Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:13 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times

Advertisements

I find so many of the subjects here in the Retirement forum to be depressing or negative about growing older. But I find that there is so much for which I can be thankful. I'd like to share a few of my reasons for being thankful to be at this stage of my life, and I hope that you'll share yours

I now have time to do so many enjoyable things that I didn't have the time to do while working.

I now have time to explore doing new things. For example, I'm trying my hand at writing a novel.

I'm thankful that my children turned out to be fine adults. As a single parent, I worried that I would fail them by not being both a father and mother to guide their steps.

I'm thankful that I found a wonderful spot for my retirement. It probably wouldn't suit many of your preferences, but it is really "home" to me.

I'm thankful for my new friends.

Your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I find so many of the subjects here in the Retirement forum to be depressing or negative about growing older. But I find that there is so much for which I can be thankful. I'd like to share a few of my reasons for being thankful to be at this stage of my life, and I hope that you'll share yours

I now have time to do so many enjoyable things that I didn't have the time to do while working.

I now have time to explore doing new things. For example, I'm trying my hand at writing a novel.

I'm thankful that my children turned out to be fine adults. As a single parent, I worried that I would fail them by not being both a father and mother to guide their steps.

I'm thankful that I found a wonderful spot for my retirement. It probably wouldn't suit many of your preferences, but it is really "home" to me.

Your turn!

my list is similar to yours. It is the easiest time in my life since childhood.

Sometimes I have to remind myself of that

Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I am thankful every day! I am glad I worked hard and lived on less so I could retire. I finally lived long enough to buy my way out of bondage!

Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I am thankful that I can live in reasonable comfort with some modest splurges without worrying about finances.

I am thankful that I live in an area which suits me and in which I feel totally comfortable and at home.

I am thankful that I have found, almost by accident, gratifying and meaningful activities which give me immense pleasure but which still leave enough "smell the flowers" time.

I am thankful that I still have a couple of good, long-time friends. That won't always be the case, as I am 73 and they are a few years older than I.

I am thankful that I have friendly relations with at least half a dozen cousins with whom I share memories going back to childhood.

I am thankful that I can still lug around extension ladders and do exterior painting from them for several hours at a time without ill effects. That may not always be the case depending on how long I live.

Life is good, and I am very fortunate, particularly as some aspects of the above are due to luck.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I am thankful each and every day.

I am thankful that I live in the United States of America.

I am thankful for my mostly good health.

I am thankful for my finding God (again).

I am thankful for Mother Nature and all her beauty.

I am thankful I can adapt to most situations.

I am thankful I have learned what is important (to me) and what is not important (to me).

I am pretty sure I'm not remembering some of what I am grateful for, but there is so much in this life to be thankful for.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

I am thankful for my finding God (again).
^^^ That's a big one. I am thankful for God's blessing in my life.

I am thankful for the wonderful area where we live. Eight miles from a friendly town with respectful young people. In the mountains north of Yosemite

Thankful for new friends I've made since retiring

Thankful for the improved physical and mental health gained since I retired.

Thankful for expanding interests-esp. in the area of music (I'm a musician)

Grandkids

I could go on. This trail is a 100 yards from my house

Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
In a Word: Absolutely.

Even though I deal with bodywide OA and a recent knee "mess" I'm still very thankful for my life and especially having experienced living on East and now West Coast.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:26 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:

Your turn!
All of the above except for me not having children. Location and friends, which probably go together, can make or break a happy retirement.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I find so many of the subjects here in the Retirement forum to be depressing or negative about growing older. But I find that there is so much for which I can be thankful....

Your turn!
Thankful for 'ya-all'...

I'm very thankful that I'm headed to "Cochise County, AZ" in a few minutes (a frequent retreat)

Transiting through "Yellowsnow's" thankful / 'set-free' home of LAS (often I extend my stay here, especially if I get a BUMP! (free future flights, (thankful)

It is the easiest time in my life since childhood. and for some of us... MUCH ez'r than childhood (Dairy Farm Boarding School / abusive homes / dysfunctional homes / addict homes / violent environments... )
Thankful for expanding interests-esp. in the area of music (I'm a musician)
Me too... June is a great 'making memories' enjoying music month. Last week attended a group /music event TEX (79th yr anniversary, several 'old' friends performed). Next week a group we formed 38 yrs ago performs in Colorado, Chamber Music Northwest Fest starts on the 24th of Jun! Jackson Hole (Tetons) & Aspen fests are in early July. Great life!

Thus, I'm thankful to have made it to this place in life, nothing short of a miracle got me here.

Thankful for my last breath and seeking to become more appreciative of my next breath (WIP). Especially if that next breath is inhaled in Cochise County!

Helping others is such a dynamic attitude adjustment for me. They are all in far worse shape than me, and most are very thankful for what (little) they have. (minimal Health and wealth). Most of them, I envy for their contentment / satisfaction with life. (a BIG / unconquered challenge for me)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-09-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 01:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
couple of thoughts. OP, you must not see the myriad numerous threads about how so many people LOVE retirement and how they enjoy their days of freedom, how they happily spend their time, activities that are satisfying, and many facets to their positive lives. If you scroll through the older threads, there are many positive threads!

I am thankful for so much, for each and every day, and for everything I have!! I feel a bit superstitious about listing any of them though. I don't like listing them or putting them in words. I'm so grateful and touting them doesn't seem right somehow -for me anyway.

Not that it isn't interesting reading what others are thankful for. Because it is. I am also so thankful for nature - and everything nature encompasses. Today is an UNREAL gorgeous splendid summer day. It's a wow!

Last edited by matisse12; 06-09-2017 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement