Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,767,640 times

Advertisements

In my late teens and early twenties, I thought I had all the answers and couldn't understand why so many others just didn't seem to "get it."

The older I grow, the more I realize how little I really know. Today, it doesn't matter to me what the world and others say or do, I rely on God's truth standard, the Bible, even when I imagine that I see another answer with my own eyes.

"What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? 4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge.” Romans 3:3-4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:16 PM

626 posts, read 622,044 times
The biggest 180 degree turn for me was Gay Marriage. I was previously adamantly opposed to this and did not think gay people should get married at all. That was until one of my best friends sat me down and told me that she is Gay and she has a fiance now. She was wanting to tell me and get my approval of everything because we both consider each other family so I am the Big Brother so to speak. So I met her fiance and was one of her best men in the wedding, and now her wife and I get along great.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,311,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What is Trumpism, getting as rich as possible and screwing all you can while doing it. He doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
To me, it is the American version of the European "Eurasianist" parties.

They believe they are allies with Duginists because supposedly Duginists support neo traditionalism, tribal nationalism, and are anti globalist in nature.

Now I am right in there criticizing aspects of globalism, however, the Eurasianists' siren song is a death wish. Ask all those who followed the Pan movements of the 20th century.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,311,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Only two key issues for me. I'm a libertarian leaning conservative (not Republican!) boomer in my mid 50's. Retired military, now work in federal law enforcement technical support.

1- Death Penalty- I used to be "String 'em up!" Now, I am against it. The advent of DNA testing changed my mind. Life imprisonment is better for the really bad ones, IMO. It keeps them out of the populace, and they are still breathing for the "just in case" change in disposition if new evidence happens to become available. With most states having years of automatic appeals and such, the costs to the taxpayer between life in prison vs death penalty really starts to get close to each other. Worth it in my mind. This came as a revelation to me.

2- Gay rights/marriage. I was repulsed in my younger days on a visceral level concerning same sex relations, but slowly over time realized that straight people can do gross things also, and (more importantly) that gay people really had no impact on my life simply because they were gay. I also came to accept that most gay people are born that way, it is not a choice they make. I had also come to personally know quite a few stable, reasonable and friendly gay folks, which also made a difference to me.They are people just like me, but with some differences I can certianly accept. This 180 came to me over time, it was not quick. Caveat: I still do not care for some gay politics though, as it is often aligned with far loony left "victim" nonsense.

That is about it.

Postscript: I liked cats when I was younger, Now I'm a dog guy 100%! Does that count? Dogs are very social.
According the Strauss and Howe, Boom went from 1943 through 1960. 1961 through 1981 were X.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 07-31-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 05:38 PM

13,264 posts, read 8,361,848 times
Gradually regrouped and currently maintain the following
1: I give of my time to certain humanitarian causes. I no longer line the pockets of researchers or societies generated to appease to their causes. Last I checked kidney,cancer,leukemia,heart disease still haven't produced any major break through. Billions contributed and the diseases continue. But by golly call these 'societies' and they'll send you a little ribbon and put you on their contribution campaign.
2: if I ever thought there was any reason to be a republican, this recent debacle by angst ridden voters affirmed my choice to stay out of that political affiliation.
3: believe in right to defend and disagree that a bullet /nuclear is the answer.
4: abortion- it's not an issue. I respect a person's choice on healthy medical decisions.
5: hard drugs regulation. Yup as an informed adult I no longer take lightly the decision to keep such in a regulated division. But alas our society simply sees profits from opening Pandora box. They actually have found away to let a person kill themselves and others all while counting their money . Survival of the fittest.
6: no longer invest in stocks or banking.
7: I know ..less and believe more. That has been empowering.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,219,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've always been conservative and have had no 180 degree turns in my lifetime.
I was a Democrat. But in those days the Democrats WERE the Conservatives. Then the Democrats started turning into liberals and I became a Republican. Then the Republicians became Rinos so Im just plain a Conservative these days. I vote for who seems to be the best bet for my grandkids.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 26 days ago)

34,586 posts, read 16,645,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
A few years later, CU/DP was legalized. For same sex couples, too. I could not then, or now, think again of a single moral or legal reason why such couples should *not* be allowed to do this.
Do you want them being able to raise children in most cases?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,804,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
What is something you believe now that you thought that you would never change your mind about when you were younger?
It's not so much that I changed my mind, but that I became aware that there is a vast array of options out there beyond the typical "A" or "B" options presented to us in the political realm as if they are the only two options possible.

Almost always, I have discovered there are other possibilities that are far outside the standard A/B options that are never discussed / information is suppressed.

It's kind of goes like this: There's the stuff you know. Then there's the stuff you know that you don't know. Then there's the stuff that you don't know that you don't know. That last category has an overwhelming amount of possibilities that few people even consider, or know they could consider.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 PM

20,657 posts, read 8,415,340 times
Never thought I'd register to vote as a Republican but had to in my state to vote for Trump in the primary. After he was elected Prez, I totally unregistered and cancelled my registration because I worried about identity theft in my crooked blue state. I'll register to vote again before the next election but prefer not to belong to any party unless I absolutely have to. Mainly because you get those annoying letters begging for money from everybody!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:03 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,529,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
According the Strauss and Howe, Boom went from 1943 through 1960. 1961 through 1981 were X.
Almost every source indicates the boomer years are 1946 to 1964, inclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement