U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:08 PM

13,244 posts, read 24,531,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
my biggest 180 was that I ate meat, dairy, and eggs for decades...
After reading a few books and seeing numerous videos on how animals are treated I went vegan
best decision of my life
Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 AM

2,474 posts, read 915,092 times
I can't say that I've changed that highly on anything. I used to be a centrist but I've become quite a bit more conservative over time. Never had a period in my life when I was liberal, and I've definitely never been a bleeding heart.

Never been against mixed marriages although my family thought it was never intended to be. I always considered it part of evolution. I have a bigger issue with certain cultures mixing.

Used to be more accepting of abortion, and I guess I still am, only I think it should be on the expectant person's nickel, not the tax-payers.

As for same-sex marriages, I just don't care one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 AM

17,491 posts, read 21,360,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Switched from supporting the War in Vietnam (stop the dominos from falling) to totally opposing it (our Vietnamese side was not fully committed).

2. Switched from voting for Republicans (Nelson Rockefeller, Frank Sargent, Ed Brooke) to never voting again for anyone associated with the GOP: Party of Hate®.

3. Switched from not really caring about the South to totally despising all the traitors to the Union.
It took me awhile to digest it, Gore Vidal claiming there's, essentially, one political party in this country, in need of a 2nd, so now I merely put on a blindfold and vote!

I've also stopped discussing politics with anyone as exercises in futility. Well known, most voters vote emotionally, with the left brain disconnected, and once you're emotionally attached to a candidate, there's no turning back.

Lol! Nelson Rockefeller was the biggest spending RINO Governor that ever existed in this country. His spending habits would even embarrass a liberal Democrat!

One of his pledges as Governor, to open a new university in NY every single year of his rule. NY was going to the dogs during the recession, and yet, he pushed through a new Albany Capital project @$2 billion!

And it took the next Governor, a Democrat no less, to clean up the mess with austerity measures!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 AM

23,896 posts, read 17,784,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
That's not a 180 turn..... You're just hardening your previous beliefs, the exact opposite of what we're talking about.
I think a lot of us have hardened political beliefs, especially since the Bush administration. That was when I recall the partisanship getting personally nasty and dug in. In hindsight, I remember the left really hating Bush as a person. Looking back, all that rancor was mild compared to what we are going through now with Trump.

For many of us who do a 180, it's basically going to take some sort of hard crash in our lives that conflicts with our long held political beliefs to make those changes. For me, that happened when I was liberal and failed out of college. I thought Bush was screwing me over. I thought the man was keeping me down. I realized I wasn't taking responsibility for my failures, and was going to go nowhere in life until I accepted some responsibility and had a plan of action. I realized my political beliefs were contributing to my self-destructive behavior.

Back then, I was more of a Buckley conservative, though did hold a few views that would be considered alt-right today, and worked with some people who are now fairly prominent in the news. I never moved to Washington like many of them did, and those "what-ifs" are still regrets of mine. With that said, I've largely moved further to the Bannon camp over time, as mainstream Republicans have chronically proven themselves ineffectual.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,616,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of us have hardened political beliefs, especially since the Bush administration. That was when I recall the partisanship getting personally nasty and dug in. In hindsight, I remember the left really hating Bush as a person. Looking back, all that rancor was mild compared to what we are going through now with Trump.

For many of us who do a 180, it's basically going to take some sort of hard crash in our lives that conflicts with our long held political beliefs to make those changes. .....
Well in fairness that's what this thread is ostensibly about, having a road to Damascus experience in adulthood that changed one's perspective about life & what happened & why. 98% of us have our ideas/principals/politics that get a bit more resolute or a bit more moderate as we age, it's that 2% that turn completely around from a given path that is the interesting story.

I didn't start this thread but I find it interesting how few of us really diverge from where we started from. In the West we are perhaps unique in that we can choose a "tribe" in adulthood: change or reject our religion, read the newspaper & say "Hell No!" & change our politics or choose a different politics from our family/childhood friends. Get up & leave our ancestral home. That is a luxury not known in most of the less developed world due to realities needed for tribalism survival.

(And to your point about the Bush administration, #1- I think W may be the happiest person in the US right now since his regard by historians as one of the worst Presidents in modern times has been super-ceded by the last 6 months. And I'm not sure the rancor at him was anywhere near the personal bile & anger that Obama & Trump endures, it seemed more like his predecessors, ie., just par for politics, esp in wartime & with a financial collapse.
#2 - Probably because of your "relative youth", no offense, but the partisanship getting personally nasty & vicious started exactly with Newt Gingrich, he explicitly introduced the idea of personal attacks & party members not fraternizing at any time even after hours with the Dems, which is when a lot of dealing used to take place, it became a blood sport then. Not my opinion... fact. I do apologize for the diversion.)

Old 08-18-2017, 12:33 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,636,034 times
The 180 turn I have done politically is that I was only mildly concerned with politics before and that they had no bearing on most people's social life. But now extreme partisanship has grown to a point where everything has become politicized or needs to be turned into a political battleground. Every activity some one engages in and enjoys is has a political connotation. It fills me with disgust and sadness to hear stories about how longtime friendships, family ties and relationships have been severed because of the way someone votes or their political views.

Someone was once quoted as saying that "politics was the art of compromise" But if this statement is true then what we see now is not politics but a bunch of ideologues shouting at each other trying to rile up people using misinformation and emotionally loaded language instead of using logic and reason.

Extremists are quite childlike and immature in that they think the world does and should revolve around them and their ideas. They don't really care about other people. And view those who aren't like them or don't think like them as sub-humans not worthy of even the most basic respect.

And as soon as I post this comment some smart assed commentator will be quick to point that the opposing side is the only side that represents these traits while completely ignoring that the they and their side exhibit the same exact mentality.
This brings me to another childish characteristic that those on the far right and far left is a lack of self-awareness to recognize that what they're pointing out in the other side is very much present in their own.

In a country with 7 billion people who have different views and life stories I really see no value in being radical left or extreme right.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-18-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 12:56 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,636,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Actually The nastiness of the political arena goes back far longer than Bush. Fox News itself began operating during the Clinton administration. I think this level of political vitriol may have began during the Nixon administration or the Carter administration and has only gotten worse and worse over decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I didn't start this thread but I find it interesting how few of us really diverge from where we started from. In the West we are perhaps unique in that we can choose a "tribe" in adulthood: change or reject our religion, read the newspaper & say "Hell No!" & change our politics or choose a different politics from our family/childhood friends. Get up & leave our ancestral home. That is a luxury not known in most of the less developed world due to realities needed for tribalism survival.
Yes we've always had this ability but it seems that less and less people are utilizing it now.

You should read The Complacent Class by Tyler Cowen. It explains how less and less people are willing to go outside their comfort zone both socially and financially and how it will stagnate innovation and creation more than any regulation a politician can draw up.

I kind of agree with him and I think both the recession and the prevalence of social media has a lot to do with people not venturing outside their bubbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement