U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been long-discussed already...

I don't consider a "motorhome" kind of RV, even the smallest one, like the Roadtrek. I don't want my home to need servicing like a motor car. I have looked at the smallest pull-trailers that have a bathroom (being a wuss) and came up with a 14-footer called the Eco-Skamper (or, dreaming big, the 18-footer) which cost under $20K. They can be pulled by a mid-size SUV or pickup. My thought is that when you park, you want to go around and have a vehicle for travel, and not be driving the whole home around.
I have thought of it as a way to have extended driving vacations in the U.S. West, while maintaining my dream home near Boston. I realize that eventually I will not be driving this much and want to find a place to be when I'm really old (if I decide my current house isn't suitable, and if I don't want to return to the city area where I used to live, which is full of women over 50 who can no longer afford Cambridge).
I'd expect to be doing this alone, so the trailer can be quite small and minimal. I really liked the Eco-Skamper and others its size. I picture, roughly, spending some time in spring in Utah and summer in high mountain country. I must be the only person in the world who wants to get away from New England in the summer- just too humid.
Any experience out there with part-time living in a pull RV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,337,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Forgive me if this has been long-discussed already...

I don't consider a "motorhome" kind of RV, even the smallest one, like the Roadtrek. I don't want my home to need servicing like a motor car. I have looked at the smallest pull-trailers that have a bathroom (being a wuss) and came up with a 14-footer called the Eco-Skamper (or, dreaming big, the 18-footer) which cost under $20K. They can be pulled by a mid-size SUV or pickup. My thought is that when you park, you want to go around and have a vehicle for travel, and not be driving the whole home around.
I have thought of it as a way to have extended driving vacations in the U.S. West, while maintaining my dream home near Boston. I realize that eventually I will not be driving this much and want to find a place to be when I'm really old (if I decide my current house isn't suitable, and if I don't want to return to the city area where I used to live, which is full of women over 50 who can no longer afford Cambridge).
I'd expect to be doing this alone, so the trailer can be quite small and minimal. I really liked the Eco-Skamper and others its size. I picture, roughly, spending some time in spring in Utah and summer in high mountain country. I must be the only person in the world who wants to get away from New England in the summer- just too humid.
Any experience out there with part-time living in a pull RV?
I know a couple that lives in theirs all the time but it is like 40 feet long. They seem to enjoy themselves. They are in Georgia now.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM

201 posts, read 235,538 times
There are advantages and disadvantages to both--vehicle pulling camper trailer or motorized RV pulling a small car. The obvious disadvantage to trailers is in backing it up of course. You may need to plan ahead to reserve pull-through campsites. There is another option you might want to consider too, called a Fifth Wheel. How long you travel will affect your decision as well. The longer you travel, the bigger you will want your rig to be. Either way, you will find yourself servicing your motorized vehicles and also the appliances and equipment aboard your camper. So be prepared for that often. I would suggest you borrow or rent both styles before making your decision. Also check out RV forums for answers from experienced RVers. You can google RV forums and find many. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,304,378 times
Oh sure, we fulltimed (rented out the house) for almost 2 years. Prior to that we just took extended trips, which we also do today. However, we did it in a bigger RV than you're considering. Here's our setup:

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/Royals_International/4.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/Royals_International/5.jpg (broken link)

There is an RV support groupd called Escapees. They cater to Fulltimers and Snowbirders thorugh the services they provide. However, they're also a great group for anyone into RV's. It's the Escapees RV Group.

They also have an online forum with lots of discussions. I know this topic has come up often and I have read discussions by many people who have fulltimed/are fulltiming in rigs of the size you're considering.

They also have sub-groups for people who have common intersts. They're as diverse as groups for Boomers, groups for lifestlye choices, groups for certain hobbies like quilting, ham radio, barbershop/sweet adeline singing, religious interests, woodworking, home building, hiking, fishing, and many many others. People who affiliate with a subgroup meet each other throughout the year in different locations.

Click here to get to the front page of their site and then click on the Member link. You don't need to be a member to enter or to participate in the forum. Once you enter the pages, just click on the forum link to get to all kinds of RV discussions.

Good luck!

Last edited by garth; 03-10-2008 at 11:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,597 times
Garth your rig puts my poor 32 foot to shame. I was reading the post earlier and check in again, I will look into the Escapees club that you mentioned as my husband and I plan to travel quite a bit once we get our house up and livable.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Default My friends sent me this one... mighty tempting!

Here you go when you want both the RV and the red Mercedes Convertible to go with it... enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Rv?-rv-car-2.bmp   Rv?-rv-car-inside.bmp  

Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Default What about buying used?

I don't know the market in your area... but I've seen some great deals on used trailers here in CA...

You might also want to go online, if you know exactly what you want.

It is not unusual for someone to buy a new RV, take it on a trip and decide it is not for them afterall...

Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,675,976 times
RVing is the most awesome experience. Like Garth above said, Escapees is a real good place for information. Maybe even find some info from Good Sam which you will want to join anyway for the discount camping fees. Workampers.com can help you find small to large contract jobs in exchange for a free RV site. That costs I think it was $25 to join.

Your choice of southern Utah as you said is a good choice as it accounts for about 60% of all our trips. Expecially Cedar City KOA or near Zion. Beaver is beautiful too as there are many lakes there.

If you are by yourself then you probably will not feel cramped in a 14 footer. It can be quite cozy. You can even get slide outs on travel trailers that small now. Our starter was an 18 footer TT that had a full bath tub. We towed that thing from southern Nevada to Texas 3 times, all around Arizona several times, much of southern California a few times and Utah dozens of times in the 3 years we had the travel trailer.

Yea it is nice to park it and have your car but towing is a stressfull hassle. Now we moved up to a larger motor home and when we get to our destination we rent a car. So easy. In fact we can leave on less notice, on a whim with the motor home.

Enjoy the lifestyle. You will meet so many nice people who have something in common with you. In due time after a few years you start to meet a few people who do the same trip the same time year after year. You get to know people and look foward to seeing them at certian times.

Hit the many RV shows and compare. It really is best to buy a nearly new one as some one else pays the depreciation part of it.

Hit the open road....................................

Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,971,054 times
#1 reason not to have an RV: The ever increasing cost of fuel. I can't even imagine what you must pay in fuel costs Garth.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
I think of living in the RV for extended volunteer vacations at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah, between Zion, Bryce and the National Staircase. Just not in the summer! I was there last August and it was furnace time.
I lived in one-room apartments until I was 40. I like small spaces very much.
Thanks to all for suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement