Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times

Advertisements

Medical and nursing students do consider having a cadaver to work on a privilege. There's no substitution for the physical touching of body parts, removing them, feeling the depth and density of the tissues. And they do share amongst many students or classes. Further, organs are removed to be used for numerous students and kept for long periods of time.

An anatomical gift of donating your body is still really appreciated by many schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
I'd consider doing what Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie, one of my lifelong heroes, did.

"When he died in 1942, Petrie donated his head (and thus his brain) to the Royal College of Surgeons of London while his body was interred in the Protestant Cemetery on Mt. Zion. World War II was then at its height, and the head was delayed in transit. After being stored in a jar in the college basement, its label fell off and no one knew who the head belonged to.[6] It was identified however, and is now stored, but not displayed, at the Royal College of Surgeons of London." []

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinders_Petrie

Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times
My mother did this.

My father is planning to do this too.

I probably will as well.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,976 times
My mom did . They kept her for a few years ( they usually do up to 5 years ) then the school cremates you and in my case sent her back to me free. She really wanted this .

Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
I am dating a doctor... does that count?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
After I take my last breath, If I cannot be revived in whole {not be living but brain dead}, then I have instructions on my driver's license to donate my organs, if they are considered to be of any use to anyone after I go.

I am trying to find a school that will take those remains and use for either research or for cadaver in teaching about the body. Students need to learn, and I have been a "guinea pig" in the teaching hospitals here in my area while alive, so being one in death is fine with me. I will no longer have no use for my body. Then I will be cremated as I see no need to take up more real estate when I am "not HERE anymore".

I want to be "the gift that keeps on giving"

Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Definitely check out the details first. My boss' mother wanted her body donated. He found he had to pay a lot of money to get the body transferred there - it would be reimbursed, but ONLY if they accepted the body. And there were a number of exclusions but I don't know those details. They did accept it, but a large sum still had to be paid upfront.
Most will only accept local bodies. They are not going to pay freight from say CA to MA.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:05 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
I want to be plastized like in the "Bodies" exhibit.

But, yeah, I'd donate if they'd take me for free. Don't care what happens to "this mortal coil" once I'm done with it....

Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
I didn't but my wife did...she donated my body to medicine.

I found out when they came to pick me up.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This morning I saw a program on TV about how cadavers aid medical students in learning about the human body. The show was very dignified and the students eager to learn. The medical school is in Florida utilizing a bright room with windows and good lighting. The cadavers were taken good care of and when an especially rare condition was found, the students could all observe it via televised programming. There was no dark basement smelling of formaldehyde, like in the past....
One hopes.

I didn't follow this story, but I did read articles when I came across them in the NY Times. I have forgotten the details. But in NYC it turns out that the standards the OP refers to above were often not adhered to and the disposal of the bodies had some unpleasant stuff going on too. The stories appeared over the last two years, as I recall, if anyone wants to try to unearth them (so to speak.)

I would be inclined to think (or like to believe, perhaps) that at a topnotch private hospital, however, things are likely to be up to snuff.

My arrangements for what is to be done with my cadaver have already been made. It is not "going to science." I have had what I feel were rather too many incidents of serious medical misjudgements exercised on me in my lifetime, both in the U.S. and Europe. This should probably have had the effect of pushing me strongly in the direction of donating my corpse for better training of future doctors, but it hasn't. Not at all.

When I am dead I want to be as free from doctors as I will be from pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement