U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:15 AM
 
2,292 posts, read 1,558,471 times
Reputation: 2737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I disagree that it is usual to become more conservative and much more conservative as one becomes older. I think that is a wrong assumption. And also, as to libertarian, there are not all that many libertarians. (one can quote figures, but one could also say many people do not even know what a libertarian is, and others who do know what it is, do not bother to vote for libertarians in elections.

Another wrong assumption to me is that anyone would become conservative and more conservative if they actually only knew and "understood how the world works". I disagree with that.
Certainly you have a right to disagree, but to me it is clear that compared to college student age, as one ages, one become more "conservative" generally. Not everyone but a very clear majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Reputation: 9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Certainly you have a right to disagree, but to me it is clear that compared to college student age, as one ages, one become more "conservative" generally. Not everyone but a very clear majority.
I agree with your post. The minute my kids entering the working world, i.e., no more money from mom and dad, they think differently. One already asked us for our log in password to WSJ, I hope she reads it. The other changed her registration to Republican(without me propping for it) and slightly more religious than us( that was a big surprised too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM
 
5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Reputation: 13676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

Oh, I think the usual becoming much more conservative (libertarian) as I got older and actually learned how the world works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post

Certainly you have a right to disagree, but to me it is clear that compared to college student age, as one ages, one become more "conservative" generally. Not everyone but a very clear majority.
Getting More Liberal With Age
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...with-age/?_r=0

"the conventional wisdom that people get more conservative as they age is wrong, according to sociological research.”

"relative to themselves as young people, today’s older folks have generally become more liberal than they once were.”

"The authors found that a given age cohort’s attitudes changed over time — more often later in life — and that “the direction of change is most often toward increased tolerance rather than increased conservatism.”

Do People Become More Conservative as They Age? - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com | NBC News

"Amidst the bipartisan banter of election season, there persists an enduring belief that people get more conservative as they age -- making older people more likely to vote for Republican candidates.
Ongoing research, however, fails to back up the stereotype. While there is some evidence that today's seniors may be more conservative than today's youth, that's not because older folks are more conservative than they use to be.”

"In fact, studies show that people may actually get more liberal over time when it comes to certain kinds of beliefs. That suggests that we are not pre-determined to get stodgy, set in our ways or otherwise more inflexible in our retirement years.”

"Contrary to popular belief, old age can be an open-minded and enlightening time.”

"Using surveys taken between 1972 and 2004, the researchers found that groups of people actually became more tolerant, not more conservative, after age 60 -- calling into question some enduring myths about old age. Survey questions addressed attitudes about boundaries of privacy (such as the right to die), historically subordinate groups (such as women and Blacks) and civil liberties (for groups like atheists).”

"Late in life, his research shows, people often become more open, more tolerant, and more appreciative of compassion. Even if they started out conservative, they may become less extreme in their conservatism."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Reputation: 27789
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Getting More Liberal With Age
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...with-age/?_r=0

"the conventional wisdom that people get more conservative as they age is wrong, according to sociological research.”

"relative to themselves as young people, today’s older folks have generally become more liberal than they once were.”

"The authors found that a given age cohort’s attitudes changed over time — more often later in life — and that “the direction of change is most often toward increased tolerance rather than increased conservatism.”

Do People Become More Conservative as They Age? - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com | NBC News

"Amidst the bipartisan banter of election season, there persists an enduring belief that people get more conservative as they age -- making older people more likely to vote for Republican candidates.
Ongoing research, however, fails to back up the stereotype. While there is some evidence that today's seniors may be more conservative than today's youth, that's not because older folks are more conservative than they use to be.”

"In fact, studies show that people may actually get more liberal over time when it comes to certain kinds of beliefs. That suggests that we are not pre-determined to get stodgy, set in our ways or otherwise more inflexible in our retirement years.”

"Contrary to popular belief, old age can be an open-minded and enlightening time.”

"Using surveys taken between 1972 and 2004, the researchers found that groups of people actually became more tolerant, not more conservative, after age 60 -- calling into question some enduring myths about old age. Survey questions addressed attitudes about boundaries of privacy (such as the right to die), historically subordinate groups (such as women and Blacks) and civil liberties (for groups like atheists).”

"Late in life, his research shows, people often become more open, more tolerant, and more appreciative of compassion. Even if they started out conservative, they may become less extreme in their conservatism."
This is from the person who said:

Quote:
Most of the information and knowledge in newspapers is accurate.
Studies and polls prove nothing, as many of them are designed to give a certain outcome in ways that would horrify a statistics major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 PM
 
1,040 posts, read 483,913 times
Reputation: 1434
my biggest 180 was that I ate meat, dairy, and eggs for decades...
After reading a few books and seeing numerous videos on how animals are treated I went vegan
best decision of my life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
don't think I have answered this yet, so will now: I don't think I have ever done 180 degree flip but I do know I accept the homosexual orientation now a lot more than I did 30 or more years ago. I am also not as conservative as I once was, but I am still on the right of middle. Oh at one time I was totally opposed to capital punishment: I have changed my mind on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Getting More Liberal With Age
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...with-age/?_r=0

"the conventional wisdom that people get more conservative as they age is wrong, according to sociological research.”

"relative to themselves as young people, today’s older folks have generally become more liberal than they once were.”

"The authors found that a given age cohort’s attitudes changed over time — more often later in life — and that “the direction of change is most often toward increased tolerance rather than increased conservatism.”

Do People Become More Conservative as They Age? - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com | NBC News

"Amidst the bipartisan banter of election season, there persists an enduring belief that people get more conservative as they age -- making older people more likely to vote for Republican candidates.
Ongoing research, however, fails to back up the stereotype. While there is some evidence that today's seniors may be more conservative than today's youth, that's not because older folks are more conservative than they use to be.”

"In fact, studies show that people may actually get more liberal over time when it comes to certain kinds of beliefs. That suggests that we are not pre-determined to get stodgy, set in our ways or otherwise more inflexible in our retirement years.”

"Contrary to popular belief, old age can be an open-minded and enlightening time.”

"Using surveys taken between 1972 and 2004, the researchers found that groups of people actually became more tolerant, not more conservative, after age 60 -- calling into question some enduring myths about old age. Survey questions addressed attitudes about boundaries of privacy (such as the right to die), historically subordinate groups (such as women and Blacks) and civil liberties (for groups like atheists).”

"Late in life, his research shows, people often become more open, more tolerant, and more appreciative of compassion. Even if they started out conservative, they may become less extreme in their conservatism."
all that one has to do is look at where you are getting your information to know it is very slanted. Of course on some issues many of us are more laid back and not as conservative but I am willing to bet more people become conservative than liberal as they age. At least that has been what I have experienced. You are correct about less extreme in some cases, but overall this isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 PM
 
234 posts, read 176,436 times
Reputation: 321
Was a moderate conservative. After seeing how millennials and the Cnn's and Msnbc's of the world act, I'm now a right wing conservative. I'm a retired cop and ex military. I was working when Obama turned the country against the police and tried to make the military a social experiment. When Trump was elected, it only got worse, without giving the guy a chance. In the words of Mike Pence, I'm Christian,Conservative and Republican. Although not so much the last, until they wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,511 posts, read 8,751,470 times
Reputation: 12192
Not really, but I am more aware of the unintended and, in some cases, undesirable consequences of policies I favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Reputation: 7908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Was a moderate conservative. After seeing how millennials and the Cnn's and Msnbc's of the world act, I'm now a right wing conservative. I'm a retired cop and ex military. I was working when Obama turned the country against the police and tried to make the military a social experiment. When Trump was elected, it only got worse, without giving the guy a chance. In the words of Mike Pence, I'm Christian,Conservative and Republican. Although not so much the last, until they wake up.
That's not a 180 turn..... You're just hardening your previous beliefs, the exact opposite of what we're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top