Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
quite a few states now have them in one form or another . only 10 states don't . only 2 or 3 offer full asset protection . the rest are dollar for a dollar protection .

Long Term Care Insurance Partnership Programs by State

Thanks! This is useful information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I have no doubt of THAT. But the article is in the present...and I think there are far worse things than having to spend a couple years on Medicaid (as it should be or used to be, not what the future may hold for it). I don't think many people can realistically be self-pay if they are more than a very few years in a nursing home...at some point they will need government help, and that is completely fair after they have spent what they can, without cheating and gaming the system. Many people are deluding themselves if they think their future will really be much different.
cheating or gaming the system ?

like our tax system which is based on your fair share of taxes is the lowest amount you can arrive at using the laws and tools left in place so is the long term care system .

all these tools and laws left in place were left in place for a reason . the states don't want to impoverish 2 people . having the stay at home spouse and the person needing care impoverished does the states no good and hurts them even more. having two people to now support on public assistance makes it even worse .

that is why not only have most states created partnership plans but these laws and tools are purposely left in place .

it would be quite easy to make look back forever . but that is not what states want .

a now famous judge in CT . ordered medicaid to reach an agreement with someone who invoked right of refusal to reach an amiable agreement in payments so the citizen that stays at home is not impoverished .

ny ,ct and florida now have medicaid negotiations instead of law suits going on .

it is not gaming the system when someone utilizes the laws and tools purposely left in place to be used . you will always have those both in long term care and taxes who think they get extra points for paying more than their fair share and don't use the tools and laws purposely left in place to be used because they do not seek help in reducing their fair share to the lowest level they can . ..

we are not talking committing tax fraud or medicaid fraud which is something else all together

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-09-2017 at 02:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Most people under 65 on it have to prove disability. The reason the elderly are exempt from the able-bodied definition is that we as a society don't expect them to work. That is why we have Social Security income and those with low (really low) SS income get Medicaid in addition to Medicare. So they, yanno, don't end up on the street needing medical care they can't pay their co-insurance for.
That's red state math. In ACA opt-in states, anybody low income qualifies for Medicaid.

My mom is in assisted living with dementia problems. At her current burn rate, she'll be out of money in 4 years 3 months. At the rate her memory and cognitive function are declining, she's likely to be in a memory care facility well before she runs out of money.

I roll my eyes when I read articles like the one in the initial post of this thread. I think the whole Medicaid trust thing where the rest of us get stuck with the bill so the adult children can line their pockets is totally wrong.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:32 AM

i agree that some of these protections should not extend to heirs just spouses .....

impoverishing a stay at home spouse is very different than heirs just not receiving their inheritance .

i am all for using the tools and laws available to us to protect a spouse .

Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
People should look at life insurance policies that offer living benefits. Talk with your life agent or an independent agent.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM

they are very poor deals .

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I'll buy a robot to take care of me at home. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM

i would get one of those inflatable dolls if they could cook .

Old 07-09-2017, 01:41 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
quite a few states now have them in one form or another . only 10 states don't . only 2 or 3 offer full asset protection . the rest are dollar for a dollar protection .

Long Term Care Insurance Partnership Programs by State
Thanks for posting this link. I didn't know these were available outside NY.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
i would get one of those inflatable dolls if they could cook .

Wait a few minutes..... I think one will be out any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement