Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
California doesn't tax Social Security benefits so this is a totally moot thread.
I think you mean it is a Moo Point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bo5...youtu.be&t=22s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think you mean it is a Moo Point:
On this message board, about 50% of the time, it's a mute point. I guess that's how a mime argues?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The 13 states that tax Social Security are Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia.
I saw that list when I did the Google. It's not completely accurate. For example, Rhode Island has a means test on taxing Social Security income. They don't tax it at all if your AGI is below $80K/single, $100K joint. Rhode Island also excludes the first $15K of your other income for people at FRA if you're below those same income thresholds. They're trying to slow down retirees fleeing the state. Like a lot of other places, they still need to address property taxes. I think states should adopt a California/Florida-style yearly cap on increases for people at full retirement age. The maximum increase if you don't improve the property should be held to your Social Security COLA adjustment percentage.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:12 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,193,358 times
Actually, the maximum social security benefit that will be paid in 2017 is $3,538/mo. According to Motley Fool: https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ity-benef.aspx

This is far more than I will be eligible to receive @ FRA.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Actually, the maximum social security benefit that will be paid in 2017 is $3,538/mo. According to Motley Fool: https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ity-benef.aspx

This is far more than I will be eligible to receive @ FRA.
That looks to me like the maximum with extra credits.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Better not tell CA they missed one.

Shhhh. Don't give them any ideas.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
They make it so complicated. Michigan has 3 different sets of rules depending on when you were born. The last "tier"

Taxpayers born after 1952

If you were born after 1952, your social security income is exempt and so is income from railroad and military pensions. You don’t get a senior citizen subtraction for interest, dividends and capital gains. Before age 67, you are not eligible for any subtractions from your income from private or public pensions. After age 67, you can choose to continue to have social security and railroad or military income exempt or you can choose to subtract $20,000 ($40,000 if married and filing jointly) from the amount you’ll pay taxes on. If you choose to keep your social security and railroad or military income exempt, then you can claim a personal exemption.

I don't even understand that. Seems like if you choose soc security/mil pension exempt, then you "can't" claim a personal exemption?

Either way I will have no idea of how to figure that out.

I want to move to the state/country with the simplest rules!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
They make it so complicated. Michigan has 3 different sets of rules depending on when you were born. The last "tier"

Taxpayers born after 1952

If you were born after 1952, your social security income is exempt and so is income from railroad and military pensions. You don’t get a senior citizen subtraction for interest, dividends and capital gains. Before age 67, you are not eligible for any subtractions from your income from private or public pensions. After age 67, you can choose to continue to have social security and railroad or military income exempt or you can choose to subtract $20,000 ($40,000 if married and filing jointly) from the amount you’ll pay taxes on. If you choose to keep your social security and railroad or military income exempt, then you can claim a personal exemption.

I don't even understand that. Seems like if you choose soc security/mil pension exempt, then you "can't" claim a personal exemption?

Either way I will have no idea of how to figure that out.

I want to move to the state/country with the simplest rules!
And, amazingly, some people think the solution to our problem is yet more rules.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Thank you all. I should have included private pension in my original post, since PA doesn't tax SS or pensions. I need to get at the pension soon after I move so wondering how I can do that without getting taxed.

Kiplinger's state guide:

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I was happy to see that when I retired, all my income sources asked me if I want taxes take out. In the working world you don't have a choice.

None of my income is taxed, but at the end of the year I need to pay the IRS, but as the year progresses I concentrate on tax deductions and by tax time I really don't owe that much.

You kinda do. You can adjust how much is taken out by your exemptions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement