U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 1,558,977 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I wil be spending three months in Arizona this winter and am wondering how folks handle the mail forwarding. Particularly I'm interested in knowing if mail such as W-2s and related mail is forwarded. I will not return to the North until April so will need to have all related tax documents and such forwarded as I want to work on my tax filing and have it done before I return in April. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
mail forwarding service by USPS at usps.com

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

This mail forwarding service by USPS can be set up online at link above.

from the website: "If your move is temporary, you can use this service for as short as 15 days or as long as 1 year. After the first 6 months, you can extend for another 6 months."

Last edited by matisse12; 07-24-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM

4,760 posts, read 3,188,746 times
We go to the Post Office and fill out a mail forward card. We usually stop the mail forward about a week or so before we plan to come home in case of stragglers.

We have to put in a change of address at our bank because they won't forward statements. We inform them that the change of address would be for the one or two months ONLY! We still have to call them when we get home. As for the tax related stuff, I think they are all forwarded.

Cat

Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,558,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We go to the Post Office and fill out a mail forward card. We usually stop the mail forward about a week or so before we plan to come home in case of stragglers.

We have to put in a change of address at our bank because they won't forward statements. We inform them that the change of address would be for the one or two months ONLY! We still have to call them when we get home. As for the tax related stuff, I think they are all forwarded.

Cat
Thanks. But I'm really concerned about are the tax related documents from brokerages, W-2s, 1099's etc.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Your tax docs will be forwarded to you but we found that most of our tax documentation could be obtained on line.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,182,310 times
[b]I was told by the Post Office that they do not forward any mail from the Federal Government....I found that out the hard way 6 or so years back when I never received my "stimulus check"...It went back to sender......Maybe it was just govt. $$$ checks they do not forward. Perhaps now the policy has changed.....Check with the post office...

Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Your tax docs will be forwarded to you but we found that most of our tax documentation could be obtained on line.
Yes, verify you have the on-line access you need. It is faster and more accessible than the mail stuff. (And you can download into your tax software.) = no mistakes!

We travel all the time, and when international for a yr, filed an 'automatic extension' on Jan 1.
Solved a lot of headaches and is now good until Oct 15!!! (used to be August)
(pay any estimated due by 15 April)
https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/can...extension-2013

We now use a local mail forwarding service, but previously used friends and neighbors.

House sitters work well too! (or in our current case, we rent out a separate living space in our home, so someone is around to handle Maint, bills, repairs, and feed the pets once in a while) rural mini farm, so the pets can fend for themselves and are very happy to be watching the place for us while we are gone too!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,573 times
If you are going to be snow birds on a regular basis, you can rent a private mailbox at one of the private mail box stores. Change your home mail address to that address so that all of your mail will go there always. Then when you get to your other location you rent another private mail box at a private mail box store and have the first store forward the mail to the second store. When you return home, you reverse the process.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
We used the post office to forward from both ends, but you can do it online too, with no need to go into the PO.

It takes 7 days to take effect. We ended up taking our mailbox off our house in NY because the substitute
mail carriers would forget and fill it with junk flyers. Of course after that, we had to tape up the mail slot in our storm door because they were stuffing the junk mail in there.

Turn around time for forwarded mail was 7-10 days for us. We do online banking and bill pay, so there wasn't too much to really forward.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM

6,218 posts, read 4,718,283 times
My first year of retirement I filed my return with Zion NP holding my cellphone in the air for the best signal. I was able to get every piece of documentation needed on line. I avoid snail mail whenever possible.

Unless you have friends or neighbors who will pick up your mail, it seems you must depend on the mail forwarding from the USPS. Good luck. Unless things have changed, they have a manual, hit or miss system. Long after I arranged for mail forwarding, the post office continued to deliver mail to my old address. A phone call and a couple of trips to the post office seemed to help but not fix the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or