Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:12 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

I'm from SE PA, am currently 60, and my retirement income is going to be on the low side. I had 22 years of full-time employment in education, some very low-paying positions, and have been juggling 2 and 3 part-time jobs for the last thirteen years. I've always been single, and it's been a real struggle, so I won't have the large or combined retirement SS payments that many will have. I will probably take early retirement (62 1/2) because I'm exhausted.

So I'm wondering...have you ever heard or know of anyone who decided to retire to a manufactured housing community? Lancaster, PA has quite a few of them, and it's a lovely place to live. I would just have to start investigating those which are NON LAND-LEASED whereby one owns the patch of land outright. A land-leased deal can really wipe out your income, so I hear as they keep going up, sometimes at an insane percentage per year. Some are referred to as "Mobile-Home Parks," but the homes are not really mobile.

Any shared or first-hand experiences in such a community? Would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 PM

So I take it that it's not a very popular option, then?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
Hi, soulsurv! I haven't been on the computer for a while and just saw your post. I am also single and have a very low income from social security. I have been looking into some retirement communities in the Mesa, Az area. The very nice parks with pretty lovely manufactured housing all require renting your lot and prices are generally around $600-650 per month---far out of reach for me on my income. The ones that I have looked at that allow you to own your lot are passable but not as nice. Most of the homes are 1970-1990 model single wide mobile homes. Some have been refurbished, however. There are no garages, but some have small storage sheds at the back of the carport overhang. I will be keeping an eye on these places in the next few years, however, because I think that's where I will wind up eventually. The HOA fees are roughly $100-150 per month for the communities where you own your lot, and there are numerous amenities offered. I just wish there was a little more area on the lots, as I know I will miss sitting out in my yard. I'll adapt, I am sure. I'm sorry I haven't actually visited any but one, and it doesn't have an HOA nor any amenities, and some of the homes/lots are run down and pretty trashy, so I think that is one I will avoid, although it does offer more yard space. Good luck on your search---it will be interesting to read what you find out. Wish I could have been more help to you!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:56 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Nothing wrong with the option. When you get to the purchase phase be sure the insulation is good in the roof and walls. Also how the water pipes are insulated. You will probably have heating tape on the pipes under the home to prevent freezing.

Check the history of utility usage. If electric this could be a problem.

You might also look to see if their are senior apartments in the area.

Since you will be rather young think about getting a job as an apartment complex superintendent or a similar job at a park.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
I live in one (Salem,Oregon). I pay rent but my landlady is very good about small or no increases (avg. 3 per year). I do realize that could change, but I could also lose it all if the big one hits

I am happy with my choice overall. I am walking distance to shopping of all kinds, my doctor should i need to go, is a quick bus ride, the bus stops very close. I have a small yard and a garden and can have my 2 indoor cats without a monthly pet fee.I am in a 55+ and I have to say the only negatives for me in 5 years - it is just like a small town in that people love to gossip, the older single guys turn their surround systems up rather than using headphones or a hearing aid when watching movies or listening to music, and most use a gas mower, edger and leaf blower weekly on their small (150 sq ft lawn). I swear they do it one at a time to show off For the most part though it is very quiet and I love it. I own my home it is a 1996 single wide 728 sq ft. which is big enough for me and the critters, it has a large front porch which adds quite a bit of living space in the summer.

My space rent includes garbage, sewer and water. Also includes street care, driveway and a storage unit at 411 month currently.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
Hi, soulsurv! I haven't been on the computer for a while and just saw your post. I am also single and have a very low income from social security. I have been looking into some retirement communities in the Mesa, Az area. The very nice parks with pretty lovely manufactured housing all require renting your lot and prices are generally around $600-650 per month---far out of reach for me on my income. The ones that I have looked at that allow you to own your lot are passable but not as nice. Most of the homes are 1970-1990 model single wide mobile homes. Some have been refurbished, however. There are no garages, but some have small storage sheds at the back of the carport overhang. I will be keeping an eye on these places in the next few years, however, because I think that's where I will wind up eventually. The HOA fees are roughly $100-150 per month for the communities where you own your lot, and there are numerous amenities offered. I just wish there was a little more area on the lots, as I know I will miss sitting out in my yard. I'll adapt, I am sure. I'm sorry I haven't actually visited any but one, and it doesn't have an HOA nor any amenities, and some of the homes/lots are run down and pretty trashy, so I think that is one I will avoid, although it does offer more yard space. Good luck on your search---it will be interesting to read what you find out. Wish I could have been more help to you!
You were very helpful! I'd love to live out West because the humidity here in the summer drives me crazy! At this point, though, I'm just too accustomed to being a Pennsylvanian - or at least a Northeasterner
Thanks so much!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Nothing wrong with the option. When you get to the purchase phase be sure the insulation is good in the roof and walls. Also how the water pipes are insulated. You will probably have heating tape on the pipes under the home to prevent freezing.

Check the history of utility usage. If electric this could be a problem.

You might also look to see if their are senior apartments in the area.

Since you will be rather young think about getting a job as an apartment complex superintendent or a similar job at a park.
Could never be a super, rjm!! Have NO mechanical skills at all. Thanks for the heads up on the checking things out well. I'll always favor a single dwelling as I'll always had dogs. Need to check out the fence options as well.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
I live in one (Salem,Oregon). I pay rent but my landlady is very good about small or no increases (avg. 3 per year). I do realize that could change, but I could also lose it all if the big one hits

I am happy with my choice overall. I am walking distance to shopping of all kinds, my doctor should i need to go, is a quick bus ride, the bus stops very close. I have a small yard and a garden and can have my 2 indoor cats without a monthly pet fee.I am in a 55+ and I have to say the only negatives for me in 5 years - it is just like a small town in that people love to gossip, the older single guys turn their surround systems up rather than using headphones or a hearing aid when watching movies or listening to music, and most use a gas mower, edger and leaf blower weekly on their small (150 sq ft lawn). I swear they do it one at a time to show off For the most part though it is very quiet and I love it. I own my home it is a 1996 single wide 728 sq ft. which is big enough for me and the critters, it has a large front porch which adds quite a bit of living space in the summer.

My space rent includes garbage, sewer and water. Also includes street care, driveway and a storage unit at 411 month currently.
I just realized that I was misleading with rent increases - it is an average of 3$ per year not 3 increases. 3 increases would have had me out of here long ago

Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Depending on your income and assets, you might want to see about getting into subsidized senior apartments.

Some upsides: If you can get a HUD voucher (Section 8) your rent would only be 30% of your income. Depending on the area, you can make a lot more than you might think.

If you get into a low income housing tax credit property - LIHTC - you can't get kicked out except for good cause, and the rent is based on your income. They also have to accept your Section 8 voucher if you have one, and you otherwise qualify (good credit, references, etc.) In other words, they can't just not renew your lease, unless you have done something really crazy, and they usually have to give you more than one chance to fix the problem - unless it's super crazy.

You can usually have one animal as an emotional support animal, even if they normally don't allow pets, if you have a doctor's note.

Some of them are pretty nice. I have all of the above, and now live in a nice neighborhood in San Jose, CA, have 1 bedroom and a balcony and underground parking. My portion of the rent is $286.

To get my HUD voucher, I had to move to the boonies for a few years, to an area where the waiting list was short, then I was able to "port" it back to this area. That's how you get Section 8 where the waiting lists are closed. If you can find a landlord who accepts Section 8, such as these senior places (a year wait list for the one I'm in), then you can "port" your voucher into the county where their own list is actually closed.

At any rate, it's not the same as having your own house, where you can have more than one dog, etc., but on the other hand, my rent will always be affordable and somebody else has to replace the roof, etc.

Plus, if you want to, there are community events, etc. I stick to myself, as I don't want my neighbors knocking on my door at all hours - learned that the hard way in other low income places I lived in. But, if you are the type, you can always hang out in the community room and participate in bingo, etc., and always have company. I just prefer to find my company away from where I live. But, it's there for those who are interested.

At any rate, this type of living arrangement gives me security. As long as I pay my part of the rent and behave myself, they can't kick me out, and my rent will only ever be 30% of my income, in a safe building, in a decent part of town. Bonus, is my apartment is also really quiet. I'm content here.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
The problem in my area with Section 8 is you only have 6 months to find a landlord to take your voucher and if you can't, your voucher reverts back to the city. Every year here the percentage of Section 8 voucher holders gets higher because fewer landlords will take them. And where I live the Section 8 vouchers are a lottery. You enter and only if your name is drawn do you get one. In other words, there is no list. I could theoretically enter Section 8 voucher lotteries till I drop dead and never "win" one.

For the OP, please read any and all contracts you are given before renting in any mobile home park. If you can't take the contract out of the park, that's a red flag right there. If it has 50 or more pages and you're being pressured to just scan it or sign it, run.

Because it's so hard and so expensive to move a mobile home, you want to know to a T what it is you're getting yourself into. I think mobile home parks are the worst of all housing. You're responsible for all the home maintenance, yet you're paying rent for the land that can go up as much as any rental. You also have the restrictions and dues of living in an HOA condo community with none of the appreciation a condo might get you.

Of course, if you can find a mobile home park that will let you buy your land (and I knew of one 40 years ago in Bakersfield), that's definitely a better deal. You might also check and see if anyone is willing to lease you the land in a mobile home park. I've seen that too. It doesn't mean it's rent free, but if you sign, say, a 99 year lease (with an option to get out of it when you die so your heirs don't get stuck with it), you might have a rental on the land where the rent won't go up for the duration of time that you're there, plus you have more control over what you can do with "your" land as long as you don't run afoul of HOA rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement