Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I understand your reasoning completely! Many don't realize, as we get older, we need a push to get to the Airport, even though we don't even want to go, but, as I've found out, once I've landed at my destination, explored, ventured about, I thank God I pushed myself to do it. If nothing else, traveling can turn your level of consciousness around 360 degrees, and it doesn't matter if that trip was one day or one week.

Towards the end of my 12 trips to Central/South America I had to push myself to do the last 2 trips, and, as always, afterwards, I was so glad I pushed myself.
I go through this when planning to go to dinner or a show. Takes a mental slap up side the head to get me going, but every time I'm glad I did. When I was young I couldn't sit still for wanting to go somewhere.

I think I'm becoming an old fart... "Get off my lawn!" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:23 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Now that we are resettled, my wife mentioned the other day that she would like to go back to Alaska. We went in 2001 in a cruise that had around 50 passengers; very informal and a lot of fun. Some other family members have expressed an interest so we'll see how that works out. Looking into chartering a boat instead of going on a cruise line. Splitting up the cost between six people makes the cost reasonable and it certainly would be a different kind of experience.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
What I find surprising is how many people want to travel all over the world but won't go as far as the next town to see what's of interest so close to home. If you take the time to look, you'll be amazed!

Case in point, from the town on the other side of the mountain, ... http://judacullarock.com/

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I have an old card from a number of years ago. Will it work in 2017?
Once issued, the pass is supposed to be valid for the rest of your life.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:28 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
What I find surprising is how many people want to travel all over the world but won't go as far as the next town to see what's of interest so close to home. If you take the time to look, you'll be amazed!

Case in point, from the town on the other side of the mountain, ... JUDACULLAROCK.COM
Not exactly the next town over for us, but we have been to Judaculla Rock. We actually own some land near there in Cullowhee. Had planned on retiring there until we wound up in Tennessee due to the cost to build there and NC taxes.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
28, when I was assigned to work in Palawan. I thought, "nothing could be better than this."

Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
We are 77 and 73 and don't plan on giving up traveling until we can't do it anymore. Our only travel is to England because that's where I love to be, it's where dh comes from, and we have three grandchildren there. We both have NHS in case of emergency and there is always dh's son to call if anything goes wrong. We rent a car and drive around for 2-3 crazy weeks, seeing and doing whatever we want.

Unfortunately, our next trip may be an out of state move--not much fun.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I'm getting ready to turn 70 and have a couple of big international trips planned for the next few months.....long plane trips and strenuous activities. I'm trying to get as much of that in while I still have my health. Who knows how long that will last? I'll save the easy trips (train trips, US destinations, resorts) for when I'm more unsteady on my pins.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We are 77 and 73 and don't plan on giving up traveling until we can't do it anymore. Our only travel is to England because that's where I love to be, it's where dh comes from, and we have three grandchildren there. We both have NHS in case of emergency and there is always dh's son to call if anything goes wrong. We rent a car and drive around for 2-3 crazy weeks, seeing and doing whatever we want.

Unfortunately, our next trip may be an out of state move--not much fun.
That sounds great. We plan on England and the isles next year, but no way would I get in a car when dh doesnt know where he's going. It's bad enough when he does. I'll have a tour bus and alcohol, s'il vous plait.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Now that we are resettled, my wife mentioned the other day that she would like to go back to Alaska. We went in 2001 in a cruise that had around 50 passengers; very informal and a lot of fun. Some other family members have expressed an interest so we'll see how that works out. Looking into chartering a boat instead of going on a cruise line. Splitting up the cost between six people makes the cost reasonable and it certainly would be a different kind of experience.
Search for relocating trawlers at beginning / end of season

A fisherman friend has a very posh trawler that he brings back to WA during the winters. He has 'PODS' / cabins that mount to the deck for passengers inbound and outbound, and they remove during fishing season. Another friend is bringing his 78' sailboat back to WA from AK.

I think you can find some interesting options, It is very common.

While we lived in Canadian Gulf Islands, many Brits brought their 'live-aboards' / Motor-sailors south for the winter. They were HUGE, plenty of room for guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement