Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM

13,087 posts, read 20,779,599 times

Advertisements

Kroger's Senior Discounts are alive and well in most places. They do alter the program to test out alternative concepts, such as in parts of Virginia they are eliminating the 10% senior discount replacing it with increase discounts for rewards members all month long. In parts of AZ, they are eliminating the freebie snacks and coffee at the door on senior day because they had people dumping the whole tray into their walker basket and bringing in a thermos to empty out the coffee urn. Most Kroger's have gone to the register for the discount meaning you now have to be rewards member with the senior discount tied to your card to get the discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,325,952 times
I believe I've gotten a senior discount at Harris Teeter on Thurs.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,435,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Check out Senior Discounts - Over 250,000 Local Senior Citizen Discounts For Seniors Age 50+ and Theseniorlist.com for senior discounts in your area.
Thanks, looks like Kroger starts at 60. Not quite there yet.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,115,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Do any grocery stores still offer discounts for 55+? Everything I can find says Kroger was discontinued a few years ago. Does Albertson's or WinCo?
It depends on the market. Fry's and Smith's (Kroger) offer a 10% cash discount on the first Wednesday of each month for 55+. However, most Kroger's stores in the Midwest do NOT do that. Safeway also does the same but it is in finer print. My local IGA also offers a 10% discount weekly.

Winco Foods is strictly an "Every Day Low Price" shop and does not offer senior discounts. Their pricing, especially on their private labels is much less than the similar products at the Kroger brands. Winco private label products are competitive with Aldi prices.

Walgreens offers a similar program on the first Tuesday of the month. I have found it to be less useful as there are exception after exceptions.

===================

I do not want to get off-topic BUT ...

If you are shopping at a Kroger's affiliate, the real savings is using their digital coupons. I find those to be infinitely more valuable. I like their "Free Friday" promotions as some of the items are $3-5 values.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,244,193 times
The Safeway and Fry's here in southern Arizona also have senior days on the first Wednesday of the month. Unfortunately, I can never take advantage cause my SS check arrives the third week of the month.

Do any of the stores even realize that most seniors no longer get their SS checks during the first week?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,220 posts, read 80,386,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Our local Kroger (Fred Meyer) still does Senior Day, 1st Tuesday of the month. It's somewhat limited - 10% on house brands only (Private Selection, Kroger, Simple Truth and a few others).
Same here, Fred Meyer on Tuesdays, and the local assisted living places all bus their residents there.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM

8,232 posts, read 8,564,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It depends on the market. Fry's and Smith's (Kroger) offer a 10% cash discount on the first Wednesday of each month for 55+. However, most Kroger's stores in the Midwest do NOT do that. Safeway also does the same but it is in finer print. My local IGA also offers a 10% discount weekly.

Winco Foods is strictly an "Every Day Low Price" shop and does not offer senior discounts. Their pricing, especially on their private labels is much less than the similar products at the Kroger brands. Winco private label products are competitive with Aldi prices.

Walgreens offers a similar program on the first Tuesday of the month. I have found it to be less useful as there are exception after exceptions.

===================

I do not want to get off-topic BUT ...

If you are shopping at a Kroger's affiliate, the real savings is using their digital coupons. I find those to be infinitely more valuable. I like their "Free Friday" promotions as some of the items are $3-5 values.
I click on every digital coupon that I think I may buy. Then I get a surprise when I see my receipt for something I clicked on a few weeks ago.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
The senior discount was eliminated awhile back at the Krogers in Knoxville, TN.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,475,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Do any grocery stores still offer discounts for 55+? Everything I can find says Kroger was discontinued a few years ago. Does Albertson's or WinCo?
Harris Teeter does Thursdays as senior day.
"I usually run out of stuff on Wednesday"

Old 06-23-2017, 09:21 AM

5,236 posts, read 3,574,655 times
My locals, one is affiliated with Key Food, give 5% to over 65yo on senior days. The bigger one asked for ID but my smaller neighborhood one just gave it upon asking when I was 63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement