U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 AM

10,333 posts, read 4,891,329 times

Advertisements

I was 18 when abortion became legal in 1973. I didn't see any big deal about someone having an abortion if it was done before 12 weeks when supposedly that is when the heart started beating (remember this was 1973). Now I am against abortion, but I would never picket in front of an abortion clinic because it is not my place to judge what another woman is going through. If I'm not willing to adopt & raise her baby I have no right to prevent any woman from having one. So I went from thinking abortion was no big deal to believing abortion kills a developing person.

However, I remember when people who opposed abortion back in 1973 said legalizing abortion would give people less respect for human life. When I see all the senseless killings over stupid, petty things, it does me make me wonder if by legalizing abortion we gave our citizens the idea that life is easily terminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 AM

23,800 posts, read 8,314,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've always been more or less liberal and haven't changed. Was against the Viet Nam war in college, have always voted Democrat.

One thing that changed was that back in the late '60s I had never known a gay person. I don't remember what I thought about them but I think I probably didn't like them, was anti gay. Then I met a gay guy who was absolutely wonderful. My husband and I used to double date with this guy and his friend.

The one gay guy really confided in us about how he hated being gay and that he never even knew he was gay for a long time. He just couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He went to therapy and tried to change. He hated the whole gay lifestyle. I really developed a sense of empathy for him and for what he had to endure and that changed my mind about gay people. I know it's hard to believe that anyone would be anti gay but this was a long time ago. Today I have absolutely nothing against gay people so I have evolved based upon personal experience.

I was thinking about your comment and back when I was a kid they talked about fairys and queers and I wasn't sure what that even meant. Then moving to So. Cal in the 60's my whole life opened up and acceptance of all beings human or animal was engrained in me. Maybe we hetro folks are the minority as we sure have made some messes in the world. Just thinking. Homo people have been around since the beginning of time. I've not studied this issue, but sure have met some "great" other than hetro people.

Just thinking...thanks.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
I was always a bleeding heart liberal, atheist and pro-abortion. I marched in Berkeley against the Vietnam war as a teenager. I'm a middle boomer (Nixon Era). I met my husband 23 years ago and he is the exact opposite. With him I started listening to Rush Limbaugh and Dennis Prager. I have turned around, maybe not a full 180 but nearly there on all these issues. As Dennis Prager has said the left are really nice people....they're just wrong. I have changed my party affiliation to Republican. I don't go to church or read the bible but I'm wavering on whether or not God exists. And I now oppose abortion but in certain extenuating circumstances I'm ok with it. Just not because someone just doesn't want to have a kid.
Oh that is wild. I was about to agree with you and when you said Rush and Dennis I cringed. I will die a bleeding heart liberal...for the people all the way, and yes corporations are needed but they sure get the breaks in life.

I went from a lifelong believer, to saying it's all foolish how we kill in the name of religions.

Interesting on your reversal.

I have a neighbor who is a flaming fundi and I'm waiting for her reversal...so far not the case. She had me in hell a long time ago.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-29-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All my life I have been very apolitical, I couldn't have cared less about who was in office because it really didn't affect me one way or another. Then along came Donald Trump and it all changed. I found I had to add my voice to those who are against him because a lot of people are going to be adversely affected if he is able to do the things he wants.

So, now I am very interested in politics and listen to every NPR show and every news broadcast I can to learn as much as I can. That is my 180.
Well, Don, a person who woke up. So far he is being blocked, more blocking will continue. I believe I've read there are more liberals than conservatives in the U.S. I really don't know what he TRULY is. Back stabber and "you're fired".

Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I haven't changed much, raised in a union town, graduated a "liberal" university, I've always been liberal. However since I have moved around I have been perceived differently depending on where I lived.
In San Francisco I was considered a moderate Democrat.
When I went home to Wisconsin I was considered a Progressive
Now that I live in the South I'm considered the illegitimate sister of Michael Moore.
Your last sentence gave me a chuckle. I thought about moving to the south but came running back to So. Cal. I could NOT exist there...plus the humidity. J

Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have always been and still am a political atheist.

I think both sides are corrupt; they just have different owners with the exception of Goldman Sachs, who owns both sides.

I cancelled my cable and mostly listen to music and read.

Don't waste your time getting riled up about politics. Instead, smell the flowers.
I believe that too about both sides are corrupt, BUT have to believe love what the DEMS have done for us...starting with FDR.

I got rid of cable this year. Now it's NPR and talk progressive radio.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,863,927 times
I think I always have been a progressive Democrat....... growing up in Wisconsin. Moved to California and happily loved the political atmophere there.... Democrats were progressive but pushed the envelope more there.

Then we moved to Utah. I could not - for the life of me - defend the Utah Democratic Party. Way too conservative..... and it's gotten worse over time.

Now? I call myself a Barack Obama Democrat.

So no - no 180's here.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:17 AM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
When I was in my twenties, I couldn't understand the "gay thing".

It is is painful for me to admit it, but I harbored those prejudices for a long time. I see many of us as having been brainwashed and manipulated by certain people in leadership roles in organized religion. For many years, our politicians refused to stand up to them. There was much ignorance. Only in the last quarter century has that ignorance and silliness begun to vanish.

Now, I am extremely supportive of rights for all Americans including every letter in the LBGTQ acronymn.

I cheered when the Supreme Court rendered its opinion holding that denial of the right of gay Americans to marry violated the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

I now see this country on what is a breathtaking march to "liberty" for every American regardless of race, religion, national origin, sex, or sexual orientation. I hope we get there within my lifetime, but if we don't, I have enough faith to believe we will ultimately get there.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When I was in my twenties, I couldn't understand the "gay thing".

It is is painful for me to admit it, but I harbored those prejudices for a long time. I see many of us as having been brainwashed and manipulated by certain people in leadership roles in organized religion. For many years, our politicians refused to stand up to them. There was much ignorance. Only in the last quarter century has that ignorance and silliness begun to vanish.

Now, I am extremely supportive of rights for all Americans including every letter in the LBGTQ acronymn.

I cheered when the Supreme Court rendered its opinion holding that denial of the right of gay Americans to marry violated the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

I now see this country on what is a breathtaking march to "liberty" for every American regardless of race, religion, national origin, sex, or sexual orientation. I hope we get there within my lifetime, but if we don't, I have enough faith to believe we will ultimately get there.
Wonderfully stated.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,082,014 times
My 180 degree turn around is guns. I used to be so anti gun. I've come to the realization that criminals don't care about laws. They will get guns and use them regardless of what the law states.

I've watched several sad cases where Criminals go in and shoot up a place that was considered a 'safe' zone because guns weren't allowed. It just made it easier for those that care nothing about the law to go in and kill...with no fear of retaliation.

If it was known that it was ok to carry with a permit (someone that has taken courses, tests and had background checks) do you think those same criminals would think about starting something if they thought they wouldn't be able to do as much damage?

Safe zones are basically saying there is no one here that can potentially stop you from killing.

That's my 180* turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement