U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The thread switched from a bunch of guys doing leisure activities to one where they can't do stuff anymore so I ask a question about what ages are being discussed. I'm then attacked and become the bad guy for asking about the ages.

The reality is that, barring medical issues, there shouldn't be many things a 60 something year old "can't do" (which became the premise) that he did 30 or 40 years ago.

A question. Do you always only ever read just one sentence and then respond or does it just seem that way?
We get you.

Post #2:

Quote:
I thought you were talking about strip joints for retirees from the title.

What you're talking about is no different than what happens in many places, the old guys get coffee at the gas station, or wherever, and shoot the breeze for awhile. Happens a lot in small town/rural areas where the guys grew up together.

The local Senior Center has a Red Hat club for women and Blue Hat one for men. They were originally organized to separate those who thought they were extra special from others who weren't. They will sort of march as a group in the Easter and Christmas parades.
The thread [immediately] went from a fun and cute neighborhood story and good ideas to people being condescending and making assumptions about groups of total strangers who just happen to be friends doing neighborhood home maintenance together REGARDLESS of the reasons.

Like there's something wrong with THEM.

Quote:
I understand the WW II generation being "joiners", I'm somewhat surprised at Boomers being so.
And the OP said " Probably anything the individuals could do by themselves when 30-40 years younger but can no longer can handle solo would be on their list."

PROBABLY INCLUDED. Doesn't mean exclusively.

Perhaps some guys LOVE sweating in the 100 degree heat doing landscaping/mulching/feeding and others LOVE cleaning the pools.

Do I have to KEEP giving you examples of how the criticisms weren't well thought out?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-27-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
Metamucil not working today? Prunes may work better for you.

Actually I was asking the age of the people because of the "things they can't do anymore" statement. It wasn't a criticism, but obviously you're touchy about something. Not Liver and Onions Day at the Senior Center?

Friends? Why, yes. That's a strange question.

Where I live most people don't do those types of chores themselves in any event. They hire an old Black guy or a Hispanic of any age. That way they can drop the phrase "My yard boy says that __________" into conversation. Those people, however, are not ones I classify as "friends".
The "things they can't do anymore" was an ADD ON not the basic premise of the OP. And the OP said "probably on the list".

But you had to criticize and snark against the cute old guy total strangers and turn the OP thread into another direction.

That's my beef.

Actually, in part, I'm a dog walker/pet sitter and work 24/7 365. I make a fortune in those "Senior Centers" from wealthy clients who may or may not be able to care for their own pets or who travel frequently.

(intentional not humble bragging)

But with each of your posts, I'm understanding you better.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:01 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,929,003 times
Quote:
The thread switched from a bunch of guys doing leisure activities to one where they can't do stuff anymore so I ask a question about what ages are being discussed. I'm then attacked and become the bad guy for asking about the ages.

The reality is that, barring medical issues, there shouldn't be many things a 60 something year old "can't do" (which became the premise) that he did 30 or 40 years ago.

A question. Do you always only ever read just one sentence and then respond or does it just seem that way?
I thought it was more about renting some equipment like a power washer, lawn aerator, whatever, and then getting together to get the money's worth out of the day's rental. Also the motivation that comes with "well, today is the day we are going to aerate our lawns, so, no, not gonna sleep in, got to get with it.

Although there is nothing wrong with having a "Yard Man", to me anyway, I prefer to DIY. I just don't get any pleasure out of a good job done for me, it has to be a good job done by me. Which may explain why I have stayed out of management, but that's a different topic.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,655,140 times
I used to belong to Red Hats groups in 2 different areas I lived, as a way to get to know my neighbors and make new friends.

In one group, I made lasting friends. In the other, I didn't find many women with similar interests to mine. The purpose and membership of each group is wildly different.

I may join another one when I move.

Your old guys have a good thing going!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,666,532 times
Quote:
So we're talking guys who are in like their 80s? I can still do all those things at 63, if I want to, as can my brother who is almost 80.
At age 61 I can do all those things too. What I can't do by myself anymore is lift a lawn aerator, or a plate compactor (used for setting paving stones) out of a mini-van without assistance. I can still use the equipment with ease, just not load/unload the equipment by myself as I did when younger. And some guys never learned how to do this stuff (see post #28 above regarding young mechanical engineers w/o any mechanical skills, I know some engineers like that in their late 50's!)

I am also less comfortable moving an extended extension ladder along the side of our house by myself than I was a few decades ago.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:09 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
This basically describes my local Hardee's breakfast crowd.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 PM

132 posts, read 91,433 times
I am able to get together with some of my retired friends occasionally and we laugh and cut up and act like we all probably did at 12-13 years old... A phase no decent lady wishes to witness. It is so much fun to be with these guys I loved and admired at work without the stress of the job going with it. We sound like a bunch of silly boys together. I come from a fair sized family and so it is like an extension of my brothers. I miss them almost immediately when we part ways.

I don't remember anyone bringing up the subject of teaming up for work days. For most of them, the harness is behind us and so we catch up on each other and the rest of the crew and tell funny stories about each other. It's fun and a nice release to be with other men who went through what I did. Not war stuff but difficult, stressful work. We mostly managed to keep negative personal feelings out of our work assignments and it has paid off in later years with a great casual friendship of a fantastic bunch of guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or