Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,528,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
Anyone else have this problem? Retiring 1/2019, have to leave CA. Looking for mild seasons all around, but not freezing and not boiling. Near water for boating. 3/2 house with pool, less 250k house. Just a fun question, nothing more. How did you decide where to retire?
I looked around quite a bit for retirement - and every place in the U.S. has drawbacks!

Including places near water, as you specify. (also, do you mean river, lake, ocean, bay?)

But also locations without water

Has anyone found a location in the U.S. that does not have drawbacks?

And I don't feel that it's just a fact of life that every place has inherent drawbacks because no place can be perfect. It's more the way that the U.S.and U.S. cities have developed in the realm of urban development. And also weather patterns in the U.S. make so many places in the U.S. have drawbacks.

It seems that places outside of the U.S. have many nice places to live - but tackling living outside the U.S. is something that feels somewhat monumental.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-14-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
I cant figure out where to retire, how did you?

Weighted spreadsheet...

Lots of TRIPS! / house sitting / visiting locals

Stayed put, and added 3 'other' locations... (all are investment props... "deductible" trips between them to maintain) Each have a 'spare' guest home for us. + shops / barns / tractors... toys. Each are in a desirable 'Destination' and near an EZ airport. Cheap 50 mpg car (~$100) at each location.

Will add international destinations / PT homes for access to healthcare.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,737,263 times
About 45-years ago, we decided that instead of waiting to retire to live where we wanted, we would move to Florida. We've been here ever since, including since we retired 9-years ago -- and can see no reason we would ever leave Florida.

About 5-years ago, we decided to move from Central Florida beachside (Satellite Beach) --closer to the grandkids in Destin, Fl. (Panhandle). Millions vacation here every year, but (within Florida), we still prefer Central Florida beachside (weather, traffic, lifestyle).

Old 07-14-2017, 02:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
I had a map of the country on my garage wall. I threw three darts and started from there.

Actually, I had a list of requirements and started from there. Warm, Second Amendment friendly, no motorcycle helmet law, relatively homogenous population and nearby military base. Arizona won out. But we still wound up moving back home due to family and summer heat. Kept the Arizona house as a winter getaway.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Quote:
I know its very hot but we are considering Lake Havasu, Florida just dropped off the list, as well as all the "top 10" list states, nothing against Alabama or Mississippi, or any of the other southern states that are always in these lists, or any midwest states. Must be very tax friendly also
I wanted to check out Florida, but wife said too many bugs and humidity is way too high.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:58 PM

8,171 posts, read 4,256,155 times
Why do you need to leave CA? The simplest thing would be to stay where you already live (unless you hate the place - unlikely if it is in CA), and downsize into smaller living quarters (if $ is the reason for leaving your present home). If you have to leave CA, the Lake Tahoe/Reno NV area probably matches your criteria of weather, water etc. (and it is not a long way to move from CA).

Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Anyone else have this problem? Retiring 1/2019, have to leave CA. Looking for mild seasons all around, but not freezing and not boiling. Near water for boating. 3/2 house with pool, less 250k house. Just a fun question, nothing more. How did you decide where to retire?
We can meet those criteria for you in North Carolina. From the mountains to the Piedmont to the shore, NC has moderate Winters and , for the South, not bad Summers.
Good idea to ditch CA, by the way.
We were living in Pennsylvania when the boss decided to move the company to the Triangle area. I had lived in Raleigh area in 3rd-5th grade, so I was open to the idea, the wife, not so much. In any event we made the move when I was a few years before retirement. SO we got financial help with a move I was thinking of making anyway.
Worked out fine for me.
Have the 4/2.5 house in your price range , neighbor has pool, beach or mountains a couple of hours away.
"What's not to love?"

Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,829,221 times
To the OP: You asked, "How did you decide where to retire?" I will answer that question, but I don't think it will be very helpful to you. When I was 22 years old, I decided to return to Los Angeles for graduate school at UCLA. During the next 40 years I had a wonderful time living in the Los Angeles area. Therefore when I was approaching retirement I did not give even a momentary thought to moving. I knew this was where I wanted to be. Now, 12 years after retirement, I can verify that "decision" was the absolutely correct one. There is only one major downside to being here - the crowding and the related traffic congestion. But so many other cities, both large and medium, have horrible congestion as well. I have personally experienced it over the last 12 years when traveling by car in St. Louis, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and Baton Rouge. So leaving Los Angeles does not equal getting out of the traffic congestion, unless one relocates to a small town or to a rural or semi-rural area. And I have no interest in living in a small town or in a rural or semi-rural area.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why do you need to leave CA? The simplest thing would be to stay where you already live (unless you hate the place - unlikely if it is in CA), and downsize into smaller living quarters (if $ is the reason for leaving your present home). If you have to leave CA, the Lake Tahoe/Reno NV area probably matches your criteria of weather, water etc. (and it is not a long way to move from CA).
We moved to the Sierras 15 years ago with the intention or retiring here. I retired a year and a half ago. This area is a retirement destination. It's in CA and the median home price is $270K. One does not have to leave the state to find affordable housing in a nice area. At my house the hottest is the low 90s.. Coldest I've seen was plus 12. Great hospital 9 miles away, if that matters

Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM

6,378 posts, read 4,750,429 times
When I retired 3 years ago I moved from California to Maui. Best decision I ever made! No more allergies and I love the lifestyle and people I encounter. When I moved, I put furniture and "stuff" in storage. A year ago I got rid of all of it. I don't miss any of the stuff I accumulated over a lifetime. It feels so good to be unencumbered. I've rented here, so far, and now have an oceanfront condo in escrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement