Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would not want to hang on in a state of dementia or bed-bound, diapered immobility, and there are many people who feel the same. So medically assisted suicide needs to be an option. But death panels sounds like specific age or health condition = time to die, whether you want to or not. No way to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
I have read most of the posts in this thread and can understand the various viewpoints. The one thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how over-priced and over-diagnosed patients have become in nursing homes and in old age.

For example, my mother slipped out of bed and landed on her rear end. A nurse called me and I went in straight away and talked to my mother. She was okay. The nurse and several CNAs (who visit her every day, all day) also said she was okay, but the doctor on call wanted to schedule X-rays. This was the fourth or fifth time in 3 months the doctor wanted X-rays. As the primary family contact, I had the right and did turn down the request for X-rays. What would they have found? 89-year-old bones!

Same goes with eye appointments, ear appointments, dental appointments, foot appointments, etc. ad nauseum. For sure some of these are "covered by insurance", but that is what keeps insurance premiums so high: elders getting intensive care often for no good reason.

Old people are seen as cash cows by the billers in the medical infrastructure.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:33 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Personally, I would not want to hang on in a state of dementia or bed-bound, diapered immobility, and there are many people who feel the same. So medically assisted suicide needs to be an option. But death panels sounds like specific age or health condition = time to die, whether you want to or not. No way to that.
The "death panels" term was coined by religious fundamentalists who believe nobody, especially YOU, has the right to take your own life except God.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I have read most of the posts in this thread and can understand the various viewpoints. The one thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how over-priced and over-diagnosed patients have become in nursing homes and in old age.

For example, my mother slipped out of bed and landed on her rear end. A nurse called me and I went in straight away and talked to my mother. She was okay. The nurse and several CNAs (who visit her every day, all day) also said she was okay, but the doctor on call wanted to schedule X-rays. This was the fourth or fifth time in 3 months the doctor wanted X-rays. As the primary family contact, I had the right and did turn down the request for X-rays. What would they have found? 89-year-old bones!

Same goes with eye appointments, ear appointments, dental appointments, foot appointments, etc. ad nauseum. For sure some of these are "covered by insurance", but that is what keeps insurance premiums so high: elders getting intensive care often for no good reason.

I agree that a lot of those tests and treatments are unnecessary, but not for the reason you suggest. Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements are frequently inadequate to pay for the expense of conducting some of those tests. Unless the patient has a generous supplemental insurance policy, those patients aren't cash cows, they're losses. The driving factor is defensive medicine, wherein physicians order tests to make sure injuries and other conditions aren't missed and they aren't sued, even if those test results don't change anything.

For example, a 95 year old nursing home patient with numerous medical problems falls down and lands on her hip. If she's got a bad bruise, she gets put back in bed with pain meds as needed. If she's got a broken hip, she's not a candidate for hip surgery, so she gets put back in bed with pain meds as needed. So why get an Xray, which usually requires transferring the patient to the nearest ER by ambulance, when the results won't change the treatment, which is to keep the patient comfortable? The same for determining someone's cataracts are getting worse, etc, etc.

However, failure to get that Xray to diagnose the broken hip is a source of malpractice lawsuits, so the doctor orders the Xray. Malpractice suits (and insurance against same) add considerably to the cost of medical care. State malpractice reform would go a long way to decreasing medical costs, for the elderly and everyone else.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:00 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

It's not just the elderly. My step-son had to make 8 trips to the Dr over a 3 month period to get his gallbladder out. He joked that he probably could wipe out his deductible before they operated. He has BCBS.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
If you google "are adult children responsible for parents debt" you'll see by and large the answer is no. Can they be sued for such debt? Of course, but can this be won and enforced? Not likely.
If they are successful in cutting medicaid by 800 billion dollars over 10 years,it would be impossible for the states can't make up that difference which means one of two things will happen. The elderly will be discharged from nursing homes and it will be up to their family or friends to take them in, or the family of the elderly person will be responsible for paying at least part of the bill. Here are the medi-cal daily reimbursement rates for skilled nursing facilities.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
My wife is of Asian descent and she and her sisters took care of their mother during her final sickness with round the clock care at home. They made her last days as comfortable as they possibly could. Quite a change from American children who just move away and forget about their parents. It's definitely a cultural thing.
Unfortualty it's not always possible. People have to move for oppurtunites and some choose professions that limit where they can live.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I was shocked to read that 29 states have laws called “filial support” laws that could force an adult child to pick up the tab for any Medicaid or nursing home bills a parent leaves behind on death. Imagine a scenario where you are the child who has assumed duties for looking after his/her affairs. As I read this you don't even have to be a power-of-attorney to be held liable. Basically all you have to have are assets that can be seized by the state to cover the costs the state or a nursing home has incurred looking after her. The states actively using these laws are Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. The article below will explain in greater detail but this is something any child who has an impoverished or near-impoverished parent to look after.

Will You Be Responsible for Repaying Medicaid for Your Parents’ Bills? | Senior Care Corner
This absolutely isn't true. Ar has no suck law. Neither does WVA or Ca. Now, maybe the law requires this if all assets a parent had was turned over to living children just prior to a parent going into long term care. That I do not know for a fact.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This absolutely isn't true. Ar has no suck law. Neither does WVA or Ca. Now, maybe the law requires this if all assets a parent had was turned over to living children just prior to a parent going into long term care. That I do not know for a fact.
Unfortunately it's true:
http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...ompt-long-term

California's law prohibits the state from recovering costs if the parent is on medi-cal, which would exempt most people from being impacted by the law.

In Pennsylvania in 2012 the appellate court upheld a judgment against a son was held responsible for $93,000 of his mother's nursing home bill. In a 2015 case two adult children were sued by the third who was paying to care for his mother and one settled out of court and the other was ordered to pay $400 a month toward his mother's support. Both cases are outlined here: Law can require children to pay support for aging parents | Marshall, Parker & Weber LLC

You can find West Virginia's filial law here, the code # is 9-5-9 WV Code Chapter 09 Article 5

In Arkansas the support requirement is limited to a parent's mental health services. Are You Responsible for Mom's Nursing Home Bill? | Fox Business

Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
The "death panels" term was coined by religious fundamentalists who believe nobody, especially YOU, has the right to take your own life except God.
No. The term was coined by Americans who don't believe in the state determining the citizens' level of care.

Or did you forget Obama saying some people just need to be told "take an aspirin".

IE what's going on in England right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement