Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 07:42 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

We had the same budget, but dh was a sales rep for the SE and a son lived in Savannah, so there you go. We live in Savannah.
Now, we are retired and rather happy with the area and proximity to the beach, but we'd sooner live closer to one of the children than be near the beach. Son now gives in NC, so if we move again it will be there. Family trumps weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 15,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
I agree, quality of life is my goal. I ask what place considering everything both the good and bad, gives me the best quality of life. For me the answer is Southern California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had the same budget, but dh was a sales rep for the SE and a son lived in Savannah, so there you go. We live in Savannah.
Now, we are retired and rather happy with the area and proximity to the beach, but we'd sooner live closer to one of the children than be near the beach. Son now gives in NC, so if we move again it will be there. Family trumps weather.
That brings up a very interesting point and age consideration. We have adult child and grandchild around Orlando and second adult child and grandchild around Chicago. As we age, we want to be around our children and a good support system. We can't afford to live in two different locations.

Does one retire and move away from family, children and support system?

Illinois is too high a cost of living and yes Centeal Florida is very hot and humid.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
Hurricanes or other natural disasters?
You should be able to learn that via Google in less than 10 minutes, at most.

I just learned about hurricanes there in less than 5 seconds. Search terms "research triangle hurricane".
(You won't like what you read.)

You can also Google "List of North Carolina hurricanes"

"carolina sinkhole"

https://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/weat...24-646x485.jpg

NC Areas prone to sinkholes with geologic basis
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...dd89.image.jpg

One of many sinkholes in South Carolina:
http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co..._k-700x464.jpg

And another:
https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc...x-1080-600.jpg

You get the idea. Just research the areas of interest to you.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I bought my retirement home when I was 48 years old, paid it off before retirement, and have no intention of going anywhere until failing health makes me move into assisted living. I always wonder at people who have to pick up and move when they retire. If you didn't want to live there, what were you thinking? You can make a living anywhere.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:58 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I bought my retirement home when I was 48 years old, paid it off before retirement, and have no intention of going anywhere until failing health makes me move into assisted living. I always wonder at people who have to pick up and move when they retire. If you didn't want to live there, what were you thinking? You can make a living anywhere.
Well, this is my first house and I bought it when I was 24; that's half your age when you bought your "retirement house". It was supposed to be "the starter home."

I don't want to downsize from this house. I want to live in a larger house at least somewhat resembling my idea of a "dream home" at least once.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWander View Post
That brings up a very interesting point and age consideration. We have adult child and grandchild around Orlando and second adult child and grandchild around Chicago. As we age, we want to be around our children and a good support system. We can't afford to live in two different locations.

Does one retire and move away from family, children and support system?

Illinois is too high a cost of living and yes Centeal Florida is very hot and humid.

Several points:

1) If you cannot afford to maintain two residents, you have to make a choice. But remember, there is no guarantee whether you decide to stay in Chicago or to move to Florida that your children will still live there after you retire. Jobs are very fluid. I have seen several older couples who at age 75 are on their third move chasing the children.

My 94 year old aunt thought she was pretty set with a support structure as her two daughters and five grandchildren lived in town. One daughter died and three of the grandchildren have moved 1000 miles away due to medical school or spouse's jobs. Where there were six people available to help out, there are now two.

2) What a lot of friends have done is to seriously DOWNSIZE at two locations and to maintain two residents. That means that you find an affordable location near Chicago and a small apartment in Florida. When he retired, he sold his main home in the Detroit suburbs but kept his cottage upstate. He bought a small place in Arizona and splits his time in both locations.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 AM

15 posts, read 15,989 times
Thanks , great points. But really to retire and am in sixties.

Totally agree that you can't chase your kids. Although, It is very nice to have help and support system.

Chicago folks will probably move one day but Florida will always be in central Florida. I wish we could financially afford two small full time residences. Two sets of rents, utility bills, two rents, two sets of medical care, two sets of various expenses and two vacant homes for long terms.

The central Fla. is so hot and humid around Orlando , housing is more expensive, insurance higher, traffic bad , weather concerns, and many reports are ratings crime and health care are issues in Florida. Fla. Has no state income tax but they make it up more in many other areas.

But... have have the cutest grandchildren!!!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was lucky. I didn't have a choice. My wife won't move.
I like your way of looking at this. Eternal optimism.
And you may well already be in one of the nicest places. Sounds like your wife has a good head on her shoulders. The grass actually isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. :-)

Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
^^^this^^ my property taxes are over 6k a year
Wow. Envious. Amazing how much it varies. Been a while since ours were on the lower end, probably $2800 in CO. In TX ours were 9K and here in northern NJ they are 12K. Having grown up in both northern and southern CA and lived/worked there and knowing all that CA has to offer, property taxes seems more than reasonable to us. All depends on your benchmark though and in contrast to where else you've lived, especially if you've not lived in very many states.

If it were me, I'd look into the Sierras for decent COL, quiet, lakes and beauty but incredible access when needed but it sounds like you just want to get out. My parents say now they should have done that from the start but they wanted to leave for retirement for the precise reasons you state. They went through three states before winding up back in CA, unhappy with each and feeling like they wasted some good years, time and a lot of money.

Good luck to you in wherever you land.

Last edited by Idlewile; 07-17-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWander View Post
... Does one retire and move away from family, children and support system?
When I was 18 I enlisted and moved away from my family. We get along okay with my family, but in the years that followed we were never stationed near my family.

When I retired we still had two children living with us. They soon came of age, and they went out to build their futures. Our children do not see any location as the 'family home', they were free to seek their own futures.

My Dw and I are glad to finally be rooted somewhere. We have no desire to chase our children around the world to follow their careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement