Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Some of these posts reak of jealousy!!
C-D 'retirement forum' has a lot of people who served the 'conventional path', feel entitled to THEIR retirement, wealth, and most importantly their opinions (which are not really opinions... but their RULES to RETIREMENT)... There are MANY rules here, and the 'enforcers' are well paid to propagate their 'knowledge and experience' (often very little of each).

A more informative and helpful path on a public forum intended to inform...is to allow and encourage a diversity of information and experiences. THAT is A Very foreign idea in the USA, and even more foreign to those who spent 30+ yrs employed, complying and listening to the 'deliverables / mindset of USA federal Gov / public schools / local jurisdictions / legal system. (Military and USAID / foreign service excluded because many of them actually were engaged in foreign commerce and REQUIRED to interface with other cultures, so realize there is a world beyond themselves and their personal empire.)

Lots of "EMPIRES" here

Follow the 'rules', walk the line

1) certainly don't consider retiring BEFORE age 65,
2) definitely don't open your mind to living outside the USA (By need or desire)
3) do NOT have any business interests or activities from the moment you leave your 'protected employment'
4) You most definitely CAN NOT be RETIRED, unless you are sitting in your recliner watching to validate your direct deposits show up on the precise day expected!

sounds Fun!

Income you're living on

plenty here are living on their Guaranteed Income of course! (is there any other way? ) Not in their (very tiny) world

Sounds exciting!

Each to their own (except DO NOT express any other options HERE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
C-D 'retirement forum' has a lot of people who served the 'conventional path', feel entitled to THEIR retirement, wealth, and most importantly their opinions (which are not really opinions... but their RULES to RETIREMENT)... There are MANY rules here, and the 'enforcers' are well paid to propagate their 'knowledge and experience' (often very little of each).

A more informative and helpful path on a public forum intended to inform...is to allow and encourage a diversity of information and experiences. THAT is A Very foreign idea in the USA, and even more foreign to those who spent 30+ yrs employed, complying and listening to the 'deliverables / mindset of USA federal Gov / public schools / local jurisdictions / legal system. (Military and USAID / foreign service excluded because many of them actually were engaged in foreign commerce and REQUIRED to interface with other cultures, so realize there is a world beyond themselves and their personal empire.)

Lots of "EMPIRES" here

2) definitely don't open your mind to living outside the USA (By need or desire)
3) do NOT have any business interests or activities from the moment you leave your 'protected employment'
4) You most definitely CAN NOT be RETIRED, unless you are sitting in your recliner watching to validate your direct deposits show up on the precise day expected!

sounds Fun!

Income you're living on

plenty here are living on their Guaranteed Income of course! (is there any other way? ) Not in their (very tiny) world

Sounds exciting!

Wow. I don't even understand how this thread got nasty?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I like Stealth Rabbits posts and I've read a lot of them over the years. I'm glad he repeats things because it keeps giving me reminders on great ideas. I haven't noticed Stealth trying to impress people with his rentals, what I've read in his posts is he buys very low cost rentals in rural areas. I think his second home plan is brilliant....buy rural view acreage with a trashed mobile on it so it already has driveway/water/septic/power/etc... - then fix or replace mobile, rent it, and build a shop + apartment for him + RV hook ups... to stay free when there. This way you get a second home with all costs of it covered by tenant (plus some positive cash flow on top of that as gravy), and you have someone to watch the property. A great way to make snowboarding and having multiple properties affordable. Tenants can be a big hassle if you get the WRONG one, but overall an interesting idea from Stealth. I'm glad I learned this idea from Stealths posts! Keep posting Stealth!
I absolutely agree! I find Stealth's posts informative and amazing...I'm always wondering how in the world he manages to do all he does, but always manage to learn a thing or two. I agree - please keep posting Stealth!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Don't be so surprised. It happens a lot.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:29 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
If I had to spend my retirement in NYC living near obnoxious New Yorkers living in luxury apartments, bragging about how much money they have, and how much they dislike fat loving people from Cheapsville in low cost of living states, I would slit my wrists.
Don't hold back, Nausikaa; tell us how you really feel.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:

Lots of "EMPIRES" here

sounds Fun!

Income you're living on

Sounds exciting!

Wow.

Don't hold back, StealthyRabbit; tell us what you *really* think.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how about a renter who instead of tying up all that money in a house has it invested in other things with greater returns ?

that is flawed logic .
Don't get me wrong... I love renters.

Having paid for appreciating Real Estate and a low vacancy rate provides me comfort and solace.

Half my family comes from farming stock where the land is everything... handed down for generations.

I'm guilty of having a 1% return and almost no Stock Market presence.

Again... I think it is wonderful for those that have done well and I tip my hat to them.

Parents, Grandparents, etc... have never owned stock since 1929...

Back in 1980 I bought $1000 of stock in Apple... had friends that worked there and decided to take the plunge... my family was quite concerned and when I told Dad it had doubled he said to be smart and take the profit... so I did.

No idea what that $1000 would be worth today... I know my friend started in 1979 as a high school summer job... her father told her to max out on the employee stock program... as she was 17 and living at home... she did and her stock paid for her Campbell home, cars, etc... over the years...

Most of my friends are older... several have been widows for decades and they each own a single rental property where they also live... 3 or 4 units and this allows them to live the life they desire without financial worries...

Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
There are rude people everywhere. The most trouble I ever had with a neighbor was one from Tennessee. I've loved the city, desert, mountains and plains and people are people everywhere. In the north I found rudeness, in the south I found rudeness, and east to west too. Also kindness.

But I do take issue with southerns declaring that they're the polite and mannerly ones. Not so at all. No where else have I found people so prying into my business and bringing up politics and religion; topics I only discuss with intimates.

Discretion is the better part of valor.
Excellent post. Some of the meanest women I ever met were Southern women.. Sweet to your face but mean as sin. I also hate the heat so have no desire to retire in the South.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
SC, you are right about the housing expense.

I have a daughter who is single and in spite of a $50K gross income and owning a paid off car is still struggling to make it.

The biggest problem is that rents in the Denver area are about $1500 per month for a decent apartment. That seriously crowds out other expenses. Although she needs a room mate, she treasures her privacy.
Then that's her problem. I treasure my privacy too but, I lived for 20 years in San Francisco with a roommate to save money and at age 55 was able to buy my first house as a single female.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I have to disagree.

The proposal is for permitting the optional enforcement of continuous coverage just like every OTHER insurance policy we now have.

Anybody who currently let's their life, auto, or homeowners lapse pays a surcharge when they apply for new insurance.

People who want an insurance based healthcare system have no business complaining about it but they do because they hear soundbites. Of course, it's a valid complaint for people who don't believe in it and want single payer, anyway. But still kind of disingenuous because it infers those people actually believe in an insurance based system when they don't.

I have to think the people complaining about it don't even have insurance. Once Limbaugh was complaining about it and I'm like "WHAT? you don't even subscribe to any insurance; you're self insured. Shut up."

Pretty ludicrous that Obamacare let you "apply" for "insurance" after you were diagnosed with something.

Quote:
re-read and NOTE the context:
3) Take the 'uninsured' risk (and penalties) +/-

(No where did I PROMOTE 'getting insurance AFTER you are diagnosed with a need for care'.)

Life is BIG, there are many reasons for 'Lapse' And increasingly more (Unaffordable)

I EAT and feed my family on 1/4th the daily cost of my HC insurance. I am not alone. +/- Everyone has a situation, and MANY have no choice... I am grateful I have a choice.
I don't know what you're debating.

Why are you truncating what I was citing? Your full statement:
Quote:

3) Take the 'uninsured' risk (and penalties) +/- (the NEW HCA proposal is VERY hard on 'lapse of coverage
You either want Single Payer/Universal healthcare OR INSURANCE.

If you want INSURANCE, you can't complain about the continuous coverage clause being "very hard on lapse of coverage".

ALL insurance works that way. Like I said: Auto, Homeowners, Life...

And nobody knows what the "new HCA" will be because the Senate hasn't even tweaked their version and it still needs to go back to the House, afterwards.

So you think it's ok for everyone to lapse their insurance, then get around to it later and pay the same as everyone who DIDN'T let it lapse - NO surcharge? Fine.

It won't work, but point taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement