Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:51 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I would think if your income is 45,000 for 2 people, you should qualify for the subsidy, tax break, or whatever "assistance" the crazy congress comes up with. Unless I misunderstood your income level?
As I understand it, the ACA healthcare exchange looks at household income at how it relates to poverty.

https://obamacare.net/2017-federal-poverty-level/
Poverty [FPL] for a household of 2 is $16,020
An income of $40,050 is 250% of FPL.

My income is a lot closer to the Federal Poverty Level, we do not qualify for any 'assistance' for anything. My health care is provided by the US Navy [my former employer].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Oh, God, here we go again.

It's funny that when you want to put down others for the way they live their lives in retirement, you try to come off as this humble, low-income person and you trot out the stories about your $35 car and your $100/month food bill for the 1,987th time, but when you want to impress people in the Personal Finance Forum, we get the stories about your multitude of real estate investments (including owning properties in multiple states around the country), your two - - -count'em two - - - LLCs, your other liquid and illiquid financial investments, and the fact that your IRS 1040 income tax form is however many hundreds of pages long.

And yet you come here to complain that retirees in this forum appear to live an opulent lifestyle to such an extent that they must have any income of $240k. How about instead of worrying about others, you just take care of your own inconsistent and incongruent posting style and stories.
I like Stealth Rabbits posts and I've read a lot of them over the years. I'm glad he repeats things because it keeps giving me reminders on great ideas. I haven't noticed Stealth trying to impress people with his rentals, what I've read in his posts is he buys very low cost rentals in rural areas. I think his second home plan is brilliant....buy rural view acreage with a trashed mobile on it so it already has driveway/water/septic/power/etc... - then fix or replace mobile, rent it, and build a shop + apartment for him + RV hook ups... to stay free when there. This way you get a second home with all costs of it covered by tenant (plus some positive cash flow on top of that as gravy), and you have someone to watch the property. A great way to make snowboarding and having multiple properties affordable. Tenants can be a big hassle if you get the WRONG one, but overall an interesting idea from Stealth. I'm glad I learned this idea from Stealths posts! Keep posting Stealth!

Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
If I had to spend my retirement in NYC living near obnoxious New Yorkers living in luxury apartments, bragging about how much money they have, and how much they dislike fat loving people from Cheapsville in low cost of living states, I would slit my wrists. I can't think of anything worse than living next to a New York native, constantly bragging about his income, his BMW, his past retirement home, his wonderful grandchildren, he and his wife's expensive dental implants, and his constant trips to shows, to zoos, and other cultural (?) events.

There are a lot of retired peeps from NYC and NJ in Cheapsville. They constantly carry on about how they "do things" up North. If they love the North so much, why don't they stay there?

Oh yes - they love the NC, SC and Florida beaches with the warm water. They love the Southern politeness and manners. They love the big yards with the beautiful landscaping. They love the big parking lots at the stores, where you don't get run over by crazy drivers. They love the fact that you get let into traffic through politeness. They love that there is no snow. They love the low property taxes, because they aren't funding the huge retirements of union workers. Thousands of them every year retiring to Cheapsville. Many of them are nice of course, but many keep their tacky abrasive manner, and give the nice ones a bad name

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
If I had to spend my retirement in NYC living near obnoxious New Yorkers living in luxury apartments, bragging about how much money they have, and how much they dislike fat loving people from Cheapsville in low cost of living states, I would slit my wrists. I can't think of anything worse than living next to a New York native, constantly bragging about his income, his BMW, his past retirement home, his wonderful grandchildren, he and his wife's expensive dental implants, and his constant trips to shows, to zoos, and other cultural (?) events.

There are a lot of retired peeps from NYC and NJ in Cheapsville. They constantly carry on about how they "do things" up North. If they love the North so much, why don't they stay there?

Oh yes - they love the NC, SC and Florida beaches with the warm water. They love the Southern politeness and manners. They love the big yards with the beautiful landscaping. They love the big parking lots at the stores, where you don't get run over by crazy drivers. They love the fact that you get let into traffic through politeness. They love that there is no snow. They love the low property taxes, because they aren't funding the huge retirements of union workers. Thousands of them every year retiring to Cheapsville. Many of them are nice of course, but many keep their tacky abrasive manner, and give the nice ones a bad name
Bravo!!!!

Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

In my travels, I have always associated the obnoxiousness with urbanites, not any specific city though. As you seem to do with NYC.

I have lived in Virginia Beach Virginia, Charleston SC, and Saint Marys Georgia. I just never did care for the heat. You can find low COL rural places in every region of the country.

When a state gets more retirees it pushes the average age up. Florida only ranks fifth in terms of oldest median age. Vermont, New Hampshire, and West Virginia all have older populations. Of course Maine is the oldest state.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/states/oldest-states

Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Some of these posts reak of jealousy!!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:38 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
If you live in other parts of the country, there are the Texans and the Californians using your state as their vacation spot or moving in and pushing up home prices. Nothing much you can do about it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Some of these posts reak of jealousy!!
I think you are mis-reading the intent.

There are places where the culture is welcoming, polite and friendly. When you drive by people wave, on the road drivers are polite using turn signals and you rarely feel anyone cuts you off.

In our moves, we have lived in cities where we got used to the rudeness, then with our next move suddenly we were back in a place where people were friendly.

I am guilty of being 'from California' migrating to Maine after I retired was among the best decisions I ever made.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
There are rude people everywhere. The most trouble I ever had with a neighbor was one from Tennessee. I've loved the city, desert, mountains and plains and people are people everywhere. In the north I found rudeness, in the south I found rudeness, and east to west too. Also kindness.

But I do take issue with southerns declaring that they're the polite and mannerly ones. Not so at all. No where else have I found people so prying into my business and bringing up politics and religion; topics I only discuss with intimates.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Southerners: charming to your face, vicious behind your back. Give me plain old rude to my face any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement