Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM

253 posts, read 235,055 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere where senior inflation was higher than CPI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Are you 62 years or older? If so, you may want to get over to your nearest National Park or Monument and purchase the lifetime Senior Pass for $10, before August 28th. The price is rising to $80 August 28th. In order to get the $10 price you need to buy it in person; online it will cost you $20.

Just passing this on because a great deal is about to get more expensive, and it is a lifetime pass, good for you and up to 3 others in your car.
You also get to bring in several guest at no additional charge.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The good news is that this large price increase will help offset the considerable budget deficit and help with lots of badly needed, long-deferred maintenance in the parks, which are being loved to death by the public yet neglected by the government. Frustrating to see care for one of the best things our government ever did for us back-burnered, year after year, administration after administration.
Thank your luck stars if you get in and if they (NPs) stay open to the public.

Don't forget the "Held Hostage" political mandate that closed the NP Sites in Oct 2013
https://naturalresources.house.gov/oversight/shutdown/
https://www.nationalparks.org/connec...-you-need-know

Impact on parks due to government shutdown:

All 401 national parks all across the country will be closed affecting as many as 715,000 national park visitors each day the government remains shutdown. (As a result of donations from states to the National Park Service, a few national parks are temporarily re-opened. Click here for more information.)
More than 21,000 national park staff members will be furloughed meaning critical resource management, including important scientific monitoring to protect endangered species, will not happen.

We had several retired friends who drove 2000 miles + in their RVs for a once / lifetime Civil War / NPS trip during that shutdown. Not impressed with the closed gates and pompous politicians.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't think this will generate more than a drop in the bucket toward maintaining and fixing our park system.
Sadly, every drop helps tremendously. The park system seems to be under attack currently. It was very sad when they closed a few years ago when there was no budget. Locally, it had a good size economic impact. It didn't wipe out any businesses, but if it had gone on for months, some areas would have had major issues.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Truthfully, a lifetime pass to all National Parks for only $10 was obscenely cheap! I never expected the price would stay that low until I reached age 62.
This. My husband I are a little too young to take advantage of the bargain-basement $10 lifetime pass. We don't resent it, because upkeep of the parks needs more $$$, especially with Bigmouth sticking his short fingers in everything just to ruin them.

Having to pay $80 for a lifetime pass is dirt cheap. The rest of us pay $80 per year.

Ironically, the $10 lifetime passers include most of the uberrich driving million-dollar "motorhomes" (they can't bear to call them RVs), towing $60k SUVs behind them. The impact they cause on roads should be reflected in their passes, which is why I think the age-classified pass makes less sense than a vehicular-classified pass. Your rig weighs as much as a bus or a cement truck--you should pay more, regardless of age.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thank your luck stars if you get in and if they (NPs) stay open to the public.

Don't forget the "Held Hostage" political mandate that closed the NP Sites in Oct 2013
https://naturalresources.house.gov/oversight/shutdown/
https://www.nationalparks.org/connec...-you-need-know

Impact on parks due to government shutdown:

All 401 national parks all across the country will be closed affecting as many as 715,000 national park visitors each day the government remains shutdown. (As a result of donations from states to the National Park Service, a few national parks are temporarily re-opened. Click here for more information.)
More than 21,000 national park staff members will be furloughed meaning critical resource management, including important scientific monitoring to protect endangered species, will not happen.

We had several retired friends who drove 2000 miles + in their RVs for a once / lifetime Civil War / NPS trip during that shutdown. Not impressed with the closed gates and pompous politicians.
I was actually in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park when this happened. I deliberately drove into the park from adjacent Townsend, TN, that morning, intending to stick around until I was told to leave. I went to nearby Tremont, talked to the rangers at the station/ bookstore/education center - they told me I could stay until the Little River Road closed, and that the campgrounds were being emptied at Cade's Cove (at the end of the LRR) as we spoke. The rangers and other park employees were not at all happy about the closures and were very sympathetic with the visitors who were being forced out by the intransigence of Republican representatives.

By the time I drove back, barricades had been erected on the inbound lanes of the Little River Road, so that only exiting traffic could move, and a long line of cars and campers were being made to turn off and exit through Townsend. Must have been hard on those whose homes were not easily accessed from Townsend...they would have been forced to take a very round-about route home.

The trans-mountain road between Gatlinburg and Cherokee remained open, as it is a federal highway - but only emergency stops were allowed, and all other roads, picnic grounds, trails (except for the Appalachian Trail - too hard to get through-hikers off it, campgrounds, etc. were closed. I think I remember that the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway remained open due to a loophole of some kind, though the overlooks, picnic grounds, visitors centers, trails, and other attractions along the way were shut down (good luck shutting down an overlook!). The lease-owner of the Pisgah Inn (on the parkway near Asheville) put up a good fight, too, since the inn is not government operated and he was not a government employee.

Fortunately for me, this occurred at the end rather than at the beginning of my vacation, but it was unclear until the day before the closures exactly what would transpire. It was a very bad political move, as it angered people of all political persuasions, who (rightfully) viewed the national parks as theirs.

If such a move took place again, I am sure the public reaction would be the same, and Congress's phones would be ringing off the hook and their email-boxes filling up, while protestors would be demonstrating and occupying congressional home offices. So I doubt if anything so Draconian - and unpopular - is likely to happen again, unless things get even more conflicted that is presently the case.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
I got mine last year at Shenandoah National Park when I just turned 62. I was not aware that I could obtain a life time senior pass. The park ranger at the entrance reminded me. Really nice of her.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I, too, don't get the outrage. I'm missing the cutoff by a few months but will gladly pay if the occasion arises.

As others have noted the Smokies are free but I am not joking when I say I would pay $800/year to access them. That works out to $15/week for 2-6 hours of happiness and relaxation. I'm not advocating a fee as most people have more limited funds, but I fail to see the outrage at $80. I donate more than that annually to Friends of the Smokies.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Giving away a lifetime of National Park visits (for a whole carload of people of any age as long as the driver is 62 or older) for the price of a cheeseburger is a poor use of government resources. It's worth every penny of $80.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Since I usually do car travel trips with my ferret, and most of these national parks won't allow pets inside the park, I head for the state parks instead.

Last time I drove up to the Visitor's station at Mesa Verde, they wouldn't allow me to take my little ferret into the park so no more national parks for me until they change their policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement