Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ No not at all. As I said I don't jump to the conclusion that "they don't have a life."

Maybe I'm just trying to understand something I'll never understand. And posted the topic for conversation. That's all.

And as I said all of my jobs have been restrictive with time off and scheduling. 24/7/365 operations with no holidays. So maybe that's why I long for the freedom of no time commitments. 30 years of (practically) missing all family functions...being made to feel guilty about asking for personal days, having time off requests refused.....gets to a person. OR got to ME anyway. Former co-worlers I talk to LOVE having their time be their own. I'm at a point in life where I look forward to my time being my own.

I don't think there's any question that most people who work do NOT make their own schedule. So your work schedule does determine how one plans the rest of one's time. And if one continues to work one doesn't have to, then by default that person is content to have others determine their schedule. And that's OK.
She pretty much has her own schedule and she can quit whenever she wants. Still gets a pension from her almost 40 years with SBC - they still pay her health care. Also gets SS. Her hubby has a pension and SS. He doesn't work.

I've been retired for over ten years now and every now and then I feel like getting a job. But then I am surrounded by sickly people and I do lots of errand running - so can't really get a job. I do get a pension and VA. So even though I am retired - my time is restricted - you can't win!!!

I never felt restricted in my former work life - 30 days of leave every year plus all federal holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Your thoughts please....

Maybe this is just like any other case where certain people just don't "get" certain other people -- or why others do a certain thing? Just like I don't get why some people are into certain status symbols, and others don't get why I might do something they'd never do.

And I'm not talking about people who HAVE to work for money to survive.

But for the life of me I just don't get why people would WANT to work past any age where they don't have to.

That means wanting to have someone else determine or affect so many other things about your life:
-- when you get up, when you go to bed
-- which days you have free
-- and therefore which times you can do others things: seeing family, taking a trip, golfing, bowling, knitting, gardening, whatever.

And I don't think it's a matter of enjoying what you do for a living. A person can enjoy their job plenty, and that doesn't mean they'd still do it for pay if they didn't have to.

Now, if a person retires from a job, and then goes back and volunteers COMPLETELY ON THEIR OWN TERMS -- meaning they can show up when THEY like, with no commitment I guess that would be different.

But by the time we're 65 or 70 shouldn't we be done with people telling us where we HAVE To be at any given time, and others determining OUR schedules. I know I will be.

I guess it's sort of related to why I don't understand how people say they don't know what they do with themselves if they retired, or people who presume retirement means doing nothing. (Far from it.)

I don't want to presume that people who ay those things "don't have a life outside work' -- which you hear many times. But it sure makes me wonder how can a person WANT to work at 70 years old...and not see the FREEDOM that not working brings.

(Full disclosure: all previous jobs I've had have been very restrictive with time off and scheduling so I know that's part of my thought process.)
The type of work you are describing strikes me as hourly maybe even blue collar work in some old school place where there is not much self direction.

Not every line of work is like that.

Some lines of work have lots of independence and freedom of action.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Assuming financials are in order, those who want to work "for the man" are typically in two categories IMO

1) builders/fixers - people who are building or fixing something. Think engineers, auto mechanics, skilled construction people, etc. This can also include nontangible items like software developers.

2) social helpers - people who derive personal satisfaction from helping others.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Assuming financials are in order, those who want to work "for the man" are typically in two categories IMO

1) builders/fixers - people who are building or fixing something. Think engineers, auto mechanics, skilled construction people, etc. This can also include nontangible items like software developers.

2) social helpers - people who derive personal satisfaction from helping others.
yes - my sibling helps low income people. She has great customer service skills. There are lots of other older people that work there too.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:30 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - my sibling helps low income people. She has great customer service skills. There are lots of other older people that work there too.
A lot of nurses and other health workers derive enjoyment from their work. So do a lot of teachers. Many of these professions can be continued, at least somewhat so, well into old age.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of nurses and other health workers derive enjoyment from their work. So do a lot of teachers. Many of these professions can be continued, at least somewhat so, well into old age.
Our small hospital has a social worker lady that is in her 80s. Doesn't look it either. Always has a smile on her face.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I really have no idea. I retired when I turned 60. My wife retired at the same time, at age 58. Three later and she's bored with retirement and went back to work. It's not a money or health insurance issue. She's just bored. I found more enjoyable endeavors to keep me occupied. So no more work for me.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
When you work in exchange for money, you are by definition creating value for society. That is greatly fulfilling.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
My mother is still working part-time at her local library at age 81 mostly because she's afraid she'd be bored if she stopped (plus the extra money is helpful).

Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I hope to work until 70 but perhaps cut back my hours at some point before that. I feel fortunate that I am a builder/fixer who gets to help people. By that I mean that I enjoy the functions of my role and find it mentally stimulating. And I work for a not for profit whose mission I support. My role is behind the scenes but critical nonetheless and I value getting to be a part of this enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement