Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I've been posting about Grape Seed Extract and Pycnogenol which are in the OPC class of antioxidants since I arrived at C-D and all in the Alternative Section of the Health area.

Grape Seed Extract Benefits OPC Antioxidant Page

I don't buy from the above company but LOVE LOVE their thorough overview of Grape Seed Ex.

Here is the History of OPC's.

OPC History | OPC Antioxidant Reference Guide

I found Pycnogenol in 1995 and took it for the first year and then switched to Grape Seed Extract as it was less money. Same same results:

What they've done for me:

1. Threw away allergy/sinus drugs in a short time on OPC's, never to visit an allergist again as I did for some years prior to OPC's.

2. Eye health is good, still wear scripts that I got 10 yrs ago and no cataracts and have NOT been to an eye doc in going on 10 yrs.

3. Gum health is good, I've years of dental work prior to OPC's, but to this date I have also not gone to a dentist in going on 10 yrs. I also make my own Coconut Oil Toothpaste. Commerical TP's are full of cwap.

4. Brown spots, liver spots and even birthmarks are faded and many gone.

5. Spider veins are about history too.

6. No cancer issues and the main reason I got on Pycnogenol is the panel of MD's and researchers who were touting this OPC said "May Prevent Cancers". It was coming into U.S. from France. Europe in many ways is ahead of us in remedies. I use homeopathics too, but that's another subject.

7. I was 57 when I found Pycnogenol or should I say Pycnogenol found me and I'm headed to 79 in August and still get you look in 50-60's.

8. I just spent 4.5 months in hospitals/rehabs for an infection in my knee and true the OPC's didn't prevent this, a long hard story and I'm still dealing with the MD's and hospital who did NOT find the infection until 2.5 months out when I was in the first rehab.

Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Not going to doctors and absolutely know the OPC's have made a huge difference in my life. If I can find help for a health issue I go to Dr. Google first and foremost and then if that fails I will see an MD.

My parents lived into early and mid 90's and if I will who knows, but if I'm not healthy I don't want to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

My parents lived into early and mid 90's and if I will who knows, but if I'm not healthy I don't want to be there.

But your parents didn't take grapeseed extract, so that kinda counters your own post.

I think I'll get mine through wine!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
OP,

Well good for you. I think you should keep this in the health forum.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But your parents didn't take grapeseed extract, so that kinda counters your own post.

I think I'll get mine through wine!!!
My mom took it at about 85 or so when I was getting the results I got. She had no more colds nor cold sores. Dad took it one day and "it didn't do anything" so he quit. Maybe the alcohol preserved him. I mentioned my mom took it for a while, you must have missed that Mikala.

I did my share of wine and loved the organics as no sulfites.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
OP,

Well good for you. I think you should keep this in the health forum.

Why not put it here, everyone talks about aging. Why not share this as it is known to slow down aging.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
I don't have any personal experience with grape fruit extracts. Out of my curiosity, I did a search and found these articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_seed_extract

Quote:
Precautions
Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with certain drugs, increasing the potency of many compounds,[38] including warfarin (coumadin).[39] Grapefruit has components that inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme in the intestine.[38] Thus, it is this effect that increases the rate of absorption of several drugs.[40] There are concerns about the safety of ingesting synthetic preservatives found in grapefruit seed extract.[7]

Controversy
GSE usage has been popularized by many companies within the scope of the health food industry.[5] There are books exclusively dedicated to GSE.[3][41][42] This extract is promoted by marketers on the internet, there are health food stores that recommend its use, and proponents maintain that it is safe.[5][7] Some consumers believe this extract is an effective natural preservative even though multiple scientific studies have concluded that the universal antimicrobial activity is merely from contamination with synthetic antimicrobials
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/not...-seed-extract/

Quote:
What’s the bottom line with GSE?

There is no evidence suggesting that actual grapefruit seed extract has any meaningful antibacterial, antifungal, or antiviral effects. Repeated testing over the past 20 years has demonstrated that any GSE efficacy is due to product adulteration with one or more synthetic chemical disinfectants. Adulterated or not, there is no reason to take GSE at all. The fact that it continues to be widely sold is testament to the ineffectiveness of regulations that should put consumer safety ahead of a manufacturer’s right to sell a dodgy product.
I found this article interesting based on my past life as a chemist

Chemical of the Day - Most Controversial - The Truth About Grapefruit Seed*Extract

Quote:
The bottom line is that while there is conflicting evidence of the other negative health effects of benzethonium chloride (and the diphenol hydroxybenzene present in GSE), at the very least it's a skin irritant that increases inflammation in the body. My personal opinion on it is that it is safer than other preservatives. However, if you prescribe to an organic mindset and lifestyle, you will want to avoid Grapefruit Seed Extract, for it is nothing other than a synthetic chemical.

Note: Grapefruit essential oil is natural, and not the same thing as Grapefruit Seed Extract.
I'd suggest people who are interested in taking GSE do their own research and pay attention to the precautions warning.

I also think that this thread should be moved to the health forum.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM

I'm not talking GrapeFRUIT, but GrapeSEED from the seeds of mostly red grapes.

I should mention one disclaimer: Those on blood thinner drugs, can't take both.

My friend who just passed at 95 and was on heart meds for years asked her pharamist about grapeSEED extract for her and he said fine, I take it. No problem with her heart med.

Also, I know many of you have pets and vets do sell GrapeSeed for animals. There are sites online about this too.

My neighbor's cat got an extra year after she put grapeSEED in his food and he was challenged with cancer. He ran around like a young cat for that year. Then he did go and maybe she stopped the grapeSEED, I don't know. He was up in years.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Oops! I should have searched for grape seed extract. It appears to be not as controversial as grape fruit extract

Grape Seed Extract: Benefits and Side Effects

Quote:
Why do people take grape seed extract?

There’s strong evidence that grape seed extract is beneficial for a number of cardiovascular conditions. Grape seed extract may help with a type of poor circulation (chronic venous insufficiency) and high cholesterol. Grape seed extract also reduces swelling caused by injury and helps with eye disease related to diabetes.

Researchers are studying grape seed extract to see if it might lower the risks of some cancers. For now, the evidence is not clear.

Grape seed extract has been studied for use in many other conditions -- ranging from PMS to skin damage to wound healing -- but the results have been inconclusive.
However, there are precautions for taking grape seed extracts as with all supplements

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/grapeseed/ataglance.htm

Quote:
What Do We Know About Safety?
Grape seed extract is generally well tolerated when taken in moderate amounts. It has been tested safely for up to 14 weeks in studies of people. It’s possibly unsafe if you have a bleeding disorder or are going to have surgery or if you take anticoagulants (blood thinners), such as warfarin or aspirin.
Grape Seed Extract: How Healthful Is It? - Medical News Today

Quote:
Side effects and precautions
Common side effects include:

Headache
Sore throat
Dizziness
Itchy scalp
Stomach ache
Nausea

It is important to talk to your doctor before taking grape seed extract as it can affect the way that certain medications are broken down in the liver.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:35 PM

I've NEVER had an issue with GrapeSeed Extract and going into 23 years but had plenty of side effects from the pharma drugs...sound familiar? Don't listen to my experiences if you don't want to. Just sharing what works so so good for my health and longevity.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It is always wise to consult with your doctor when taking any supplements.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement