Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM

85 posts, read 79,718 times

Advertisements

We live in Miami where they have a lot of cantinas, kind of like a place where you can buy ethnic food delivered daily for a fee. Although I'm a good cook, I despise cooking and we order from a place called Latin Lite, which is Cuban food with healthy substitutes. It's delicious and the convenience is wonderful. Everyday (not weekends) we have a great healthy meal and for dinner we mostly fix sandwiches or something.

There are many places locally that offer this type of convenience with pre-made food, Publix supermarkets does not deliver but offers whole roasted chickens with sides for those who don't want to cook. There is a franchise here called Palacio de los Jugos which offers any kind of meat (fish, beef, chicken), sides of all sorts but you have to pick up as well. They are very popular and usually offer a complete meal (enough for 2-3 people) for about $8 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'm not retired yet but am single and eat almost every meal at home. I do all my cooking on a weekend and use a vacuum sealer.

I cook a large meatloaf (4lbs) and make six meals out of it. I usually have meatloaf once a week.
I cook up meatballs for pasta and vacuum seal them.
I'll cook up a large chicken and seal up smaller portions for use in other chicken dishes.
I cook up a big pork loin and usually it will provide six+ meals.
I cook up a big pot roast and Freeze individual meals in tupperware.

The list goes on.......

My nightly meals are very quickly prepared but home made. Reheat the meal and cook some veggies.
I do pretty much the same as you.....I go easy on the pork though.....Just me and my Jack Russel terrier eat well and it reheats in no time at all.....

once every 2 weeks I go down to Subway and get 2 footlongs that feed me for 2 days.....Life is good...

Old 08-11-2017, 02:10 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Just for the two of us: I quarter a head of iceberg lettuce and we each add our own choices and make a salad for lunch.
Today I used a vegetable knife to cut thin slices of carrot to add to my lettuce. I added 2 slices of toasted rye bread with 2 T. pimento cheese. I seldom use dressing. He added green olives, green pepper, radishes, green onion, turkey pepperoni slices, 1 slice American cheese and a lot of ranch dressing.

Dinner is usually a sandwich or a small portion of meat and a cup of vegetables.

Today mine will be about 3 ounces honey ham deli slices and leftover steamed vegetables from yesterday. He sometimes has pimento cheese sandwich and pickles for dinner which is actually supper because lunch was our biggest meal today.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I buy a lot of prepared interesting salads weekly, usually 3 at a time and add my own romaine often...some times other stuff. These salads are large so often get two meals (large snacks). I'll never starve and haven't had pasta in years as I've lost interest in carbs...get enough in veggies. I've eaten alone so long and totally am comfortable. Use tuna fish and sardines and today a neighbor is buying me a portion of off the bone ham to snack on.

I make my own modified soups...I have a receipe that I use on the Food area now on modified cabbage soup.

Eggs are a necessity in my life and some good Open Nature sausage.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If I were by myself, I imagine that I would have more carry out, and more lunch type foods for dinner than I do now. I would still make the occasional meatloaf and freeze some. I'd still cook a pork chop, piece of salmon or a steak, with baked potato and salad sometimes.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I've never cooked single since retirement, but I did after my first husband died.

One, I had a FoodSaver, and boy did it help not waste food.

Otherwise a typical dinner would be a seared chicken breast and a quick pan sauce, and a side of vegetables. I would just find a recipe I liked and adjust it for one, or one and leftovers (I don't like meat leftovers).

Anything you would cook for a lot of people you can cook for one.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I usually make a large salad or a burrito. I eat mostly vegetarian so I use a lot of beans, nuts and seeds. I also make a chili once a week from veggie crumbles. The burrito basically has the same stuff as the salad just less. I substitute out salad dressing and use guacamole on the burrito.

I do eat eggs and cheese but I am trying to eliminate cheese.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I eat dinner at midday and I always eat out, usually in an inexpensive cafe, and I eat a meal and not just a sandwich.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbf57 View Post
We live in Miami where they have a lot of cantinas, kind of like a place where you can buy ethnic food delivered daily for a fee. Although I'm a good cook, I despise cooking and we order from a place called Latin Lite, which is Cuban food with healthy substitutes. It's delicious and the convenience is wonderful. Everyday (not weekends) we have a great healthy meal and for dinner we mostly fix sandwiches or something.

There are many places locally that offer this type of convenience with pre-made food, Publix supermarkets does not deliver but offers whole roasted chickens with sides for those who don't want to cook. There is a franchise here called Palacio de los Jugos which offers any kind of meat (fish, beef, chicken), sides of all sorts but you have to pick up as well. They are very popular and usually offer a complete meal (enough for 2-3 people) for about $8 .
I grew up in Miami and miss the Cuban food so much, especially the coffee. I used to go back down to visit my sister and we always went out for the Cuban food, but I haven't been back since she died a few years ago. Next time you go out, drink a coffee for me!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
What ingredients do you use in your burritos, tom1944?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement