U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,753,926 times

Advertisements

I know in Chicago there are a few different Greek-American and Italian-American clubs where the guys meet up. They may eat, play cards, have a few drinks and socialize in general. I can't say for sure because I've never been inside any of them.

"In fact, this sliver of Grandówith its private men's clubs..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Italy,_Chicago

I think there may also be some type of meet-ups for the women as well, but more along philanthropic and religious venues. They may socialize as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
This club sounds great to me. I don't like sitting around drinking coffee and gossiping, but I could get into such a "club" for women or both men and women. It's a great way to interact and help keep the neighborhood up! What a great idea.

I imagine aerating a lawn would be rare, so if they meet once a week, what other activities do they do?

In my area, there are a few men's groups that meet daily at the local McDonalds. I would say that of the 25 guys who regularly show up, you'll find 15-20 any given day. They talk on a lot of subjects.

If a group of women get together for social reasons, that is pretty normal. However, when guys do it, all of a sudden, there is a lot of pressure from their wives to come along. When that happens, all the guy talk stops and everyone has to be careful what they say. It completely changes the group.

Why can't guys have their own get together?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM

662 posts, read 477,547 times
Who said they couldn't? I surely didn't. I said I'd want to be in a club for women OR men and women who DID things to help each other out: Painting. Mending fences. Gutter repairs. Tree Trimming. That sort of thing. No coffee gossip for me. The guys on the block want to get together to do heavy yard work for each other because they're not young enough for them and their wives to handle it anymore; well, that's fine by me. I wouldn't elbow my way in.

Can't imagine where you got that from.

Of course, private club membership in say, a golf club, is a whole other story, revolving around non-retired people and their ability to impress/schmooze with potential clients for business advancement (and therefore, the chance to secure a good retirement).

'Nuther story entirely. And therefore, another thread.

But we digress, because you misinterpreted my post.

OP: I'd still like to know what else they do to help each other on a weekly basis.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 PM

996 posts, read 862,740 times
There's no regular schedule, but my husband frequently has lunch with a bunch of guys who all retired from the same company around the same time. They call themselves the "ROMEOs." Retired Old Men Eating Out.

Every once in a while, we have a lunch or dinner when the ROMEOs include the Juliets (the wives and SOs). And sometimes the Juliets just get together on our own.

I love the idea that sometimes the men do "handyman" stuff for one another. I'm going to mention that idea to my husband. I'm sure we all could use it!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:37 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I'm in a golf league with a large number of retirees from the same company. These guys make me envious of those who are retired!
I am in a league like that too. In fact today is our tee time. Since I am retired I am not jealous of them but I have made many of my friends jealous of me.

Oh and I thought based on the title we were going to talk about "Gentlemen's Clubs" as well. Such a disappointment that the groups were just doing lawn maintenance.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:08 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,661,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
......I imagine aerating a lawn would be rare, so if they meet once a week, what other activities do they do?
Not sure as I am not a 'member' (yet) but power-washing decks, and the types of items you mentioned in a subsequent post are all things they may tackle as a group. Probably anything the individuals could do by themselves when 30-40 years younger but can no longer can handle solo would be on their list.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:12 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,661,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We have several chapters of SIR, Sons In Retirement. Meet once a month and do activities like golf, hiking, cards or RV stuff outside of the meeting.
I have never heard of this group. When reading your post the fist image in my mind was from Sons Of Anarchy.

Sons In Retirement - Men enjoying active retirement

Turns out the organization is very large in Mid and Northern California. Maybe one of my first post-retirement activities will be starting a local chapter here in Michigan!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:58 AM

33,882 posts, read 42,105,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Not sure as I am not a 'member' (yet) but power-washing decks, and the types of items you mentioned in a subsequent post are all things they may tackle as a group. Probably anything the individuals could do by themselves when 30-40 years younger but can no longer can handle solo would be on their list.
So we're talking guys who are in like their 80s? I can still do all those things at 63, if I want to, as can my brother who is almost 80.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:15 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,196,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So we're talking guys who are in like their 80s? I can still do all those things at 63, if I want to, as can my brother who is almost 80.
You being so enviably virile and buff and youthful with super duper stamina is not the point.

The guys are buddies and like doing stuff together. Funny how you zero'd in on the very limited examples posted and your extraordinary abilities and ignored the larger point.

Do you hate HOAs too?

Does it occur to you that they all band together and do ALL the properties in one day or weekend as a group thereby avoiding the aggravation of each one having to do all his own crap by himself or own or rent power equipment or paint/stain, or aeration equipment or whatever and actually have fun doing it? Maybe some of them hate doing it alone or maybe some are crappy at it or used to pay people in the past. Maybe some are injured veterans or have other medical issues. Maybe they live in a hot state where the heat index is 100 degrees for most of the mid day. Maybe the guys who like ladders clean the gutters while the guys who hate/can't do ladders pick up the slack in other areas. Perhaps having a barbecue or pool party or whatever when they're finished is the payoff. Maybe the younger ones ACTUALLY do most of the physical work, but the older guys still participate, so what? My guess is the younger ones don't tell the older ones that they should still be able to do it alone. Just a hunch.

Do you have friends? Weird criticism.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-27-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 AM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
^^^^^^^ Excellent post.

I thought similar thoughts about this. Thank you for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or