Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 AM

7,153 posts, read 9,253,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing is that eating unhealthy is also eating relatively cheap.

You can get take out from many fast food places for under $5 - if you eat off the dollar menu with no drink, less.

I live in an area with high grocery prices. Eating fresh vegetables, lean meat, etc., is not cheap here. For many people, especially those on lower incomes, it's actually cheaper to get take out than to cook healthy at home.

It doesn't take much of a portion to meet your calorie need when eating heavy with biscuits and fast food. A grilled chicken salad will be far more filling at the same calorie count. If you eat enough fast food to feel full, you'll have consumed a lot of calories.
Fast food will actually make you more hungry because it includes way too much salt and sugar.

I recently loaded the McDonalds app on my phone in order to easily find their locations while travelling. I find their bathrooms to be much cleaner than any "public" facility. I usually buy an Iced tea when visiting.

But they started sending me notifications for "deals". Some of those are for free "food". For example, I can get a free "Mcdouble" (whatever that is) by just showing up.

However, just the thought of eating that stuff gives me nausea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM

11,044 posts, read 9,681,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most high end cars are bought by those in their 70's .
Tell me about it! I've never seen so many old guys with Corvettes as we have here in our mostly retired community.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 AM

11,044 posts, read 9,681,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
LOL, that brought back some funny memories of the car my late husband was driving when we met. In 1984 when we met he was driving a 1970 Chevy Nova that was formerly owned by a deceased nun who was a friend of his mother. That car had no power steering, no AC, a steering wheel almost the size of a hula hoop, ran like a tank, and in the glove compartment was a vial of holy water put there by Sister Motor Head for good luck. It was a good thing that I was not the kind of woman that judged a man by his car because we would have never made it down the aisle.
And THAT brought back my DH's car story. I always knew he was a frugal guy, but when we started dating (1997) he was driving a '73 Malibu. It was a TANK and he bought it off a lady he knew through a friend for $700. It ran great and was huge, heavy, and ugly as sin, pea green with a vinyl roof. He drove that sucker for 8 or 9 years. Eventually he got another great deal on a newer car and sold it for $900. He just put a sign on it and it sold the next day! I think that shows some of how we were able to save for early retirement. We don't spend on appearances.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the fact is most of the countries poverty is in the rural areas . it is not my opinion . it is published stats . i don't make up the definitions . it isn't based on what you eat or do .

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/rura...f-poverty.aspx
I'm not disagreeing about the numbers, I'm saying that the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I pay less for a gal of fresh raw organic milk than I could a gal of processed organic milk.
Grass fed beef cheaper than the grocery etc.

Yes there's no Broadway plays.... those put me to sleep.
I sat and watched a rabbit for 5 min yesterday.
I chased a deer out of my yard.

Numbers can be helpful, but they can also impart false information.

You don't have to SPEND as much money when your closer to the dource.
You also get BETTER QUALITY. (I make pickles from cukes that I pick 2 minutes before I process them.)
People LOVE my tomato sauce because I pick them at full ripeness.... something you CANNOT get at your grocery store.

Quote:

You can get take out from many fast food places for under $5 - if you eat off the dollar menu with no drink, less.

I live in an area with high grocery prices. Eating fresh vegetables, lean meat, etc., is not cheap here. For many people, especially those on lower incomes, it's actually cheaper to get take out than to cook healthy at home.

It doesn't take much of a portion to meet your calorie need when eating heavy with biscuits and fast food. A grilled chicken salad will be far more filling at the same calorie count. If you eat enough fast food to feel full, you'll have consumed a lot of calories.

Fast food is NOT a regional thing.
That's a lifestyle choice.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 AM

24,531 posts, read 18,112,548 times
Quote:

This is nonsense.

I'm in New England at the end of the supply chain with the highest food costs in the continental US because it has the highest transportation costs. I can buy boneless chicken breast for $2.00/pound pretty much anywhere. I can buy whole pork loin for $2.00/pound pretty much anywhere. I can buy a 3-pack of romaine hearts for $2.50 to $3.00. Large bags of store brand frozen vegetables are always inexpensive. Eggs are 99 cents per dozen in most of the grocery stores. Rice, flour, potatoes are all cheap.

If I needed to, I can eat well and healthy for $5.00 per day. That means I'm cooking all my own food and doing my own baking. I'm buying no prepared food and no convenience food. I'm using powdered milk and powdered buttermilk for baking. I'm drinking water other than breakfast where I'm making my own coffee.

If you were in an inner city food desert, sure. In eastern/central Tennessee, you can certainly shop at a Walmart Super-whatever and pay those prices. Most of it freezes. The leftovers from cooking dinners are lunch you carry to work.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM

24,531 posts, read 18,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm not disagreeing about the numbers, I'm saying that the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I pay less for a gal of fresh raw organic milk than I could a gal of processed organic milk.
Grass fed beef cheaper than the grocery etc.

Yes there's no Broadway plays.... those put me to sleep.
I sat and watched a rabbit for 5 min yesterday.
I chased a deer out of my yard.

Numbers can be helpful, but they can also impart false information.

You don't have to SPEND as much money when your closer to the dource.
You also get BETTER QUALITY. (I make pickles from cukes that I pick 2 minutes before I process them.)
People LOVE my tomato sauce because I pick them at full ripeness.... something you CANNOT get at your grocery store.
Mathjak lives in Queens so the whole concept of having your own garden, a big chest freezer or two, and home canning aren't part of his life experience. You can feed a family of four for a year on 1/4 acre or have seasonal fresh vegetables and a bit of frozen/canned in 1,500 square feet. With a fishing rod, a deer rifle, and a shotgun, you can eat pretty well.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 AM

48,440 posts, read 34,618,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is nonsense.

I'm in New England at the end of the supply chain with the highest food costs in the continental US because it has the highest transportation costs. I can buy boneless chicken breast for $2.00/pound pretty much anywhere. I can buy whole pork loin for $2.00/pound pretty much anywhere. I can buy a 3-pack of romaine hearts for $2.50 to $3.00. Large bags of store brand frozen vegetables are always inexpensive. Eggs are 99 cents per dozen in most of the grocery stores. Rice, flour, potatoes are all cheap.

If I needed to, I can eat well and healthy for $5.00 per day. That means I'm cooking all my own food and doing my own baking. I'm buying no prepared food and no convenience food. I'm using powdered milk and powdered buttermilk for baking. I'm drinking water other than breakfast where I'm making my own coffee.

If you were in an inner city food desert, sure. In eastern/central Tennessee, you can certainly shop at a Walmart Super-whatever and pay those prices. Most of it freezes. The leftovers from cooking dinners are lunch you carry to work.

Wow. Those prices are extremely cheap. I'm jealous!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,120,589 times
GeoffD Im on Long Island and I pay the same prices as you listed. And LI is supposed to be one of the highest col places.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,658 posts, read 57,767,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wow. Those prices are extremely cheap. I'm jealous!!
Similar prices in PNW (on sale dates / every other week)

Milk $0.99/ 1/2 ga
eggs $0.99
Pork Loin or Country Style ribs $1.99

Salmon (in season ~ 6 months / yr) can be had direct from local Indian Fisheries for $3/#

Wild berries free
Edible landscape 6 mo / yr (300# of blueberries each yr) for food and barter

We are very lucky in USA to have inexpensive raw food.
We are very challenged in our USA health / lifestyle / medical costs to have inexpensive fast food.

After working in Europe for a yr... (2-4 hr / day eating LONG duration $$$$ meals) I was ready for a $1/ Whopper & 10 min lunch break. (and to LEAVE work at 3pm, rather than to be coming back from lunch @ 3pm !) Not healthy, not wise, but as a farmer I don't like burning daylight 'eating!'

As a retiree, I even LESS like to sit around eating when there are so many other choices. Must be in my genes, as my 86 yo mom demo'ed a Retirement center for 3 months. She went back home claiming she was wasting too much time hanging around eating with old people while they complained about everything. It was causing my mom to get depressed and / or go postal. SHe had an ideal set-up with nice 'remote' cottage with a great mtn and lake view, BUT... it was those meals that were killing her. (Time and health)

Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM

13,602 posts, read 9,642,269 times
Living in rural Ohio, my experiences are closer to Serious Conversation’s than to GeoffD’s. Yes, there are Wal-Mart super-centers, and even Krogers. But fresh produce is expensive. Buying citrus, apples, bananas, green peppers, grapes, green onions, mushrooms, pears and peaches – filling 3 plastic grocery bags – costs around $30-40, with weekly substitutions, depending on what’s on sale. If I munch on fruit throughout the workday, and use the onions and mushrooms as part of cooking dinner, those bags last maybe 5-6 days. I end up spending $200/month on fruits/veggies alone – never mind meat, bread or starch (rice, potatoes, pasta). That buys a lot of fast-food hamburgers, were I to choose that option.

We have one of those “gourmet” Krogers nearby. Even on sale, deli meat (ham etc.) is around $7/pound. My typical lunch is a half-pound of ham, maybe a quarter loaf of bread and the aforementioned fruits/veggies. Lunch works out to around $8/day… and that’s brown-bagging it.

The economies that people are able to achieve on their grocery bills, are truly astounding to me. I don’t consider myself to be poor, but easily 50% of my after-tax budget goes to food – and that is assuming zero dining-out, zero alcohol (OK, maybe one grocery-store 6-pack per month) and zero lobster/steak type of items.

Then again, I fail to understand how people can spend more than $50/month on their electric bill. Or pay for the inestimable privilege of watching television.

Addendum: there's currently an active thread - though I forget on which subforum - about food production in the California vs. the Midwest. I'm surrounded by farms; there's a farm literally across the road from my house. But it's all corn or soybean, corn or soybean. And the corn isn't even intended for human consumption. Our peas and carrots, our beets and onions, which in principle could all flourish locally, are trucked from California - or abroad. I am more likely to find fruits/veggies from Chile than from Chillicothe (a nearby town). So here we are, living in America's bread-basket, where there's no local wheat for making bread. Funny thing, modernity....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement