Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
On another forum, somebody who lives in Colorado Spring said there's crime there, I travel frequently to this area for my last job, but I'm not sure how true that is. I did meet one person who opened a restaurant there and got robbed, left for dead in a fire, she somehow survived, but it was traumatic to her, she wouldn't open another restaurant again. But her family still lives there thought. So I would check out the crime situation before one makes a move.
Most of the crime here happens in the South East part of town. We joke that they should put the police station and the jail in that area.

There is very little crime in the North part of the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
y.
But as far as retirement goes MA is a decent place to be. Retirement (401k, IRA, Pensions, and SS) income are not taxed.

SS is not taxed, most pensions are taxed.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Massachusetts

I have decided on Philadelphia.

Last edited by Hannah5555; 07-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM

20 posts, read 17,357 times
To me it would depend where your money is coming from. For example, if you make money from investments (steady income) then you can live anywhere in the world, even on some island. Next to consider is cost of living and how far you are away from family.

Some people want to retire somewhere to escape where they once lived, others want to simple "settle down" in the same area but take things slow.

It all depends on you, bud. Best of luck.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuluptos View Post
People get this twisted ALL the time!

Just because ONE area of a state has a high crime rate or is low on jobs, or isn't in your favor doesn't mean the rest of the state is like that. You have to research into it, the entire state and region.
A state crime rate is about the most worthless statistic there is .

2nd would be .........average yearly temp of a northern state

Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 2,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
Anyone else have this problem? Retiring 1/2019, have to leave CA. Looking for mild seasons all around, but not freezing and not boiling. Near water for boating. 3/2 house with pool, less 250k house. Just a fun question, nothing more. How did you decide where to retire?
Where to retire is a question that keeps coming up to my mind these days. And in general, retirement planning.
I have recently found a survey link and answered some multiple choice type questions. It is a simple one, but at least it gives me some aspects about retirement that I have to consider.

https://www.surveymonkey.de/r/BG9RXZB

Old 07-23-2017, 01:17 PM

240 posts, read 267,879 times
Before I actually made the move, I spent time doing research on line. I needed to be sure that any area considered would have an affordable cost of living. During visits, I did go to places of interest; recreation, museums, etc. But I also checked out housing, shopping, medical care, transportation, and other things pertaining to actual living in the particular area.

Once I narrowed it down to one area, I tried to list the pros and cons of what were important reasons for either moving or staying. I made visits during different times of the year, especially during the summer when it is very hot and humid. Eventually, came back down and looked for an apartment during the summer. It was a good way to see if the summer heat was tolerable.

This area is not perfect but overall, it has been a much improved quality of life for me. Occasional visits up north are fine, but I actually get "homesick" for here while away! That is how I know this was the right decision.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:34 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
... But as far as retirement goes MA is a decent place to be. Retirement (401k, IRA, Pensions, and SS) income are not taxed. What makes it tough is the COL is higher here but there are a lot of services available. Property taxes are quite high and made higher by the high cost of houses. Still I think MA is reasonable by comparison to other states. I think MA ranks 24 or 25 in retirement tax burden.
I would not want to retire in any state where I had to pay income taxes, or that had a high COL. Thus we migrated to Northern New England.

Living in Maine we see a lot of tourists who come up here from Mass. It sounds terribly high COL / taxes / crime down there.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM

199 posts, read 184,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
But as far as retirement goes MA is a decent place to be. Retirement (401k, IRA, Pensions, and SS) income are not taxed.

SS is not taxed, most pensions are taxed.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Massachusetts

I have decided on Philadelphia.
Amounts withdrawn from a 401(k) plan are not taxed in Massachusetts?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
Amounts withdrawn from a 401(k) plan are not taxed in Massachusetts?
My 403b certainly is, as normal income.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I cant figure out where to retire, how did you?

I stuck a map of the USA on the garage wall, stood back 8 feet and threw a dart at it, where it landed in AZ was where I went. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement