Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I stay home a lot and more so since my knee issue and rehab stays (3 of them) and still may get a knee replacement. I use a walker and often can walk without it. Around the house.

The disclaimer here is I'm 79 soon and read that MOST here are in their 50-60's.

I was on the go all my life: marriage, divorce, raised a child, worked 40 yrs, many BF's and lots of GF's. and was never home. Traveled for pleasure, one job took me all over the U.S. and parts of two countries.

Since I'm home a lot NOW, I've questioned it, often thinking "am I depressed" and I'm not depressed but so enjoy being home NOW.

I was still going to the gym in my mid 60's and still out dancing into my late 50's....so maybe it is good to be home and enjoy it NOW. As I see it I'm not missing a THING out there.

Got rid of cable TV, love not paying TWC and may get antenna hook up yet and enjoy NPR and local radio and of course, the net.

What say you...I know MOST here still want to go and that is great but as I've said probably MOST are much younger than me. I'm a young mind, but older body and soul. J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I enjoy hanging out at home! I have my garden and various house and craft projects to do. I'm home most evenings after sunset.

On the other hand, I like to ride my bike and walk, so I'm out on the trails a lot after work and on the weekends. I don't go to bars or go gambling. I do go places like Panera to have coffee with friends because it's half-way.

If I had to stay home because of a knee injury and was allowed to telecommute, I'd be just fine. Friends would visit (and bring coffee!) and I'd find plenty of projects I could do while seated.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:55 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I am single and live alone and am 74. I go to a big church, big enough to have the people to support different programs through out the week. Because of this I have a lot of friends and that contributes to my happiness and sense of well being.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
We live on the harbor in Destin, Florida; have a large pool, fishing area, gym ... and can watch boats on the gulf and in the harbor. The visitor traffic on the roads here is horrific -- I would prefer to stay home (read, watch movies, write, work on computer, church activity and the above - w/occasional golf, movie) -- rather than go out and fight the traffic and inflated tourist prices on everything. The grandkids love to come here!

We've traveled extensively and are not into shopping. The only offset is that my wife would prefer to eat-out ... always! Other than that, home suits me just fine.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Everyone is different. I would go crazy being at home all the time. Even with a bum knee, I'd work through the discomfort and get out as often as I could. However, I would get a knee replacement if my knee was limiting my life. A good friend just had one done is very pleased. My BIL had one done several months ago and wished he had done it sooner. Most people that I know who had a knee or two replaced have had great results. I only know of one fellow who had issues and that was because he picked a doctor who had only done two replacements before his.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:01 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
It is a red letter day when I get to stay home all day. It doesn't happen often.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
I am late 50's and we built a custom home in an area we absolutely love. I prefer being home to traveling at this point, but like you, have traveled extensively and lived in multiple states and countries, so I don't feel a need to travel, and we have plenty to do and see here locally, so I go out for a few hours locally if I want to be away from the house. If you are asking about actually being housebound and OK with it, well, we designed the home to age in place, and the house is set up for that eventuality, but no, I am far too young and physically able to not leave the house regularly.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:17 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I had a great friend who died last year at 95, she went non-stop, lived in a senior housing in a medium size room type apt...she went all the time...was very active..and into everyone's business...that bugged me but that was her.

We're all different and do our lives the way we do/have. Some people can't find contentment at home. Age is a biggie too.

I have a lot of older friends from my bridge world and MOST are not involved on the internet and forums like this. I have friends back East who NEVER were on the computers.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-10-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I'm home a lot, but differently.

Go to gym, run errands, take dog to park.. but basically home all day. I'm an introvert so I LOVE it. I'm not shy, have lots of friends and family, but my happy place is doing my hobbies, gardening and hanging with hubby (supposed to retire next year).

We still travel, and will do lots more, but in between we like hanging at home. We turn down events because we would rather hang at home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2017, 10:45 AM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
I have always preferred to stay home. I don't mind being at the destination and learning and experiencing but the trip was always a killer. The trip made the experience hardly worth the trouble

I spent 20 yrs in the military and had to travel for business reasons. Hated it. I am now 60 and any day I can stay home is the best vacation and I always try to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement