Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,400,426 times

Advertisements

Working in front of the ovens at a pizza shell factory. Lasted all of two weeks.

Four hours catching the unbaked pies off the rollers and throwing them in the blazing hot ovens. Four more hours on the other side getting them out of the blazing hot ovens. All this in the middle of what was, at the time, the hottest two weeks of summer I'd experienced. The tenth day of work I passed out and came to a short time later. The only time in my entire life I've ever passed out. That was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 AM

417 posts, read 441,057 times
It was January, late 80's. I was 18, an agency sent me to the Chevron refinery in Philly. My job? To walk around the refinery with 80 pound bags of salt, covering the ice on the roads. The wind was howling of the river, temperature in the teens, frostbite felt like it was settling in after a couple of hours. I didn't last a week there.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 AM

243 posts, read 711,786 times
The three days I spent washing dishes at a popular local restaurant in the late 1970s. If someone had handed me a Communist party membership application, I would have signed it.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 AM

744 posts, read 475,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Wait: you worked 35 years in private sector, 30 years in another job, and then 4 years with the government. You mean you worked 69 years before you retired? Wowza!
LOL. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:07 PM

99,093 posts, read 4,468,105 times
Working in a textile mill as a teenager during the summer doing odd jobs. Loud, dusty and depressing.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,489,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Minimum wage in 1966 was $1.25 or $1.30. No way was a steno pool employee getting $8 an hour in 1966. In 1966, I was making the magnificent sum (to me, at least)of $2.10 an hour working in a file room at a large health insurance company, taking a semester off from college to earn money for a summer of backpacking around Europe.

I worked for the government in 1971 as a clerk/stenographer for the fabulous wage of $2.50/hr., huge jump from my previous secretarial job, $2.25/hr. This was in Los Angeles, CA, & California minimum wage was at that time $1.65/hr., so, no, a steno did not make $8/hr. in '66.

As I said before, thank god I got my butt into college...sitting in a room as a teenager, typing & transcribing shorthand for 8 hours a day while sitting by a window overlooking the Veterans' Cemetery, & seeing guys my age who died in Vietnam being buried there on a daily basis was insanity-provoking.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,849,231 times
WOrked a month as a gandydancer, which means i worked with a crew of men to replace RR ties.<9

Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM

314 posts, read 237,292 times
Default ...best work advice ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
For my first somewhat real job in the working world, I was hired to paint a guy's house. I was seventeen. When I arrived, he said: "Before you get started on the outside, I have another job for you." He led me down to the basement, which smelled evil. "Unfortunately, my dog was mostly stuck down here all winter." I could see the many small sausagelike shapes giving evidence of his words. "This needs to be cleaned up." I must have looked dumfounded, because he just handed me a mop. "There's a bucket and some Lysol over there. I suggest you make the best of a s***ty situation."

That was his exact finishing sentence. And with it, and with the deception, I learned the single most important lesson I would learn about the working world and employers. There were others, of course, but this was the most important one. As my life went on, I learned that employers were my fundamental adversaries, and that they would all deceive and take advantage of me. Some kindlier, some gentler, some rougher, some more apathetic, but not a one would ever feel bound to tell me the truth and nothing but. Those that treated me decently, I gave good value. Those who screwed me, I sabotaged with every power I could get away with. But none of them can be trusted, none are your friends, and the younger every employee realizes this, the better.

'wish someone had told me this a long time ago.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 PM

5,837 posts, read 5,231,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
WOrked a month as a gandydancer, which means i worked with a crew of men to replace RR ties.<9
I learned what gandydancing is by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

Cat

Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM

35 posts, read 30,618 times
The one I have now. Retail. (no offense). It is the worse.

My first job, as a teenager, was preparing an area to become a camping park (clearing away brush, cutting out paths, making trails etc.), that was fun. My other first "summer job", was erasing school books and preparing them for the next year. That too was fun.

All desk jobs since then, but this here... is hands down the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement