Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times

Advertisements

Are there any Precious Metals afficionados on board ?? I own some Numismatic Coins, PCGS Graded Walking Liberty Halves, and a PM Mutual Fund.....a small percentage of Net Worth.

I would like to have some Silver in my possession. Thinking about taking delivery of a bag of 90% Silver Coins (pre-1964) from one of the big sellers like APMEX. I'm not really looking to trade on a rise in the price of silver, just to have some in hand in case the feces hits the fan.

Anybody have a favored Seller with low premium over spot ?? Good experiences ?? BAD experiences ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:03 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I DO have silver and gold in the physical form.

I like to buy from:

Golden Eagle Coins: they carry coins and bar and kruggerands (sp?) And the like in bulk and individually. I started here buying a complete set of coins for my OH and mine birth year ( silver). Every year at Christmas I get us each a bar. They have silver and gold from all over the world in many grades. Sign up for email alerts, that'll tell you when they sell just over spot. Every thing I've bought from them is exactly what I expected.

Another coin dealer I like is David Khan Rare Coins. They sell the more odd coins as well. Want a coin from the time of Christ? They may have a sheckle or two. How about a an Ancient Roman coin? Here.
Again sign up for the email alerts for deals.

The USA mint is another site to sign up for. They will alert you to special mints...just pay attention as some as only silver or gold CLAD and not solid silver and gold.

Best of luck adding to your collections!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't think I want to get into the Rare Coins......very difficult to judge their value and my estimate may be different from everybody else's. I have some Gold Eagles in MS state, but in the plastic cases....and not the same as holding that piece in your hand.
I was collecting from the US Mint for a while -- the Mint Sets and Proof Sets each year. But they went nowhere in value and did not track the PM prices at all.

The older circulated US Mint coins are appealing to me, you can touch those coins without worrying about the condition rating. I'm thinking that the re-sale would be easier than the "Sunshine" Halves or some other Private Mint. And I'm not ruling out the possibility that in an emergency, those coins buy us passage on the last boat to the Caribbean HA !!

Do you keep all of your collection in a safe deposit box ?? I have a safe at home that would suffice.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Thanks for the quick response.
I don't think I want to get into the Rare Coins......very difficult to judge their value and my estimate may be different from everybody else's. I have some Gold Eagles in MS state, but in the plastic cases....and not the same as holding that piece in your hand.
I was collecting from the US Mint for a while -- the Mint Sets and Proof Sets each year. But they went nowhere in value and did not track the PM prices at all.

The older circulated US Mint coins are appealing to me, you can touch those coins without worrying about the condition rating. I'm thinking that the re-sale would be easier than the "Sunshine" Halves or some other Private Mint. And I'm not ruling out the possibility that in an emergency, those coins buy us passage on the last boat to the Caribbean HA !!

Do you keep all of your collection in a safe deposit box ?? I have a safe at home that would suffice.
Both. The more valuable it is, the tighter the security.

I think that besides fine art, coins will hold and hopefully grow in value. If nothing else, they have melt down value.

Kids today don't want to collect anything it seems, but coins should remain a collectible, especially if the crap hits the fan.

That along with alcohol ( used as anesthetic) are two things all preppers consider of value then.

And it's fun to collect coins. It's also nice to say I have kruggerands!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
I started collecting silver coins in 1967 soon after the '65 switch to the clad standard. I have a bunch of silver - both coins I've taken out of circulation (back in the day) as well as purchased numismatics over the years.

After the Wall Street run up of coin values during the '80s, I've been holding, waiting for values to appreciate again.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 AM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
APMEX is fine. You said you wanted to have something for a worst case scenario? That's reasonable. Might as well get dimes.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Dimes would be a little hard to carry around (if it ever should come to that !!).

Any other vendors besides APMEX ?? Free shipping ?? Insurance ??
Can I get a Fair buy-back from APMEX (should it come to that ).

Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Sorry - I only collect silver in the form of vintage sterling cigarette cases...mostly art nouveau. More beautiful than coins but a lot bulkier!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
I always worried that if I had rare coins around, I would mistakenly grab them for regular change when I tip the pizza delivery person.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Try going to one of your local pawn shops. We have one in town that sells at either spot or a bit over spot and buys at either spot or a bit under spot. I think the differences depend on how many ounces are being sold.

They mostly have those ounce bars wrapped in plastic.

I'd bought a pile of them a few decades ago and just lately traded them at current spot price for a big solar system on the roof. The solar system is much more useful than a stack of metal. I shoulda traded them when silver went nuts awhile back, but they did well enough being swapped for the PV system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement