private spot we are able to visit as we wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement