Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times

Advertisements

Worst job ever was in 2004-2005 working for one of the Big 3 tobacco companies. Hated the work and literally hoped someone would crash into my company car, just to get out of the job for a while. But, common sense prevailed and I focused on getting into a different career, which I did (and haven't looked back).

Prior to that, was a stint during my phone company career when I managed a retail location in a mall environment. That was the epitome of misery. The staff needed to be babysat (they were mostly union!) and the store was a habitual low performer when I got there. The zone manager wanted me to clean house and turnover the staff, so the pressure was on to balance his wishes vs. the union.

I did my best to turn the staff around into productive workers and we even picked up the results, but it wasn't worth all the headaches. The icing on the cake is when the skeleton crew called out sick on July 4th. I had to cancel my family plans to open the store by myself for the entire day. Those last minute BS games really got old.

Other than those two positions, I've had a great career so far. (But I can't wait to retire in a "few" years...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 06:58 PM

215 posts, read 312,069 times
My worst job? The one I held before I retired.

It was in education, high school special education. It wasn't the kids - I worked with mostly those on the autistic spectrum, including Asperger's - it was the other teachers. Because I was a junior member of the staff, they thought they could embarrass me in front of the kids by correcting me, calling me out and then, I finally had it. I started to speak up when they were abusive to the kids. In one instance, a teacher I worked with wouldn't let a student out of the classroom, blocked the door and he literally started to climb the walls and tried to get out the window. He was supposed to meet his mother and the teacher wouldn't let him go until she said so. When she picked on other kids, I called her on it. It was so stressful with her abuse and the pressure of the job, I wound up in the hospital with coronary artery disease.

If anyone has children or grandchildren in special education, trust your instincts and listen to your kids. And, never, ever, feel it's all your fault somehow and not let them live normal lives with the same expectations as other kids. They are here to remind us that contributions to this old world come in all shapes and sizes.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I worked retail for a year... I would say that was the worst if I hadn't worked in a low end call center too. I'd rather pick up trash than work in one of those again.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
worked at a golf course for one day....worst job ever

Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
Pulling Beef Hides out of Salt Brine.

Worked Unloading and Loading 100 pound Bags of Feed.

I worked as a Variety Bread Dough Mixer until I retired. Worked 24/7, no vacations or weekends. But I get a Good Pension because it was a Union Job.

brushrunner

Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 PM

385 posts, read 205,395 times
Working as a Human Services Assistant.

Received no training and had this other assistant that kept sabotaging me.

She was called out on it by someone higher up, but she just became better about doing it when that person was not around.

The pay was lousy and had no benefits, other than nights and weekends off.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My first job after graduating HS in 1966. Pool Stenographer. Did nothing but take dictation and transcribe all day. My fingers were numb by the end of the day. Only thing that kept me there for 2 years was the money was good ($8/hour). What was the minimum wage in 1966?
That's about $16,000. per year, in gross pay. That was executive wages in 1966. Money was worth about five times as much then, as now. For an entry-level job as a HS graduate, that was very good.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Produce clerk in a major grocery chain. First day there they had a prep cleaning of the department for an upcoming corporate inspection.
I was on my knees on a concrete floor for 8 hours cleaning underneath vegetable bins and stocking the floor alone with no training and no clue.
I was 60 and was hoping for a part-time ''retirement job''. The next morning I called into HR and told them I was done. I could barely get out of bed my knees hurt so bad.
And then there were those 50 lb boxes of bananas...

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 07-23-2017 at 01:20 AM..

Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My first job after graduating HS in 1966. Pool Stenographer. Did nothing but take dictation and transcribe all day. My fingers were numb by the end of the day. Only thing that kept me there for 2 years was the money was good ($8/hour). What was the minimum wage in 1966?

No way in hell were you getting paid $8 /hour in 1966 !

In 1965 I was working union construction in Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Union scale was $3.65 and that was a very high wage.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:52 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's about $16,000. per year, in gross pay. That was executive wages in 1966. Money was worth about five times as much then, as now. For an entry-level job as a HS graduate, that was very good.
Actually, the conversion factor is about 7.2 rather than five. Minimum wage in 1966 was $1.25 per hour, which is equivalent to $9.12 per hour now. So $8 an hour would be equivalent to $57.60 in today's income - or . The real value of minimum wage has been declining since the late 1960s (see top line here).

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney

Which means $8.00 per hour in 1966 was equivalent to about $120,000 income in today's dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement