U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Looking at my GasBuddy ap I could see a gasoline prices within 3 miles of home from $1.99 to $2.39 per gallon so off we went to fill up the suburban and my wife's car.

Perfect timing... we purchased 30 gallons of gas which I figure represents $0.40*30=$12.00 in savings.

Just checked and in three hours the lowest gasoline went from $1.99 to $2.02 and I am sure they will all be higher shortly.

$12, I am really proud of myself!
When you get serious about being frugal, get rid of the suburban and you can save twice that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:14 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
If I move it will be my SUV towing a small UHAUL trailer. If it doesn't fit inside it's not coming along.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 931,839 times
Quote:
In preparation for my retirement that is within the year i'm becoming a real Miser with my money. Today I saved $12 on gasoline.

I've been using GasBuddy and today I got an alert letting me know that gasoline in the area was trending upwards and could rise as high as $0.35 per gallon.

Looking at my GasBuddy ap I could see a gasoline prices within 3 miles of home from $1.99 to $2.39 per gallon so off we went to fill up the suburban and my wife's car.

Perfect timing... we purchased 30 gallons of gas which I figure represents $0.40*30=$12.00 in savings.

Just checked and in three hours the lowest gasoline went from $1.99 to $2.02 and I am sure they will all be higher shortly.

What I find really strange is I've never watched a few dollars back 5 years ago like I do today. I am becoming a skinflint and the funny thing is we don't have to be because our take-home income will be nearly as much, I figure within $5, as when I was working full-time.

But I'm watching money now, I am watching money as I've never watched it before in my life.
Good for you! Just think where you'd be if you did this thirty years ago!!!!

Old 07-29-2017, 04:52 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,129 times
Quote:
In preparation for my retirement that is within the year i'm becoming a real Miser with my money. Today I saved $12 on gasoline.

I've been using GasBuddy and today I got an alert letting me know that gasoline in the area was trending upwards and could rise as high as $0.35 per gallon.

What I find really strange is I've never watched a few dollars back 5 years ago like I do today. I am becoming a skinflint and the funny thing is we don't have to be because our take-home income will be nearly as much, I figure within $5, as when I was working full-time.

But I'm watching money now, I am watching money as I've never watched it before in my life.
I laughed when you checked the prices 3 hours later. Murphy's Law and all that, my assumption was the prices went down and thus you dumped all the gas out of your cars and filled up with the cheaper gas. We always do that just on principle alone.............................

Congratulations on your new hobby BUT remember, you can only tell people on line in a forum such as this. If you do it with your bricks and mortar friends, followed by what doctors you saw this week, you'll save gas by a drop in invitations.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:56 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,383,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
When you get serious about being frugal, get rid of the suburban and you can save twice that.
I love my suburban, it's a nice safe tank that is paid for, but with that said I never drive it round town on my dime. Since last Sunday I haven't driven it 12 miles and that includes the 8 miles I drove to gas it up.

We could do without a second vehicle once I fully retire (working half time now with two weeks on and three weeks off) but I like the option of a second stand by vehicle so we are never stuck.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:05 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
I park my Honda CRV and ride a Yamaha scooter for errands close by. Saves a lot on gas and wear on an old car. Sure don't want a car payment. Scooter gets 115 mpg and costs less than 4 bucks to fill. I spend about 20 a month on gas, if that.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:51 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
It's good to save the money. If that $12 makes or breaks you, that's where a problem is.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:31 PM

394 posts, read 156,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have 5 grand children and 3 kids and spouses .

there is always some event we are buying gifts for , clothes or taking them out to eat . we rarely let them pay. it just goes with being grandparents .
They should pick up the tab for restaurants. There are only one or two of you and more of them.
Do they pay you to watch the kids?

Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM

31,999 posts, read 36,629,245 times
Two things I've started doing....

One is it's getting easier to ask for that "Senior Discount"

Two is checking my Vanguard / American Funds accounts daily. ( I know I shouldn't)

And maybe a 3rd... Coming to CD Retirement section a whole lot more than I did a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement