U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed on these boards is that people often look back to prior years with regret, looking back at the mistakes they made or the opportunities they think they missed. As time moves forward, it's easy to look back at the regrets, but we often ignore the things we feel we got right.

What is a big decision you think you nailed and would do over again? For me, one of the biggest things I got right was not having children. I've never had any desire to be a father, and I'm glad it's worked out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times
Remaining in the Army when I seriously considered leaving at 8-10 yr mark. Staying in allowed me to earn a Masters' Degree, get promoted to a rank I didn't think I'd ever get to, earn a lifelong pension w/ healthcare, and retire early in life.

But staying in required me to move every 2-3 yrs, not make lasting social connections/live a vagabond life, go to combat zones where anything can/does happen.

Who knows where the road not taken leads you - perhaps something better? or something worse?

Last edited by BucFan; 07-25-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times
1. I moved to Boston after I got my degree here for a high tech job. Unemployment rate was nearly 10% in SoCal. Both of my brothers graduated the same time and were underemployed for a long time.

2. Left a defense company at the peak and worked for a startup with much higher salary, I've already made high salary before, but this job allows me to buy a home in my area without long commute. I met my husband and the rest is history.

3. My husband and I moved to the Bay Area for more job opportunities. We were able to buy a house there at recession price.

Basically I like to move around for job opportunities. Not afraid of moving.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,767,371 times
I was working at an oil/gas company back in the early 1990s. The manager of our department was a lying imbecile who was hired and managed to keep his job only because he was a protected minority.

I was able to take it for less than a year before telling my direct supervisor that we were all working for an idiot and that I would be giving my notice the next day. I had already accepted another job and had cleaned out my desk the next day, when my supervisor brought me some delicious homemade spinach/feta cheese pastries.

My heart was so touched that I decided not to leave the company that day. The idiot manager was laid off a few months later and I went on to retire, after 20 years, from that company -- with multiple promotions, stock options, a pension and a 401k package.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,313,958 times
Marrying the right person for me. Paying off our second home early. Staying in our home for 32 years instead of buying a Mc mansion. Waiting until my mid thirties to have my son. Helping him get through his education without debt. Retiring in Asheville.

Of all of these- marrying my husband was the wisest.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,598 posts, read 39,974,527 times
I feel it is the BIG decisions we DON'T make (in and of ourselves) that cause the most growth and pleasure (?).

such as:
  • Starting 32 yrs of eldercare on my 18th Birthday (That changed my life +/-)
  • Having kids, SURPRISE! (weren't deemed capable to bear) then... SURPRISE!! (this taught me more than I can ever imagine, patience and SHARING (time / money / plans / life changes - beyond belief)
  • Being forced to move 1400 miles from family @8.5 months pregnant, then 11000 miles from ANYTHING familiar... (complete with toddlers).
  • RTW trip for a yr
  • Taking the time (5+ yrs) to help elderly neighbors in need.
  • The list is VERY long... choices I didn't (or couldn't / wouldn't) make, that changed my life for the good

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,855 times
For us, it was sitting down at the end of 2008, taking a deep breath, and deciding how we we were going to proceed with our retirement plans. Figured that while it seemed like the end of the world, it most likely wasn't. We wound up moving most of our bond money to stocks. Then we really tightened our belts and started making the maximum contributions to our 401ks and Roth IRAs. Made for some interesting times, but it got us to where we are now; three years into retirement and doing OK.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,574,521 times
After 27 yrs working as a flooring subcontractor, I found myself having to look for a new line of work when the bottom fell out of the housing market in 2007. I found a position working for a local company with an hourly rate. After calling the shots for most my working life, I found it difficult to work for someone else. Three months into the job I stumbled upon someone looking to start a commercial cleaning business. I took the chance to help start a business in the worst part of the great recession. Having no experience doing this type of business, I bought out my partner 6 months later. Like most things in my life, I taught myself how to do something through trail and error. We just celebrated our 10yr anniversary. I brought my son on early and added my wife and daughter as the years went on. We call it the family business and mostly enjoy the opportunity to work together. No regrets, I would make the same decision a 100 times over.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM

1,189 posts, read 664,268 times
1. Most important - Marrying my husband who I thought would be a great life partner and father (I was right)

2. Getting my Master's degree and working a decade before kids, helping to establish a secure economic future

3. Staying home with my kids until the last was 12 - happiest years of my life

4. Deciding to go back to my career later in life for professional fulfillment and to save more for retirement

5. Choosing the right homes in best locations during job transfers - had our forever home in a desirable area at age 30 with low mortgage due to former housing gains.

6. Kids through college debt free and happy relationship with all

7. Saving and investing money wisely and not squandering a large inheritance

8. Traveling all throughout the years and not waiting for retirement

We had a lot of luck in job offers and locations. I think it was easier to advance starting out years ago in many areas of life, especially with appropriate education.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,243,650 times
Mine is the same as OP -- the decision to not have kids and no I do not regret my choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or