U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times

Advertisements

This weekend has been a busy with cleaning and such. I drive an Escape, which is pretty easy for me to get in and out of. Before that, I had an Elantra, and while I little harder to get in and out of, it wasn't bad.

My grandmother drives a Malibu. I washed it at a car wash today and it was low to the ground - I had to kind of squat down and roll into it. Even while driving it, I felt kind of wadded up and confined. I can see how it would be difficult for a senior with mobility issues to use, as it wasn't even comfortable for me.

Have you gone toward larger cars or SUVs? SUVs are a little more "centered" to the average person's height, preventing the stooping required to get into cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 03:06 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Cars are not a problem. What I dislike is the height of a standard residential toilet. They seem to be built for midgets and children.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:08 PM

31,971 posts, read 36,594,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Cars are not a problem. What I dislike is the height of a standard residential toilet. They seem to be built for midgets and children.
I believe The old standard is 14 inches tall. Many builders now install a 17 inch tall toilet which is a world of difference.
I'm 6'4 and had the 17 put in my home about 6 years ago.

My old Honda Pilot was perfect for my elderly mother. My new Tahoe is too tall for her to easily get into.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 PM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
For a retiree, the most comfortable car has a high "H Point", the dimension from the ground to the hip. That means a CUV such as a Subaru Forester, a Ford Escape, or a Honda CRV.

Also, minivans do well with both the high ride height and the added virtue of a smoother ride due to their extra long wheelbase. For me, the most comfortable vehicle is a Honda Odyssey.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:14 PM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Have you gone toward larger cars or SUVs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkfrJnTA9o

Old 06-18-2017, 03:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Age 73 here. I own, drive, and love a 2007 Mazda Speed3. It has a turbo-charged engine, a six-speed manual transmission, and factory tricked out brakes and suspension. The steering is extremely precise. The ride is a little taut, but that is a good trade-off for the excellent handling. It has five seat belts and plenty of headroom, so it's also a very practical car. The fastest I have driven it personally is 125 mph indicated, which was about three years ago on a very isolated stretch of I-10 in Arizona. (Was only at that speed for a few seconds).

The biggest drawback is a rather vicious torque steer at very low speeds, as it has front-wheel drive. It requires premium fuel, but again, that's a good trade-off considering the good performance of the engine.

It is not super low to the ground, so it's quite easy to enter and exit. I can't imagine who would want an SUV just for the supposed "ease" of entry and exit. A normal sedan is quite easy. Now maybe a Ferrari or even a Vette might be problematic for some folks.

One of the great things about my Mazda Speed3 is the reasonable price: When I bought it almost ten years ago, I wrote a check for about $27,000. (Can't remember the exact figure, and I'm too lazy to look it up.) Mazda stopped importing this model a few years ago, much to my chagrin. If mine were totaled in an accident or something, I really don't know what I would buy as a replacement.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
I will never buy a car again. I find Suv's so much easier to get in and out. I am 6'4 and I keep getting bigger and the cars keep getting smaller.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:30 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This weekend has been a busy with cleaning and such. I drive an Escape, which is pretty easy for me to get in and out of. Before that, I had an Elantra, and while I little harder to get in and out of, it wasn't bad.

My grandmother drives a Malibu. I washed it at a car wash today and it was low to the ground - I had to kind of squat down and roll into it. Even while driving it, I felt kind of wadded up and confined. I can see how it would be difficult for a senior with mobility issues to use, as it wasn't even comfortable for me.

Have you gone toward larger cars or SUVs? SUVs are a little more "centered" to the average person's height, preventing the stooping required to get into cars.

Oh yes. We loved our SUV for that reason, among many others, like feeling safer. We sold it to a 76-yr-old who was having trouble with her Cadillac, getting in and out. She wanted a higher car.

With my knee issues, I almost couldn't make it out of my friend's Corvette. And I used to have one in my 30's!

Old 06-18-2017, 03:30 PM

238 posts, read 153,786 times
Eight years ago I spent an entire summer searching for a vehicle. I wanted a comfortable SUV for traveling and a reasonable amount of room for groceries, cargo and such. Navigation, Bose radio, heated seats and steering wheel, comfortable leather seats back and front, sun roof were all on my wish list. I didn't want a small SUV neither did I want a huge one. After test driving just about everyone in that range, I chose a Nissan Murano and have never regretted it. The comfortable ride and the negotiated price worked for me. When I travel, I want to ride high enough to see what's ahead. It is easy peasy to get in and out of.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM

547 posts, read 387,942 times
Yamaha Super Tenere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or