Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times

Advertisements

What if retirees are asked out to dinner by their younger family members who still work? Should they say, "No way, we aren't supposed to go out on the weekend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 06:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
i suspect retirees have no idea what day it is when they get the urge to go out.

if they happen to get in the way of people like the OP then, eh, co-winkee-dinkee

Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
I do everything I can to avoid shopping. I'd rather extinguish lit cigarettes on my tongue than go shopping.

I do go out to dinner & a show fairly often.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Sometimes retirees like being around other people. Why should they wait to go to a restaurant when it's empty? Also, where we live, the one home style restaurant in town serves a seafood buffet only on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Or go to the grocery store at 5PM? Or the Post Office, bank or dry cleaners at lunch time?

Pet peeve of mine since my working days.

I have what I believe to be better questions.

Why do so many non-retired folks, most of whom have not and will not properly plan for their retirement so they don't have to live on government handouts, insist on going out to dinner on Friday or Saturday nights (or any other night of the week) when instead, they should be eating beans and rice or Ramen Noodles that they cooked at home and place that $50 to $60 or more on each frivolous weekly or so dinner outing into investments? Why do so many of these ill prepared people have to clog up we the retired folks' nice evenings out?

Why do you folks keep financing new or newer vehicles that you really can't afford, raising to cost of new vehicles for we the retired folks who have earned, saved and invested? Why aren't you selfish people satisfied with point A to point B used vehicles like some of us drove while we sacrificed to save and invest our earnings?

Why do so many selfish working people need to clog the internet bandwidth when that interferes with us retired people from emailing and PMing smilies and kitten pictures while watching YouTube videos of funny stuff?

Why do so many selfish working people complain about catastrophic anthropogenic global warming when you could do the environment a favor by not driving anywhere, not buying anything that took transportation to get it to where you bought it, not heat or cool your homes and stop exhaling so you can genuinely do your part at reducing atmospheric CO2?

My best guess is none of you working folks find my questions have any real merit. If that is the case, which it likely is, then quit judging why we retired people do any of the things we do, whenever we damn well please.

Judgemental and selfish folks are high on MY pet peeve list, especially now that I am retired.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Well, at least someone else gets it.
I do get it - I, too get annoyed at oldsters dawdling around during the time I have available to shop or eat out.

I'm sure I'll get reamed out about this.

Another issues is TRAFFIC. It is horrible, beyond horrible in the Fort Worth, TX area. I'll be AT HOME anytime after 3pm on any given weekday.

I'd rather be sitting by the pool anyway

Old 06-18-2017, 07:17 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
We've found that many of the better restaurants have their full A team - chef & servers & bartenders - on Fri and Sat nights but it's hit or miss the rest of the week.
So if we're going out for a nice dinner, it'll be one of those nights.

We do enjoy eating lunch out during the week as most of the places that specialize in lunch are consistent throughout the week.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 06-18-2017 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I have what I believe to be better questions.

Why do so many non-retired folks, most of whom have not and will not properly plan for their retirement so they don't have to live on government handouts, insist on going out to dinner on Friday or Saturday nights (or any other night of the week) when instead, they should be eating beans and rice or Ramen Noodles that they cooked at home and place that $50 to $60 or more on each frivolous weekly or so dinner outing into investments? Why do so many of these ill prepared people have to clog up we the retired folks' nice evenings out?

Why do you folks keep financing new or newer vehicles that you really can't afford, raising to cost of new vehicles for we the retired folks who have earned, saved and invested? Why aren't you selfish people satisfied with point A to point B used vehicles like some of us drove while we sacrificed to save and invest our earnings?

Why do so many selfish working people need to clog the internet bandwidth when that interferes with us retired people from emailing and PMing smilies and kitten pictures while watching YouTube videos of funny stuff?

Why do so many selfish working people complain about catastrophic anthropogenic global warming when you could do the environment a favor by not driving anywhere, not buying anything that took transportation to get it to where you bought it, not heat or cool your homes and stop exhaling so you can genuinely do your part at reducing atmospheric CO2?

My best guess is none of you working folks find my questions have any real merit. If that is the case, which it likely is, then quit judging why we retired people do any of the things we do, whenever we damn well please.

Judgemental and selfish folks are high on MY pet peeve list, especially now that I am retired.
Nailed it! I look at it this way, I spent the past 45 years working,saving, and investing just to get to the point in my life where I could retire and live comfortably. Call me entitled if you'd like, but the way I see it I have earned the right to go anywhere I want,anytime I want to go. If that bothers someone because they think I should stay home so they can do their thing without having to deal with us old retired people,I say good luck with that. See you at Walmart!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I had non-standard working hours for most of my life, and you can bet I did not choose to be out and about in traffic and avoided busy times in stores, etc.
Same here. Don't like crowds, never did, even when younger. Big events w/lots of people - I can't wait to leave. Always been this way. For 40 years I worked nights/weekends, w/exception of last five years when I was forced to join the 9:30-6 M/F world (they accommodated me w/a later start & quit) which I hated with a passion. Working those hours (the early start) makes you old in a hurry. Very unhealthy, imo. Even during those last years, I'd grocery shop at 7 at night after work on Monday or Wednesday - and never left the house on weekends unless absolutely necessary.

To this day, retired now 8 years, I grocery shop no earlier than 6 or 6:30 p.m., more often after 9 p.m. Clothes and everything else I get from the internet. Few times I eat out it's on a weeknight, avoid weekends. Sunday, in particular, I like staying home.

Few times today I need to see a bank teller, I visit the branch at 6:30 p.m. (they close at 7) to avoid lines. I'm usually the only one there. Otherwise use an ATM for deposits (and very rare cash withdrawals) in the grocery story, often at 10:30 at night.

So, I'm not a retiree who wastes the time of the busy people paying my SS.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Perhaps they're hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement