Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Just read an article in AARP Bulletin called "Live to 100. Plan on It". Some highlights:

People over 85 are the fastest-growing demographic group in the U.S.

People 100 and over are the 2nd-fastest growing group.

Many of today's 65-year-olds will live well into their 90s.

The gist of the article is that we need to prepare for a time where it is common to live to 100. But I have no desire to live to 100! I saw how frail my Mom became after age 80, and I myself am having enough problems physically in my late 60's; cannot imagine going another 30+ years. I don't think our bodies were designed to last that long so I don't want medical technology to "help" us live to 100.

How do you all feel about it?
Well, in theory, in order to tick off all the items on the honey do list plus all the items on my own list, I need to make it to at least 100. That's one way to look at it.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 06-19-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
So, today, at the Padres vs. Kansas City Royals game in San Diego, a 100-year-old retired colonel from the Marine Corps sang the National Anthem! And, you know what? He sang it really well! A strong, clear voice. It was great. And he didn't sing it the way so many young people sing the Anthem nowadays, by adding extra syllables to words to be fancy (technically called "melisma") or holding the high notes for extended, show-offy periods of time. He stood up to the microphone with no support, etc. He looked about 75, not 100. The crowd loved it.
He had some serious Semper Fi going on!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
My mother is almost 91 & virtually all of her old friends are dead & the residue are too infirm/immobile to hardly do anything. She is the exception who is always planning a night out here & there. Her 10 year younger "second tier" of friends are all getting sick or dying now- when they do manage to get together it is long conversations about their medical issues & medications. Her husband has been dead for 25 years & her grand kids pretty much live their own lives elsewhere & I am 2 counties away, luckily one brother lives with her, another brother & spouse live 1 town away but rarely visit.

As I said she keeps active & moving & tries to stay positive but walking & driving to the store are getting to be more & more difficult. No one wants to die but if it was me I couldn't see wanting to be around another decade to get more isolated & sick.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM

352 posts, read 262,763 times
I want to be Betty White. Yep, that would suit me fine. And I always tell my son I will stay around as long as I can just to aggravate him. He does promise me a retirement home in Florida on the water, sooner than later. Ha ha.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Just read an article in AARP Bulletin called "Live to 100. Plan on It". Some highlights:

People over 85 are the fastest-growing demographic group in the U.S.

People 100 and over are the 2nd-fastest growing group.

Many of today's 65-year-olds will live well into their 90s.

The gist of the article is that we need to prepare for a time where it is common to live to 100. But I have no desire to live to 100! I saw how frail my Mom became after age 80, and I myself am having enough problems physically in my late 60's; cannot imagine going another 30+ years. I don't think our bodies were designed to last that long so I don't want medical technology to "help" us live to 100.

How do you all feel about it?
I think your assumption that living to 100 means decades of frailty is off base. It turns out the longest lived populations live not only longer, but better, with less frailty and less use of the health care system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff40YiMmVkU

Old 07-13-2017, 09:30 AM

121 posts, read 89,065 times
My Mum is 97 and was doing well both physically and mentally till around 91, but has been in decline since then. Mentally still sharp but her days are now very limited and revolve around doctor appointments. Last Christmas she received no cards from friends as the had all died and she frequently says she is not sure why she is still around.
Before her last hospital stay, we went through a "living will" form aimed at informing medical staff how hard should they work to resucitate if there was an incident. ie would you have acceptable quality life if you needed help to move? to eat?, to toilet? She surprised me by how far down the list she went before saying "no". Personally, I would be out at the second hurdle - going blind.

Back to the OP's question, I would as long as I was able to live independently and had my faculties. I expect all at that age will have aches and pain, I already have some arthritis, but serious impairment such as needing assistance to eat would have me checking out.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I have only 17 years to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement