Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times

Advertisements

I think a good practice is, just before going to sleep each night, reflecting on things that occurred that day that we are grateful for. It can be something as simple as a glorious sunset or a nice meal.

Over time, the practice of gratitude can lead to calmness and satisfaction with one's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing a photo of your lovely surroundings.
I have more pics, but I feel I would be boasting to post more. But a thought crossed my mind and that is an attitude of gratefulness (did I get the spelling right?) is really great for ones mental health. And spiritual health.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I'm thankful that after all the bad decisions I've made, that I'm still alive, still employed and paying my bills on time.

Anyone who lives to 50 in my opinion can't cry too much about anything when you know that are kids dying of cancer all the time. There is not one thing I have to complain about that compares to that, so I consider myself fortunate to be alive to complain about arthritis pain.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I find so many of the subjects here in the Retirement forum to be depressing or negative about growing older. But I find that there is so much for which I can be thankful. I'd like to share a few of my reasons for being thankful to be at this stage of my life, and I hope that you'll share yours

I now have time to do so many enjoyable things that I didn't have the time to do while working.

I now have time to explore doing new things. For example, I'm trying my hand at writing a novel.

I'm thankful that my children turned out to be fine adults. As a single parent, I worried that I would fail them by not being both a father and mother to guide their steps.

I'm thankful that I found a wonderful spot for my retirement. It probably wouldn't suit many of your preferences, but it is really "home" to me.

I'm thankful for my new friends.

Your turn!
A friend of mine is recently retired, about 2-3 years ago. At first he was in shock about it. The employer offered him early retirement, and it was upsetting to him. Then after a few days he did the math and realized that he could actually start retirement now instead of waiting another year.

The first few months were kind of hard on him, because he didn't know what to do with himself. He had ideas what he was going to do in retirement, but he had not planned on retiring just yet so there was an adjustment period.

When I talk to him now, he sounds happier than I ever knew him. All his kids have finished college, gotten jobs, are out of the house, and he and his wife have time to spend on hobbies and traveling around to do things they didn't before.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I am thankful I have so much to be thankful for. It is wonderful to get up every day and say, "What do I want to do today."

One of the things I am most thankful for is being able to still get in the car and go where I want to go and have enough money not to worry about the gas.

I am thankful we can still take care of ourselves.

I am thankful we moved here in 1975 so our house is paid for except the taxes that everybody has to pay.

I am thankful for the wonderful EMS being less than a mile away and good hospitals all over the place.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Some years ago when I was going through some tough stuff, after I got into bed and started tossing and turning, I would make myself lie still and think about what I was grateful for, using the alphabet.

For example, A = my daughter's first name started with an A; B = bananas; C = coffee; D = donuts.

OK, so some of the words were silly. But it took my mind off what was bothering me. Some letters made me really think of what was in my life that I could use that letter for.

It helped me a lot. And it's something I can use anytime I need to.

Attitude of gratitude.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 AM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Yes, I am thankful. Things could always be worse. It's good to have a positive attitude ;-)

Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I'm grateful for that piece of cake I had for breakfast this morning. I live in the here and now these days. Anything more is just too much of a commitment. The past is gone, the future not guaranteed. All you can count on is the here and now. Living by that concept is the greatest gift of all. Priories are viewed in a different light. Have you ever noticed how intricate a rose is as it unwinds?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:24 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I absolutely make it a habit to look on the sunny side and be grateful for the little gifts. It's a necessary lifestyle for a natural pessimist such as I tend to be.

It is impossible for me to feel gloomy when my mindset is one of gratitude. Sometimes the best I can manage is being thankful for a new learning experience. That's usually expressed reluctantly and through gritted teeth because "learning experience" is my more positive name for a new problem.

This is when looking to the future is permitted because it's been my experience that when I face a problem as a learning experience generally sometime in the future I discover that I have developed a new skill or attitude. So I guess it's okay to say, "Thank you for this new challenge which I will use to make myself a stronger, better human being. (Even though I don't feel very thrilled about it at the present.)"

I used to feel a bit guilty about being unwilling to feel uncomfortable feelings and practice new, uncomfortable behaviors. It's the only way I know how to stretch and grow psychologically, emotionally and spiritually but there are times I don't want to do the work.

Then I met a minister's wife who once confided to me that sometimes her husband drove her crazy. The way she handled that, she said, was to go out for a brisk walk and pray a prayer of gratitude. "I say" she said, "'Thank you, God, for that b-----d you gave me.'" LOL.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
What a wonderful post.

I am thankful every day for my family.

I am thankful for my husband, who is quite dear to me.

I am thankful for my retirement.

I am thankful that we do not struggle financially.

I am thankful for the freedoms we have in this, my beloved country

I am thankful that my adult kids are thriving and are leading interesting and happy lives.

I am thankful for my grandchildren. They are treasured gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement