U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times

Advertisements

I was very religious for some of my life but always believing in a deity the rest of it until recent years when I had to admit to myself I was now an atheist. Never would've thought that would happen but I kept asking questions, something that has limits when one espouses faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
When I was the age of the older Millennials of today I was a fire breathing Right Winger.

I still consider myself on the Right, however, the experience of the 2016 election really turned me off to certain factions of the Right.

For years I could not imagine myself voting for a Democrat PotUS candidate but that's exactly what I did last November.
I was the exact opposite. Trump was my first choice, followed by Sanders, then any other Republican over Hillary. I've had views similar to Trumpism for years.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:52 PM

496 posts, read 1,287,421 times
My parents were communist hippies. I remember watching them sit with their friends one night getting stoned going on about the man, the government, other people. My parents were thieves and sucked off the welfare system.

My aunt had given me a copy of The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitzen and I had just finished it. I started thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this picture'. I wasn't very old but I started drifting to the right from that point on.

I realize there are many people on the left with good intentions. But if it doesn't work in the real world I'm not interested in it. Ideas have consequences and bad ideas hurt people in the long run.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 PM

88 posts, read 37,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That is quite a charade. It shocks me that you carried it out. You're not joking?
I'm not joking, although admittedly I was using some hyperbole. In arts and letters, humanities and social sciences, the prevailing winds lean very Left. I'm somewhere in the moderate middle, yet even that didn't seem to please certain Professors. When I tried to look at the world through a Marxist lens as they did, earned A's and had a 4.0 GPA in my major. It really was a role, as all the world's a stage.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:49 PM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Nothing to turn 180 degree on social issues. I'm usually neutral on these issues. I won't do them but others can. Except the difference is who pays for them. I don't think government should pay for these things. However, if you as a private person has money to pay for them, I don't have any problem. Zero issue.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 PM

23,635 posts, read 8,219,173 times
Approaching 79, I'm still the bleeding heart liberal I've been for 50 some yrs but backing out of the political circus now.

MORE than ever into healing myself than being a slave to the medical world. Hope my practice continues. I'm doing my best there. Getting older only gives me less confidence in our medical world.

Oh, I finally got off the fence on religion. I buy none of it.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 PM

23,635 posts, read 8,219,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was the exact opposite. Trump was my first choice, followed by Sanders, then any other Republican over Hillary. I've had views similar to Trumpism for years.
What is Trumpism, getting as rich as possible and screwing all you can while doing it. He doesn't know whether he's coming or going.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 PM

890 posts, read 676,459 times
Seems like this topic belongs elsewhere [talking to myself]

Good discussion, though, and thus far civil.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
I've always been more or less liberal and haven't changed. Was against the Viet Nam war in college, have always voted Democrat.

One thing that changed was that back in the late '60s I had never known a gay person. I don't remember what I thought about them but I think I probably didn't like them, was anti gay. Then I met a gay guy who was absolutely wonderful. My husband and I used to double date with this guy and his friend.

The one gay guy really confided in us about how he hated being gay and that he never even knew he was gay for a long time. He just couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He went to therapy and tried to change. He hated the whole gay lifestyle. I really developed a sense of empathy for him and for what he had to endure and that changed my mind about gay people. I know it's hard to believe that anyone would be anti gay but this was a long time ago. Today I have absolutely nothing against gay people so I have evolved based upon personal experience.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 PM

576 posts, read 193,149 times
After six and a half years being hard core ethical vegan, there was some kind of switch flipped in my brain and my views changed a bit. I am now lacto ovo vegetarian but no longer totally opposed to others eating meat depending on the source. I still can't see myself ever eating meat/fish/poultry etc (never really liked meat) and still practice some vegan values (don't wear leather, silk, suede and use plant based soap etc), but am far more flexible (allowing for honey, eggs, dairy in my diet and accepting that I need a few medications that are not vegan). I used to think I would be vegan for life. I was sure of it until my last year when I began to question some "grey areas" and hypocrisy. I was also simultaneously struggling with long term health issues (eating disorder namely anorexia, and severe osteoporosis), and started hating the person I had become (judgmental, pushing others away, setting impossible standards, avoiding social situations etc). I was turned off by this in others in vegan communities. I struggled for years with side effects from supplements I took to meet needs such as B12, DHA (took a plant based supplement), calcium/D. My goal now is to get all that from food, at least a good bit more of it. Real food. Still mindful of the source but acknowledging the suffering involved and just having to learn to be ok with it. No one's a saint.

I guess all these factors combined to push me into "stepping down". It was really really hard to "come out" with my change to others because I had been so radically vegan for so long. I used to leaflet colleges and high schools and do other forms of activism, and worked hard trying to convert family members to vegan. Thankfully no one has been too overly harsh about my change (ie told you so etc). In person vegan friends are fairly open ended about it, but i had to cut ties with some radical vegan "friends" on Facebook. I'm much happier with where I'm at right now. My anxiety level has gone down a lot. I feel like a nicer person to others, more accepting of differences and more compassionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement